Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Is this step in the oil change procedure really necessary?

Now be honest- how many of you have changed your oil without "pre-heating" it?
It no longer seems really necessary to me due to the low (0w/40 full synthetic and the 0w is when it's cold) oils we use today. I mean didn't it all drop into the pan after the last full drive that actually got the stuff good and hot?
I don't mean middle of winter with freezing temps but when the ambient temp is >60 degrees or more it still comes out briskly. If it's hot-hot it flies outta there like a living creature trying to escape! I've hit the inside sidewall of the front passenger tire.
Some may say the start-up will stir up settled stuff lying in the pan, but I think even when "cold" the flow of 10 quarts would be sufficient to move out any particulate bits the engine has spit off. I mean, I hope I don't have the Titanic in the bottom of my motor but I think I would have known before the oil change if I did.
Not looking to stir up controversy or commit heresy against automotive common wisdom- just finished changing the oil and wanted to get some opinions. Thanks-
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I always warm it up a little. It's not hard to do - why not?
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:11 PM   #3
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
You will get so many answers for this. I have tried both methods....I prep the car the night before, put it up on ramps etc, let it all drain down to the bottom hoping you will get every last drop out. Some times I will let the engine idle for a few mins to warm it up. I think it's really up to you.

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I run it for few minutes - just so it flows out faster. 10qts of thick, cold oil will drain veryy slowly.

Optional - but a good idea.

Some might even pour some fresh oil in to help flush out the old.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:27 AM   #5
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I cannot see how it would matter one way or the other if you warm up the oil or not.

Running the car for a few minutes to get the oil warm is not a bad idea but it can suck doing an oil change with the temp at operating temp.

Do what works best for you.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:44 AM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
If you want to have the oil analyzed by Blackstone or another lab then it matters for the accuracy of the test. Blackstone recommends that you bring the engine up to operating temperature to remove excess moisture and fuel from the oil and then let it cool enough to be safe.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I drive it around the block once. That does get it warm.
I don't like getting burned by oil or messing with a hot filter.
I do let the oil drain for about 10 minutes, until it is actually coming out in drops and not a thin stream.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:12 AM   #8
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
If you want to have the oil analyzed by Blackstone or another lab then it matters for the accuracy of the test. Blackstone recommends that you bring the engine up to operating temperature to remove excess moisture and fuel from the oil and then let it cool enough to be safe.
This is kind of my point- if you know you drove yesterday far enuff to get her hot (the car engine boys, not your passenger), if you start and do a perfunctory "warm-up" you've just added moisture not only to the oil but the exhaust system (I'm showing my age here, used to be you'd have to replace exhausts on a regular basis, now we got stainless steel) and done a little more "wear and tear" that start-ups provide. My wife calls me anal, but I prefer conscientious BTW.

Nobody wants to crawl under a hot engine, so unless I got some free time (or the inclination), after a drive (never seems to happen)- I'm changing mine at room temp.

Here in S. Utah we are in the corner of the Mojave desert and it stays pretty warm in my attached garage. Also my method of draining is to just jack up the front driver's side corner (and stick in a jack stand) which tips the engine back toward the drain and puts the drain on the downhill side. I'm confident I'm getting all the old stuff out and I give it lots of time to drain.

There you have it. Thanks for the honest responses and have a great week!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:54 PM   #9
Karl Carson
SHRFT

Drives: 2017 2SS vert 50 anniversary
The main reason I warm the engine before an oil change is to suspend any contaminates in the oil. They should then flow out much more efficiently. As VENTMASTER stated, I also raise the driver side for a quick flow speed.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:50 AM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Now be honest- how many of you have changed your oil without "pre-heating" it?
It no longer seems really necessary to me due to the low (0w/40 full synthetic and the 0w is when it's cold) oils we use today. I mean didn't it all drop into the pan after the last full drive that actually got the stuff good and hot?
If you have a Stahlbus valve, then you'll understand the value of pre-heating your oil. If you don't, you might be waiting a half hour or more for the drain. Necessary? No, but I won't make that mistake again. Even warm it takes >10 minutes. Your car your time your money your rules.

and FYI: 0w40 is higher viscosity than 5w30.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #11
snekk

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE 10AT
I send my oil in to Blackstone every time and I like to pre-heat it so that the sample is well mixed.
  • Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
  • Track Alignment (-2 Front, -1.5 Rear, 0.1 Toe)

2019 VW Golf R DSG (Daily/AutoX)
  • EQT Stage 1 ECU/TCU Tune
  • 350whp, 3.6s 0-60
snekk is offline   Reply With Quote