Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #85
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Not only is the bowtie in such a bad place, but they made it a "flow tie" which goes right through the center of the bumper. Who in their right mind would create and design a hole in the middle of the bumper the shape of a bowtie emblem?

The GM suit who approved that front end design should be sent a one way plane ticket to North Korea.

There's no way you're going to be able to swap that out or easily change it. For those who say they would just swap bumpers, that seems highly unlikely. Who buys a brand new $40k+ SS and automatically swaps the front end on it? I certainly would not want to do that on a brand new car.

Last edited by gringo; 07-20-2018 at 09:47 PM.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #86
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
Wayyy too close to a Dodge for me.

Must be the four doors on the Camaro that have him upset...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #87
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
The Front isnt sooo bad but the rear tail lights are atrocious

So where did you get to see the rears or is this just a photo?
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #88
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
i can’t
understand why this abortion is being compared
to
a
charger. the charger looks way better and has no resemblance at all.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #89
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
And I would disagree. My opinion of the two, if they must be compared:

The charger shown above looks bloated to me. The upper grille is too large, bowed outward and makes the front look top heavy. The black bar across the middle is round and bulbous. The 'cheeks' are blank and empty looking, with foglights stuck in like an after thought. The headlights are comically large and wrap way too far around the front. Even the front lip has a weird rounded look to it. Honestly, I could see this bumper on a crossover or minivan.

Compare with the Camaro, which has a nicely proportioned upper to lower grille size, the 'cheeks' provide nice line breaks and keeps the angular look from the rest of the vehicle, lower lights that flow with the design, sleek properly sized headlights large enough to house exactly what is needed, the front nose and lip retain an aggressive pointed sharp look. All while adding aero improvements (albeit small) with the flowtie and air pockets.

An incredibly easy choice for me and my opinion - You would see me no where near that Charger.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 AM   #90
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
And I would disagree. My opinion of the two, if they must be compared:

The charger shown above looks bloated to me. The upper grille is too large, bowed outward and makes the front look top heavy. The black bar across the middle is round and bulbous. The 'cheeks' are blank and empty looking, with foglights stuck in like an after thought. The headlights are comically large and wrap way too far around the front. Even the front lip has a weird rounded look to it. Honestly, I could see this bumper on a crossover or minivan.

Compare with the Camaro, which has a nicely proportioned upper to lower grille size, the 'cheeks' provide nice line breaks and keeps the angular look from the rest of the vehicle, lower lights that flow with the design, sleek properly sized headlights large enough to house exactly what is needed, the front nose and lip retain an aggressive pointed sharp look. All while adding aero improvements (albeit small) with the flowtie and air pockets.

An incredibly easy choice for me and my opinion - You would see me no where near that Charger.
Nicely proportioned? What universe are you living in. The universe where all Camaros have fullsized truck front ends tacked on to them?

Even the new Blazer has a much better proportioned front bumper/grill on it and that's primarily due to having the bowtie emblem located closer to the front upper grill, not tacked on to the middle of the bumper mid way down.

This is an ugly refresh no matter how you look at it.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:52 AM   #91
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
In the context given, comparing the upper grille to lower grille size, yes, I think the refresh Camaro is nicely proportioned, with a smaller upper grille and larger lower grille. This gives it a sleeker look that still fits with the lines of the car, as compared to the Charger shown, which looks chunkier and top heavy. Your fullsized truck frontend quip is funny, but obviously hyperbole.

The new blazer is pretty nice, especially the interior, but using the above example I think it went too extreme - the upper grille is too small/thin, and the lower grille is too large, much like a Lexus. Still has nice lines overall though. Too bad the headlights and DRLs are swapped, IMO.

