Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #29
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I found a store that has the "old" PF64 oil filters. Mine is brand new, think I'm better getting it over the Wix in case there's every a warranty issue.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #30
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I found a store that has the "old" PF64 oil filters. Mine is brand new, think I'm better getting it over the Wix in case there's every a warranty issue.
If you are the least bit concerned about warranty, I would stick with the AC Delco PF64 filter...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:22 AM   #31
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Glad to help, fellas
Old 04-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #32
Redlinez
Shifts under load

I will. I can already hear them now blaming the Wix filter like they did my TS headers when I told them I could hear rear end noise on decel Went back to the same dealershiip and asked for a different tech/team and they replaced my rear diff at 45k miles. I've been a service advisor at new car dealers for 22 years. Too many "technicians" think like that.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #33
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Just scored 3 of the “old” PF64’s at a Walmart near me. Visually inspected them too. Headed to another one.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #34
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I'm using the new PF64 with no concerns. I also put in the m1 esp 0 W 40 oil Thanks for the write up op
Flowtie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #35
discgolf01

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible M6
Not to throw another variable into the equation, but I ordered a PF64 from Amazon last week and got this, a 3rd GM part number.... 12706595.

At first I thought this was a knockoff because of the look of the box but a brief Google search says this is AC Delco's new packaging design.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

discgolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #36
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Saw this, appears to address a gasket issue. I saw something (somewhere) regarding the gasket falling off and a slight leak.
https://gmserviceinsights.com/new-ac...ed-performance
Old 02-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #37
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
What GM won't tell you is the reason for the bypass valve. ALL GDI engines experience many times the abrasive particulate matter shed from intake valves and contaminating the engine oil. The filters may clog to the point of restricting oil flow and turned bearings are the result. And this is not just the GM GDI engines, it is ALL GDI engines as this is an inherent problem along with the fuel dilution issues.
I know this particular post is over a year old, but it needs to be rebutted. All oil filters I know of come with a bypass valve, not just those for DI engines. For example, the filters for LS engines (which are not direct-injected) have them. The difference for the LT1/4 engines is just that they stay closed until they reach a higher pressure of 22lbs, vs 12psi for the LS3 filter (again as just one example).

Also, while it's true that carbon buildup on intake valves is an issue with DI engines, I don't see how it could end up in the oil. The valves don't have exposure to the oil (hopefully!). Besides, the whole point of the problem is that the carbon never gets washed off the valves in a DI engine because there is no gasoline going past the valve to act as a constant solvent. The amount of carbon deposited on the valves is the same as non-DI engines, but less of it is shed from the valve, not more.

GM is clear on the reason for the change in bypass pressure: the tighter clearances in the newer engines requires a filter that is less easily bypassed so that the oil is better filtered. I don't see any mystery here.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:58 PM   #38
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I know this particular post is over a year old, but it needs to be rebutted. All oil filters I know of come with a bypass valve, not just those for DI engines. For example, the filters for LS engines (which are not direct-injected) have them. The difference for the LT1/4 engines is just that they stay closed until they reach a higher pressure of 22lbs, vs 12psi for the LS3 filter (again as just one example).

Also, while it's true that carbon buildup on intake valves is an issue with DI engines, I don't see how it could end up in the oil. The valves don't have exposure to the oil (hopefully!). Besides, the whole point of the problem is that the carbon never gets washed off the valves in a DI engine because there is no gasoline going past the valve to act as a constant solvent. The amount of carbon deposited on the valves is the same as non-DI engines, but less of it is shed from the valve, not more.

GM is clear on the reason for the change in bypass pressure: the tighter clearances in the newer engines requires a filter that is less easily bypassed so that the oil is better filtered. I don't see any mystery here.

If you know the history of the 'Elite Engineering' user, you'd automatically add him to your 'ban list'. He routinely trolls all auto enthusiast boards screaming about the horrors of the GDI platform and the only solution is his catch can.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #39
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
If you know the history of the 'Elite Engineering' user, you'd automatically add him to your 'ban list'. He routinely trolls all auto enthusiast boards screaming about the horrors of the GDI platform and the only solution is his catch can.
THIS!!!

His incessant trolling made me buy a Mishimoto Catch Can instead of his... Someone that has to push their product THAT hard raises a LOT of red flags for me...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #40
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolf01 View Post
Not to throw another variable into the equation, but I ordered a PF64 from Amazon last week and got this, a 3rd GM part number.... 12706595.
Had heard of the new packaging. But did not know of another new PN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Saw this, appears to address a gasket issue.
https://gmserviceinsights.com/new-ac...ed-performance
Thanks Geoff, will be keeping an eye out for the "latest and greatest"
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #41
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Oh, okay! Sorry to give the troll more air time, then. Thanks for filling me in.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #42
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolf01 View Post

At first I thought this was a knockoff because of the look of the box but a brief Google search says this is AC Delco's new packaging design.

Thoughts?
If you have time, could you post some close-up pics of the inside of the filter? I'm curious how it compares to the other two PF64 part #s.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote