Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-27-2023, 09:11 AM   #15
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
The filter is a spin-on. Sometimes they're tight when they leave the factory, first oil change can be a bear to get the first filter off, which is why others are recommending a filter wrench (strap or cap).

Just remember to lube the seal on the new filter with some fresh oil, and once it stops spinning as you're tightening it, give it like 3/4 turn (there's usually even a pic on the Delco filters) to snug it up -- that's all it needs. Next time you change the oil, you should be able to unseat it by hand.

Look up the torque spec for the oil pan drain bolt. People like to reef on those things and they just don't need to be that tight. The torque spec is plenty.

$300 is steep for an oil change, but they're not taking advantage of "just you". That's their premium they're charging for the convenience of someone else working on your car. I agree it's ridiculous and the cost savings of doing it yourself is absolutely worth it, if you have the knowledge and tools to do it.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:05 PM   #16
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
The filter is a spin-on. Sometimes they're tight when they leave the factory, first oil change can be a bear to get the first filter off, which is why others are recommending a filter wrench (strap or cap).

Just remember to lube the seal on the new filter with some fresh oil, and once it stops spinning as you're tightening it, give it like 3/4 turn (there's usually even a pic on the Delco filters) to snug it up -- that's all it needs. Next time you change the oil, you should be able to unseat it by hand.

Look up the torque spec for the oil pan drain bolt. People like to reef on those things and they just don't need to be that tight. The torque spec is plenty.

$300 is steep for an oil change, but they're not taking advantage of "just you". That's their premium they're charging for the convenience of someone else working on your car. I agree it's ridiculous and the cost savings of doing it yourself is absolutely worth it, if you have the knowledge and tools to do it.
THIS!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #17
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiocampos View Post
I thought it was going to be $150, which I was fine with, but then I get there and they tell me $300 because the car takes 10 quarts and they charge $22 a quart. I almost left it too, since this is my first V8 car, and I knew these things are pay to play, but then I got the sense to look around a bit more to find a cheaper place. I think I'm going to take it somewhere cheaper for this first time and then do it myself.
Ask your dealer how much they would charge if you supply your own filter and oil. I typically perform my own oil change service, but I did get the first one free from GM. My chevy dealer said they charge $30 plus small oil disposal fee if I supply oil and filter. I thought that may be worth it since they let me watch the whole process and did a professional job for the free one.
Old 12-16-2023, 08:53 AM   #18
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
If you end up changing it yourself,
be sure to raise the vehicle from the proper lift points
unless you are using ramps, then it don't matter.

That Miami markup is a bit excessive...
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:51 PM   #19
sergiocampos

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
If you end up changing it yourself,
be sure to raise the vehicle from the proper lift points
unless you are using ramps, then it don't matter.

That Miami markup is a bit excessive...
Thanks for the tip man. Also, I ended up taking my car to a different dealer with a much better reputation (Bomnin Chevrolet Dadeland, for anyone interested in Miami), and they did my oil change for $168, which included parts,labor,fees, and taxes. At that price I would have saved about $30-40 max if I did it myself. I will probably be sticking to this dealer from now on, but again I’d like to thank everyone for their tips and opinions.

The dealer that was trying to rip me off is AutoNation Chevrolet Doral, again for anyone in Miami.
sergiocampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:58 PM   #20
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiocampos View Post
Thanks for the tip man. Also, I ended up taking my car to a different dealer with a much better reputation (Bomnin Chevrolet Dadeland, for anyone interested in Miami), and they did my oil change for $168, which included parts,labor,fees, and taxes. At that price I would have saved about $30-40 max if I did it myself. I will probably be sticking to this dealer from now on, but again I’d like to thank everyone for their tips and opinions.

The dealer that was trying to rip me off is AutoNation Chevrolet Doral, again for anyone in Miami.
Make sure they put 10 qts in, definitely check your oil level...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #21
sergiocampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
They charged me for 10, but I’ll check. Thank you man.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:31 PM   #22
sergiocampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
It's raining right now, so I'll check in a bit, but I checked the receipt and they definitely charged me for 10 quarts at $10.61 a quart. Also, they used Mobil 1 0W40 supercar.