Simple design premises, but as we can all tell, still comes down to personal preference. I love my '17, but I am also really liking the '19, and looking forward to upgrading.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #92
motorhead

What cracks me up is people comparing the Charger are comparing the lower model to the upper model Camaro. Compare this one to the 2019. It looks why better than the 2019 SS in my opinion and they look nothing alike. What I see funny is that the lower model Camaro is better looking than the upper model for 2019. That should never be the case. Take the Charger for example, since people want to compare it, they get better looking from lower to upper. Im just glad they didnt screw up the ZL1.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #93
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
What cracks me up is people comparing the Charger are comparing the lower model to the upper model Camaro. Compare this one to the 2019. It looks why better than the 2019 SS in my opinion and they look nothing alike. What I see funny is that the lower model Camaro is better looking than the upper model for 2019. That should never be the case. Take the Charger for example, since people want to compare it, they get better looking from lower to upper. Im just glad they didnt screw up the ZL1.
What cracks me up is how people want to compare the looks of a Camaro to a full size pick up truck or worse yet a Dodge Charger , which looks as aggressive as a Kia Rio in my eyes .To me it explains a lot about the people who don't like the new design Camaro .No one has to like it, but people will and it will sell and maybe some of those Charger fans will want to step up to a true world class sports car .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #94
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
What cracks me up is how people want to compare the looks of a Camaro to a full size pick up truck or worse yet a Dodge Charger , which looks as aggressive as a Kia Rio in my eyes .To me it explains a lot about the people who don't like the new design Camaro .No one has to like it, but people will and it will sell and maybe some of those Charger fans will want to step up to a true world class sports car .
The Charger isnt supposed to be a world class sports car. Its a family car that can be bought with high performance goodies. It really has no competitor in its class. If you want world class you need step up to ZL1 anyhow. I couldnt drive the 19SS no matter how well it performed. I dont want a car that I have to sneak up on to get in. Im glad there are people that do like it though. I dont want GM's mistake be the end of this car.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #95
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The Charger isnt supposed to be a world class sports car. Its a family car that can be bought with high performance goodies. It really has no competitor in its class. If you want world class you need step up to ZL1 anyhow. I couldnt drive the 19SS no matter how well it performed. I dont want a car that I have to sneak up on to get in. Im glad there are people that do like it though. I dont want GM's mistake be the end of this car.
The world class Camaro starts with the Alpha platform not the ZL1 . No one should ever buy a car they don't like , i never have or will as most people . We are years away from knowing if the 2019 update was a mistake or not . I am one who feels it will do really well , especially with the addition of the A10 ,this is the era of the automatic transmission and it is a selling point . As far as the internet Camaro fans who don't like the new update may be the best sign of how well it will do .
Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #96
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
The new Blazer has a better looking front end. Of course, GM didn't want to screw that one up (too much) because it's a CUV with a better profit potential in the current hot selling cross-over market. So, the bowtie on that model is closer to the upper grill which looks asthetically better.

The Camaro is already dead due to much lower sales of the Alpha based 6th gen compared to the Mustang and 10 year old Challenger. So, they took a huge gamble by letting the head designer go hog wild with an extremely questionable design choice on the predator-like front grill/bumper treatment.

The lower end LTG and LGX models could not afford such a risky design choice due to higher overall sales on those cars compared to the SS. So, they designed the front end on those models a little more conservatively which ultimately makes them look a lot better.

Similarly, the front end on the ZL1 was left completely alone because it's already optimized. However, any risky design choices done to that model for a mid cycle update could adversely affect sales and the halo effect that it offers for Chevrolet.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #97
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
The new Blazer has a better looking front end. Of course, GM didn't want to screw that one up (too much) because it's a CUV with a better profit potential in the current hot selling cross-over market. So, the bowtie on that model is closer to the upper grill which looks asthetically better.

The Camaro is already dead due to much lower sales of the Alpha based 6th gen compared to the Mustang and 10 year old Challenger. So, they took a huge gamble by letting the head designer go hog wild with an extremely questionable design choice on the predator-like front grill/bumper treatment.

The lower end LTG and LGX models could not afford such a risky design choice due to higher overall sales on those cars compared to the SS. So, they designed the front end on those models a little more conservatively which ultimately makes them look a lot better.

Similarly, the front end on the ZL1 was left completely alone because it's already optimized. However, any risky design choices done to that model for a mid cycle update could adversely affect sales and the halo effect that it offers for Chevrolet.
What are the sales like with the new 2019 update Camaro ?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #98
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I like the grey 19 SS in the first pic the best. I like the sculpted curve of the 19 front end; it doesn't have that beak look, but I don't like the flow tie stuck on the front bumper. Looks like an after thought.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote