Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-22-2022, 07:03 PM   #29
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
I may have just been coincidence, but I set my JMS to 15.7 volts and shortly there after, my low side pump took a powder??
It's possible the pump was already on the fritz and adding extra voltage to it didn't make it take very well to what life remained out of it.

The more we talk about it, the more it feels like the aux pump is just an inevitability.
ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #30
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
It's possible the pump was already on the fritz and adding extra voltage to it didn't make it take very well to what life remained out of it.

The more we talk about it, the more it feels like the aux pump is just an inevitability.
If you want to take full advantage of ethanol yes. I know your just looking to avoid knock, but think about it. Ethanol is so much cheaper then gas, you can make easy power on higher concentrations doing nothing But putting fuel in the tank.

If you can run e40-50 you can cut your gas bill in half and make 50-75rwhp more.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #31
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
You can add the jms booster or even the aux pump, but your high side is what will most likely limit your ethanol content at a certain point. The jms will get you to that point and high side will be maxed, that was my experience anyway.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:35 PM   #32
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
If you want to take full advantage of ethanol yes. I know your just looking to avoid knock, but think about it. Ethanol is so much cheaper then gas, you can make easy power on higher concentrations doing nothing But putting fuel in the tank.

If you can run e40-50 you can cut your gas bill in half and make 50-75rwhp more.
But that amount is off the table even with a booster due to the amount of boost I'm currently making you said right?

That's definitely what I want to do at this point is try to run e40-50.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:27 PM   #33
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
But that amount is off the table even with a booster due to the amount of boost I'm currently making you said right?

That's definitely what I want to do at this point is try to run e40-50.
Not sure if you're already aware of this kit from JRE. For a no-pulley and no additional pump solution that won't suffer from fuel starvation below 1/2 tank on circuits, this seems like the best E85 option. If I was ready to void my warranty I would go this route...

https://jannettyracing.com/products/...019-camaro-zl1
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #34
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
What about VP 100, does it contain MMTs? The manual states fuel containing such can damage emissions control systems and spark plugs.

I can get 5 gallon jugs of this stuff and there are some stations who have it but who knows how long that stuff sits in their tanks..
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #35
ZLRob

For the record, anyone who lives in the east bay, there is a Mobil station in Brentwood that sells Sunoco SS100 unleaded (equal to their 260GT) 100 octane race fuel out of their pump, but at $9.99 you better come loaded with money. Additionally, they sell the fuel by the tank as well if you don't want to buy any at the pump.

I just filled up on their stuff yesterday.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 06-27-2022, 06:23 AM   #36
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I have taken multiple datalogs of my car running 91 octane from multiple stations (the only one I have not tried yet is Shell), and on all reported log instances I have seen in some cases as much as 8- 9* of knock on my Z. It's not cool at all. The only thing that I find that helps it is adding in a can of Octanium by VP, or Boostane. Yes I have tried removing timing, static knock retard tables. It doesn't make a difference, as there is knock present even as low as cruising range, so it has been narrowed down to this junk California water gas.

With that being said, I'd really like to try and avoid having too dump in an octane booster every single time. California guys this post is for you (predominantly the Bay Area) where are you getting your fuel from? I can't seem to find 93 or 94 anywhere and I'd really like to try and get that stuff but it seems next to near impossible to find in my area. I'm really starting to wonder if having to tune for some ethanol is in my future.

Thanks in advance!

I recall a conversation I had with TED @ JRE... and his warning was similar to your experience in that these cars dont do well with 91 and will see a ton of KR. He suggests running no less than E30 blend, so like others have said if you were trying to stay stock, id add an octane booster to each tank... if you are open to mods, then id look at Ted's 125 flex fuel package, or at bare minimum... doing a flex fuel kit, CAI for a nice bump and a happier car.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:25 AM   #37
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Not sure if you're already aware of this kit from JRE. For a no-pulley and no additional pump solution that won't suffer from fuel starvation below 1/2 tank on circuits, this seems like the best E85 option. If I was ready to void my warranty I would go this route...

Thats basically what I have, and I can tell you there is not only a night and day difference when you run E50 for the first time... but damn, these cars should have at least come with the flex fuel parts installed... and feel so much stronger with another 100rwhp.

Should have come this way from the factory
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #38
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post

If I was ready to fail smog every time I would definitely go this route. Lol.

The problem is I absolutely refuse longtubes with an iron conviction. All they have ever done for me is cause problems on V8 Chevys due to where the plugs are located in respect to the exhaust ports and from what I can see nothing has changed from my time dealing with them to now.

That price tag is way overpriced for what it is anyways.

I may wind up just doing a flex fuel sensor and a JMS, or an aux fuel pump.

These cars definitely should have came with flex fuel from the factory, considering GM has been capable of flex fuel on various other models for years and years now.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 06-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #39
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
So the OP is saying he can’t find 93 octane
In Kalifornia?
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #40
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnick View Post
So the OP is saying he can’t find 93 octane
In Kalifornia?
What makes you think that?
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:19 PM   #41
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
If I was ready to fail smog every time I would definitely go this route. Lol.

The problem is I absolutely refuse longtubes with an iron conviction. All they have ever done for me is cause problems on V8 Chevys due to where the plugs are located in respect to the exhaust ports and from what I can see nothing has changed from my time dealing with them to now.

That price tag is way overpriced for what it is anyways.

I may wind up just doing a flex fuel sensor and a JMS, or an aux fuel pump.

These cars definitely should have came with flex fuel from the factory, considering GM has been capable of flex fuel on various other models for years and years now.
Now their even checking for tunes.....
Old 06-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #42
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
What makes you think that?
Do you know of a place that sells 93, their few and far between in my neck of the woods, and i'm not too far from LA.