Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
STReddy1999

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
SS 1LE vs. Mach 1

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a thread with Mach 1 in the title besides one where the author was asking if the Mach 1 will be a hybrid. The configurator for the Mach 1 has been on Ford's website for a little bit now so I decided to compare the SS 1LE with the Mach 1 in terms of options and pricing. My goal was to build two cars that had similar features and see what the price difference was.

2021 Camaro SS: $50,295
-2SS Coupe
-6-speed Manual
-1LE Track Performance Package
-PDR

2021 Mustang Mach 1: $59,010
-Mach 1 Premium
-6-speed Manual
-Mach 1 Handling Package

Important to note is the Mach 1 Handling Package is $3,500. I felt that was necessary because the stock tires are 275 rear and 255 front, this package gives it 315 rear and 305 front. I felt that was fair, but if you don't think so just take $3,500 off the Mach 1. Doesn't matter anyways, though, because the Mach 1 is $8,715 more. So for the price comparison, I think the Camaro wins handily.

Price comparison out of the way, the features for both cars are relatively identical. I put the PDR on the Camaro just because (the price difference is $10,015 if I remove it), I don't see anything in the Mach 1's description to suggest it has such a feature except it says it has "Track Apps". I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two yet, but I'd imagine the Mach 1 will have slightly better max lateral G because of the increased track width front and rear and the Cup 2 tires. Ultimately, I think the Mach 1 still loses around a track to the SS 1LE because of the weight, and the chassis it sits on is inferior to the Alpha. Thoughts?
2014 Camaro RS - Sold
STReddy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:45 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm not really a fan of the Mach 1. I simply don't knowhow many different versions of PP1ish-PP2ish configurations Ford thinks they have to throw out there.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I do not think the M1 is going to match the SLE at all around a track.

What Ford should have done was to make the Mach 1 a lower HP version of the GT500 instead of making it a higher HP version of the GT.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:03 AM   #3
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
SS 1LE will still dominate the road course
Old 04-06-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
CHerna

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
The Mach 1 gets a Tremec and not the MT82, so perhaps it will be a decent car. Someone down the street from me (presumably a Ford employee) has different Mach 1's parked in their driveway regularly. They don't look great, but they don't look terrible either. Hard to put my finger on it.

Previous: Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Just wait for Sam Strano's results, he just bought a Mach 1 and had 2 SS1LEs.

Price wise absolutely the 1LE wins and I think it still has the performance covered too, but if it doesn't just take your saved money and throw on some 19s with those same 305/315 tires as the Mach 1 and it will be back in front again.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I could be wrong, but didnt think the Mach 1 could come with options the 2SS has like heated/ventilated seats and heated steering wheel. You added PDR to the 1LE, but that is not an option on the Mach 1 either.

To me, the Mach 1 is overpriced based on content and performance. I think it looks pretty good though, especially with the Handling Pack wheels.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
It would be a very interesting H2H. I bet that the best performance for the $ would be from the Camaro.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm not really a fan of the Mach 1. I simply don't knowhow many different versions of PP1ish-PP2ish configurations Ford thinks they have to throw out there.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I do not think the M1 is going to match the SLE at all around a track.

What Ford should have done was to make the Mach 1 a lower HP version of the GT500 instead of making it a higher HP version of the GT.
Agreed. the Mach 1 is a decent package - better than the Bullitt but nothing special. I think the Mach might be able to come close to matching the performance of the SS1LE, but I still expect the 1LE to come out on top. Also the SS1LE is a much much better value.

I agree with Blaq, it shouldn't have been another handling car. The mach 1 historically has never been that. They should have tried to get the power over 500 and made it a boulevard bruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I could be wrong, but didnt think the Mach 1 could come with options the 2SS has like heated/ventilated seats and heated steering wheel. You added PDR to the 1LE, but that is not an option on the Mach 1 either.

To me, the Mach 1 is overpriced based on content and performance. I think it looks pretty good though, especially with the Handling Pack wheels.
This ^ the Mach 1 w/ handling pack looks killler. Overprice though Even if it somehow tops the 1LE, the 1LE is such a better value
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
MBSS1LE

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by STReddy1999 View Post
I'm sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a thread with Mach 1 in the title besides one where the author was asking if the Mach 1 will be a hybrid. The configurator for the Mach 1 has been on Ford's website for a little bit now so I decided to compare the SS 1LE with the Mach 1 in terms of options and pricing. My goal was to build two cars that had similar features and see what the price difference was.

