Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 10-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #141
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
Glad your learning and experimenting with calibrations. Personally, I don't want the DSC V4 controller to keep the car flatter, if I did, it's easily changed. OEM unit is not active like DSC V4, its reactive. When I autocross, I'm intentionally putting some roll in the car... more weight on my outer tires plants them, and helps rotate the car quickly.
I think you have to be a little careful about the part in bold. What you can see from the outside isn't the whole story.

During transients you'll have damper forces (as a function of velocity) added to the position-based forces from the springs and sta-bars. Obviously, damper velocities are going to peak before spring and bar positions do (that being the point where damper velocities have dropped to zero).

It's at least part of the thinking behind why some autocrossers have crutched too-soft springs (in the Street Category) with heavy damping.

Norm
Old 10-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #142
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I'm still having issues with mine, I go back and forth with the stock computer. I had thought that the newest base calibration was decent until I drove to the hotel after a test and tune. The freeway transition ramp has bums in it and even in track mode on the DSC the rear bottomed out on every bump. It basically acted like there was no damping there at all. The stock computer in tour mode didn't do that. My biggest complaint with the current base cal on the autocross course is the lazy transitions in slaloms. I know, I need to send more data logs in. But I did find a local engineer who said they would do what they could to help. It'll take a bit since they aren't used to the system/software.

I just wish I had access to data acquisition equipment like I used to. The 40hz the PDR records at is useless. I need at least 200hz to get a decent resolution.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #143
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Bringing this back. Any updates from the users? I'm looking to buy
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #144
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
better hurry up and buy i heard strano say there was a price increase happening this week!
Old 08-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #145
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
DSC Sport V4 Suspension Controller

If anyone needs help with calibrations or needs technical support, you can contact me (Robert Weathers) by email hotrod@gvtc.com or by messenger on Facebook. Can’t miss me on FB, look for orange and white ZL1 1LE. DSC Sport now offers a retrofit that adds back wire harness that GM deleted for mechanical DSSV shocks. It was a painstaking process, but after a week on the shock dyno, and extensive testing, the damping profile was not only duplicated, but extended, with the added feature of ACTIVE performance, in the RT coilover shock. Another feature V4 feature is LNC (launch control) which provides a drag race feature that temporarily changes the calibration by a short, set amount of time, to rip those 60’ times, or get an improved start on any timed event, where a hard launch will shave those valuable tenths and hundredths. Working with the owner and lead engineer at DSC Sport, Michael Levitas, we’ve created calibrations that have won many local, and regional autocross events, and the 2019 CAM C Nationals title. Recently, multiple NASA track records have been set. Buy from Sam Strano!
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #146
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
This explains alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
With the stock controller the car behaves well with bumps/waves in all three modes. Actually there is really very little difference in feel between the three modes using the stock controller
I just like how the stock controller deals with that better, stays flatter and feels sportier. I would live to figure out how to allow the DSC controller do the same thing
Your post explains why you are not the optimal person to report on the DSC controller. You stated above: " Actually there is really very little difference in feel between the three modes using the stock controller"

Everyone who has the MRC on any Chev product will disagree with your statement. Including the drivers from Car and Driver and Motor Trend.

There are only 2 options here: 1. Your controller is broken, so when you change from Tour to Sport there is actually no change in the suspension settings and therefore you don't feel a difference. 2. You have no feel for driving dynamics. This is not a criticism. It is strongly supported by your statement.

If the answer is 2 then please stop bothering Robert from MadMotorMagazine. He has been gracious and patient with you.

Last edited by Inthepasture; 08-21-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:52 AM   #147
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
If anyone needs help with calibrations or needs technical support, you can contact me (Robert Weathers) by email hotrod@gvtc.com or by messenger on Facebook. Can’t miss me on FB, look for orange and white ZL1 1LE. DSC Sport now offers a retrofit that adds back wire harness that GM deleted for mechanical DSSV shocks. It was a painstaking process, but after a week on the shock dyno, and extensive testing, the damping profile was not only duplicated, but extended, with the added feature of ACTIVE performance, in the RT coilover shock. Another feature V4 feature is LNC (launch control) which provides a drag race feature that temporarily changes the calibration by a short, set amount of time, to rip those 60’ times, or get an improved start on any timed event, where a hard launch will shave those valuable tenths and hundredths. Working with the owner and lead engineer at DSC Sport, Michael Levitas, we’ve created calibrations that have won many local, and regional autocross events, and the 2019 CAM C Nationals title. Recently, multiple NASA track records have been set. Buy from Sam Strano!

