#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2022, 12:49 PM   #1
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
GoPro Tips / Discussion

I feel like I've finally dialed in my GoPro settings and camera position. I wanted to share with the community in the event it is helpful to anyone.

I'm using the Tackform Headrest Mount. There are a few different ones, but this is the one I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XIB6SK4/ I use it mounted to the passenger headrest and it's adjusted to sit close to center between the two front seats.

My GoPro is a Hero 9 and I have the Media Mod. There is still some wind noise with the Media Mod mic, but it picks up the supercharger whine nicely. As an alternative, I have a mic mounted in the trunk which sounds great and violent, but it misses out on the supercharger sounds. I'm going to play around with placement, maybe somewhere in the front wheelwell, engine bay or maybe even down in the interior passenger footwell to see what it picks up.

Quick note: I was having overheating issues at 4K | 60 FPS, so I've dialed it back to 2.7K | 60 FPS.

The settings I'm using are as follows:
RES | FPS: 2.7K | 60
Lens: Linear
HyperSmooth: Off
Bit Rate: High
Shutter: Auto
EV Comp: -1.0
White Balance: Auto
ISO Min: 100
ISO Max: 400
Sharpness: High
Color: GoPro
RAW Audio: Off
Wind: Off

Here is a track session from this past weekend at NJMP Thunderbolt:

Open to other suggestions, but I'm pretty happy with the footage using these settings.

Edit: As a comparison, here is the audio in a different session utilizing the external mic I have in the trunk:
It's this mic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTAH62/ and this windscreen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HX40OL6/
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have a gopro hero 9 also and i forgot my settings but i use a rollbar mount and some lil screen covers to help with the glare/sun it works pretty well
Old 06-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have a gopro hero 9 also and i forgot my settings but i use a rollbar mount and some lil screen covers to help with the glare/sun it works pretty well
I believe those are called ND filters. I haven't tried them, but I'm quite happy with the footage I'm getting with the above settings. The interior is a little dark in some scenes, but the view through the windshield is not washed out and is really clear (IMO). I can still see my steering inputs quite well and I like the angle of the footage. I assume your roll bar mount is in a similar location / similar view? Do you have any footage you can share using the ND filters?
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 06-01-2022, 01:41 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
there you go yup i already forgot lol and i have footage but still need to learn how to edit it and add the overlay since i dont have pdr im going to work on my footage from my last track day this week so ill post it up later
Old 06-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #5
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I have a similar setup but I have my mic mounted above the exhaust outside of the trunk. I was thinking of putting it in the engine to see what it picks up but I haven't tried it yet.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Your go pro settings are pretty much identical to mine. I also run 2.7k for resolution. I have my mic taped to my license plate when I want to record, sounds fantastic. I like your in car supercharger whine better than the trunk mic,sounds awesome.

I don't have PDR so I run track addict with an OBDII scanner to record telemetry.

Here's an example of my setup.

https://youtu.be/91HotxjnbG4
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:04 PM   #7
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Your go pro settings are pretty much identical to mine. I also run 2.7k for resolution. I have my mic taped to my license plate when I want to record, sounds fantastic. I like your in car supercharger whine better than the trunk mic,sounds awesome.

I don't have PDR so I run track addict with an OBDII scanner to record telemetry.

Here's an example of my setup.

https://youtu.be/91HotxjnbG4
Nice. Your setup looks and sounds great! Similar view to mine. The mic on the license plate sounds better than mine in the trunk -- I get a lot of tire pickup noise with the mic in the trunk. But I agree, the in car supercharger whine overall sounds better than the external mic in my trunk. I'm going to try some different positioning for the external mic in the cabin, maybe wheelwell, maybe tucked up under the car near the front somewhere, etc. I'd stick with the Media Mod mic if it weren't for the wind noise. I think I can figure out a spot that still captures the engine noise, but cuts out the wind.

YouTube
Old 06-06-2022, 12:32 AM   #8
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The best interior shot I get is putting a harness on my px seat headrest and wrapping it with a crapload of blue tape. perspective is perfect. Doing a suction mount from the sunroof requires extensions to seem normal, but the headrest is a good spot.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #9
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
why turn hyper smooth off?

i use 2, one facing me, one on the road, mine look great at

RES | FPS: 4k | 30
Lens: wide
HyperSmooth: high
Bit Rate: standard
EV Comp: 0
ISO Max: 1600
Wind: auto
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:28 PM   #10
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
why turn hyper smooth off?

i use 2, one facing me, one on the road, mine look great at

RES | FPS: 4k | 30
Lens: wide
HyperSmooth: high
Bit Rate: standard
EV Comp: 0
ISO Max: 1600
Wind: auto
I really dislike what HyperSmooth does with in-car videos. As you take corners, the video pans left and right which looks quite unnatural and distracting to me. I prefer the camera to have a fixed view.

One other benefit I've noticed with turning HyperSmooth off is the footage looks "faster" and more violent (if that makes sense). However, the footage is more bouncy with HyperSmooth off.

This is HyperSmooth ON

This is HyperSmooth OFF

YouTube
Old 06-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #11
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Here's a sample video from a stint at Summit Point in April.

I have GoPro 6 headrest mounted with a mic routed all the way into the trunk (above the exhaust)
Old 02-20-2023, 10:28 PM   #12
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Here's a sample video from a stint at Summit Point in April.

I have GoPro 6 headrest mounted with a mic routed all the way into the trunk (above the exhaust)
Your audio sounds really good. I’ve put my mic in 3 different spots in the trunk and I still get that helicopter noise with the windows down. Which mic did you use?
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #13
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
My gopro setup is an adapter for mic in. And a $15 mic clipped to the license plate.

That's all you need
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t9kKPNvU_fY

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:32 PM   #14
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
My gopro setup is an adapter for mic in. And a $15 mic clipped to the license plate.

That's all you need
https://youtube.com/watch?v=t9kKPNvU_fY
Personally, I hear a lot of distortion in the audio. I think the exhaust is far too loud for the mic. You may have better results in the trunk

YouTube