2021 Camaro SS: $50,295
-2SS Coupe
-6-speed Manual
-1LE Track Performance Package
-PDR

2021 Mustang Mach 1: $59,010
-Mach 1 Premium
-6-speed Manual
-Mach 1 Handling Package

Important to note is the Mach 1 Handling Package is $3,500. I felt that was necessary because the stock tires are 275 rear and 255 front, this package gives it 315 rear and 305 front. I felt that was fair, but if you don't think so just take $3,500 off the Mach 1. Doesn't matter anyways, though, because the Mach 1 is $8,715 more. So for the price comparison, I think the Camaro wins handily.

Price comparison out of the way, the features for both cars are relatively identical. I put the PDR on the Camaro just because (the price difference is $10,015 if I remove it), I don't see anything in the Mach 1's description to suggest it has such a feature except it says it has "Track Apps". I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two yet, but I'd imagine the Mach 1 will have slightly better max lateral G because of the increased track width front and rear and the Cup 2 tires. Ultimately, I think the Mach 1 still loses around a track to the SS 1LE because of the weight, and the chassis it sits on is inferior to the Alpha. Thoughts?
Absolutely the Handling Package is a must on the Mach 1 if you are going to do a direct comparison to a 1LE-equipped SS. Even if the overall performance is similar, the Camaro is still going to the the better value. I don't think anyone can argue that. Too many people see the Mach 1 as a GT350 replacement rather than a successor to the 2012-2013 Boss 302. Basically, an upgraded Mustang GT.
MBSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Agreed. the Mach 1 is a decent package - better than the Bullitt but nothing special. I think the Mach might be able to come close to matching the performance of the SS1LE, but I still expect the 1LE to come out on top. Also the SS1LE is a much much better value.

I agree with Blaq, it shouldn't have been another handling car. The mach 1 historically has never been that. They should have tried to get the power over 500 and made it a boulevard bruiser.

This ^ the Mach 1 w/ handling pack looks killler. Overprice though Even if it somehow tops the 1LE, the 1LE is such a better value
Back in the New Edge days the Mach 1 was basically just a Cobra with a solid axle and a functional Shaker hood. I probably would have preferred it over the Cobra because that hood was menacing. Now switching back to S550, I feel that at some point Ford should have made a Mustang that was basically a detuned GT500. Maybe something like a supercharged PP1 but choked down to like 630-670 HP with full options and coming in at $64K. But I also feel that it would have taken away from the GT500 since most people probably would have opted for that instead of the Shelby. Point tho is that Ford should have realized the futility of trying to beat the 6th Gen Camaro with the S550 on a track and switched gears.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Back in the New Edge days the Mach 1 was basically just a Cobra with a solid axle and a functional Shaker hood. I probably would have preferred it over the Cobra because that hood was menacing. Now switching back to S550, I feel that at some point Ford should have made a Mustang that was basically a detuned GT500. Maybe something like a supercharged PP1 but choked down to like 630-670 HP with full options and coming in at $64K. But I also feel that it would have taken away from the GT500 since most people probably would have opted for that instead of the Shelby. Point tho is that Ford should have realized the futility of trying to beat the 6th Gen Camaro with the S550 on a track and switched gears.
Agreed for the most part, chasing the SSLE is a bad strategy.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #12
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
It’s clear the Mach 1 doesn’t have to perform better than the 1LE because the Camaro’s better performance isn’t translating to sales.

It’s too bad GM doesn’t invest in the Camaro. Putting the LT2 in the Camaro would likely get a bump in sales. GM has no idea how to manage the Camaro brand.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Still a deal-breaker with the ridiculous Civic-sized fuel tank. No thanks...
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
STReddy1999

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post

The Mach 1 Premium has heated/ventilated RECARO seats and a heated steering wheel, at least it says so on Ford's configurator. The premium's standard seats are leather/cloth but they have available full leather RECARO seats for $1,595. I do agree that there was no reason for me to add PDR, and the price difference is even more embarrassing for Ford had I not added that to the SS.
2014 Camaro RS - Sold
STReddy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, comparison, mach 1, performance, price