Have you had any experience with there DSC Sport RT DDA Coilover Kit? I'm looking to change my suspension in the future and they are an option.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:18 PM   #148
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
Why did this thread just die off? Anyone come up with some real track numbers using this product vs. stock? If so, anyone have the settings to use for a ZL1?
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:01 AM   #149
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
DSC Feedback

It is a complex product and has gone through multiple base tune revisions. I don't have lap to lap comparisons, but from a driver feedback perspective:

1. More stable under heavy braking conditions and less nose dive.
2. Improved weight transfer on corner exit.
3. Ability to tweak the front/rear dampening to fine tune understeer.
4. There is a launch control feature that temporarily puts the shocks into drag mode with a throttle blip.
5. You can zero the mag ride shock ride height in the software.
6. On the street, the ride is more comfortable and has better handling. It adjusts to different driving conditions.

Cons:
1. I'm a mechanical engineer that had a vehicle dynamics class in college. The software is difficult to navigate for me.
2. Minor changes require you to update entire tables.
3. Tracks that have elevation changes can create a "floaty" feeling.
4. The last 6th Gen Camaro tune was updated in Feb of 2020 and is common across the SS and ZL1.

For tuning on my ZL1 with 1LE aero and 1LE sized Goodyear 3R's, I've reduced the base tune front shock stiffness by 25-50 mA to tame understeer. It is a relatively minor change. <Edit> The file name below says reduced OVERSTEER, because I went down to 1700 mA and then back up to 1725 mA. The base tune is 1750 mA. The rear shocks are unchanged from 1400 mA.
Attached Images

Last edited by Badmojo; 01-12-2022 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added clarification on tuning
Badmojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:15 AM   #150
birdmanf16

Thanks Mojo....so bottom line, is it worth the effort for a serious track day guy like me? Is it an advantage on the track? Also, are there good track "tunes" out there I can just copy and paste? I don't want to mess around with this....just have it work on day one!
Old 01-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #151
birdmanf16

I am running square 305 SC 3R's....is that what you are on by chance?
Old 01-12-2022, 11:15 AM   #152
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I've run both 305-30-19 square 3R's, 305/325-30-19 3R's, and 305-30-19 square RE71R's. I used slightly different shock settings on each. The car had more understeer with the 325's in the rear and I was able to tweak it out with softer front dampening and more negative camber.

The DSC controller is not an ideal plug-in-play product. The whole point is that it opens up shock tuning for the driver preference/track. There aren't track tunes available and my experience asking DSC for support has been unhelpful. Their customer support for the hardware is good, but they don't give you tuning advice.

My feedback is the car is more stable in heavy braking zones 120 mph to 45 mph going into a hard left hand turn. Comparing different cars on different days (big disclaimer), I feel like the ZL1 with the DSC puts corner exit power down better than a stock ZL1 1LE both on 3R's. The ZL1 1LE was more predictable at the limit and you could rotate the car more easily. My car has more grip, but it is less predictable. It comes down to how consistently the driver can maintain the limit.

The dampening is only one component of the entire suspension setup, so it isn't magic. It does allow manipulating the shock tuning and tweaking behaviors to the driver's preference, which in theory will improve lap times and consistency.

I think there are too many variables to say it will absolutely produce better lap times. My lap times at Carolina Motorsports Park are equivalent to ZL1 1LE's. I don't have a baseline with and without the DSC to compare.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #153
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Hi everybody
Sorry I have been away for a while. I sold My ZL1 a while ago and am now enjoying my 991.2 GTS 911..
Both cars are epic but I'm gonna expand on the 911 for a while and see where it goes. Planning on running DSG on this car too, after I get my tire, wheel, alignment situated ...

Anyway, my ZL1 DSC V4 Controller is for sale!
$970 shipped
PM me if interested
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:56 PM   #154
possibly_burrito

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
Hi everybody
Sorry I have been away for a while. I sold My ZL1 a while ago and am now enjoying my 991.2 GTS 911..
Both cars are epic but I'm gonna expand on the 911 for a while and see where it goes. Planning on running DSG on this car too, after I get my tire, wheel, alignment situated ...

Anyway, my ZL1 DSC V4 Controller is for sale!
$970 shipped
PM me if interested
I'm running a DSC V4 on my 991.2 GTS, along with GT3 front control arms, and proper alignment. It was very much worth it!
possibly_burrito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1