Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Track Night in America

Looks like we have one on the other coast coming up in a few weeks and I am very curious to try it out. I've never been to the track other than the local auto-cross events.
I'm really asking what to expect out of a total novice hitting the track with a pretty powerful car and not having an in car instructor to really get you moving along safely. I'm not sure how in depth the novice meeting is prior to putting on the helmet and trying to stay safe from a track of folks.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I did TNIA this year for the first time and the novice group is pretty easy to do. After the drivers meeting to explain the rules for passing etc, the first novice session is done under paced laps. There is a driver coach(s) onsite to give advice and answer questions. These events are not a race so everyone is driving at their own speed no matter what car they're in. Make sure you read all the info on the TNIA website under the need to know section and watch the videos. You'll need a SA2105 helmet and want to get track insurance and can get these at a discount using the links on the website. I also printed out info they have on the drivers meeting, flag info and the tech sheet etc. You can do the tech inspection before the event yourself. I also watched youtube videos of driving the track the event was held at so I could see what it was like. I started out using Track settings, steering in tour and with PTM Sport 1, but you may want to using PTM Dry first. Don't forget to do all the track prep per the CAMARO TRACK PREPARATION guide and most of all have fun.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
slvrsrpnt

Ty CarGuy. I've gotten the oil changed twice so far as well as once on the rear differential. Going to get the break fluid done as soon as the order from Amazon shows up.

I saw a $25 discount code last night....can't find it today though...some more internet digging/surfing!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
carguy55

I recommend the track alignment also, it makes a huge difference not only in handling but in tire wear.
Get there early so you have time to check everything out, ask questions, sign the release(s) and get the best parking spot. You'll have to empty out your car including floor mats so make sure you have a box or something to hold everything. I even took off the drivers side knee pad thing because I've had mine pop off while on track.
Make sure you have the front tow hook and get it installed ahead off time. You'll want to see video of the event so if you have the PDR get it ready to go.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
Looks like we have one on the other coast coming up in a few weeks and I am very curious to try it out. I've never been to the track other than the local auto-cross events.
I'm really asking what to expect out of a total novice hitting the track with a pretty powerful car and not having an in car instructor to really get you moving along safely. I'm not sure how in depth the novice meeting is prior to putting on the helmet and trying to stay safe from a track of folks.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I see you are in Cape Coral, so I am making the assumption you are headed to PBIR for the TNIA there.

Congrats! You will have a blast. The car is amazing and will inspire confidence.

PBIR is a good track to get your initial track experience. It's fun, flat, the surface is in great shape and not terribly challenging.

Do your fluids (Brake, oil, diff). Recommend a high-temp fluid (RBF600 or SRF)

As for Novice with no instructor. It's a concern and you are right to think about it.

Two primary issues I would consider:

Others out there with you in Novice do not have instructors (and it may be their 1st time).

If you are a true Novice, an Instructor will help you not develop habits that may be detrimental in the future.

I like the TNIA program, but I DO NOT like the way they handle the Novice groups.

Keep your head on a swivel (check your mirrors!) and have fun!

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
slvrsrpnt

Thank you for the information CarGuy and Matthew. Yes, PBIR. I just finished the registration - found the coupon code "whatsstoppingyou" for $25 off. Takes care of my gas for the day

Ordering some break fluid now, but not sure I can get my alignment done before then. Life is just a little crazy these days!

I'll get some PDR footage.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
- found the coupon code "whatsstoppingyou" for $25 off. Takes care of my gas for the day
Maybe most of it, anyway. Depending on how hard you drive (and what gears you're using) you can burn a truly surprising amount of fuel inside of 20 minutes, like at least 3 gallons. Gas at the track is likely to be a good bit more expensive than off-site, but if you need to refuel you'll need the convenience assuming that there is any sort of novice debriefing between sessions (I know there is at NJMP's TNiA events).

For your very first track event I'm going to suggest you plan on doing as little shifting as possible. Put it in whatever gear will accommodate your highest speed and leave it there except for any truly slow corners.

Remember, it's not a race. More like a fast drive in the country with a few like-minded friends . . . without most of the usual street driving hazards and risks to one's driver's license. Treat it like that and you will enjoy it.

Have fun.

Norm
Old 07-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #8
Aperretta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Just had my first event and it was TNIA. I have so much good stuff to say about it. I was novice, and no, you don’t get an instructor, but you’re only paying 125 bucks. You get some good basic track etiquette and rules briefing. Also, between sessions, you can ask questions.

First, you go on 20 min of paced laps for novice group. Very helpful. I actually thought the paced laps were fast, because I had no reference point. It was very good for getting a feel for the course and car. Next, you do 3 hot sessions, which make you realize the paced laps were nice but not even close to fast. It’s basically three 20 minute sessions for you to have fun and learn how to push your car to its limits. For me, I chose to keep PTM and TCS on the whole time and figure out how to push my limits in the most conservative settings. I learned so much from these sessions. I had no instructor, but it was fine. Next time, I’m going to practice with TCS off, or in one of the settings that barely uses it.

For 125 bucks, you can’t go wrong!
Aperretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #9
slvrsrpnt

https://youtu.be/GI94hTnF-DI

"Remember, it's not a race. More like a fast drive in the country with a few like-minded friends" Norm pretty much nailed it.

It was a fun day. I drove rather cautiously and let just about everyone go around after I got done being a poke in the turns. It started raining during our last track session and I got off the track my first opportunity. I trust myself out there with a dry track and a bunch of drivers, not so much on a wet one.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
carguy55

Quote:

"Remember, it's not a race. More like a fast drive in the country with a few like-minded friends" Norm pretty much nailed it.

It was a fun day. I drove rather cautiously and let just about everyone go around after I got done being a poke in the turns. It started raining during our last track session and I got off the track my first opportunity. I trust myself out there with a dry track and a bunch of drivers, not so much on a wet one.
Glad to hear you had fun. Next you should try an HPDE event with an instructor to help you improve. Here's one website that you can use to learn more and find events near you

https://hpdejunkie.com/
Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Glad you had fun. Did the track day hook get set?

For many people there is a bit of re-learning involved with respect to using all of the available pavement (or only all of their lane on the street), and becoming fully comfortable with lateral g's out toward 1.0 probably doesn't happen overnight for most people. Good call on bailing early for a situation you weren't really ready for.

Norm
Old 08-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
slvrsrpnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Glad you had fun. Did the track day hook get set?

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Next you should try an HPDE event with an instructor to help you improve.
https://hpdejunkie.com/
Would love to attend one with an instructor. Doing the wrong thing over and over is no way to improve.
Have to see what time off, finances and free time look like toward the end of the year.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
Aperretta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Would love to attend one with an instructor. Doing the wrong thing over and over is no way to improve.
Have to see what time off, finances and free time look like toward the end of the year.
No instructor for me, and I was considerably faster and more comfortable by the end of the day. The biggest hurdle was learning the track, and then I could experiment. I’m not even sure if an instructor would be much help on my next event at the same track.

I work with a guy who used to be an instructor at these kinds of events but has gotten out of the sport, now that he’s older. He suggested watching videos of each track on YouTube or finding them on a game. His advice seemed to coincide with my experience, being that it’s all about memorizing the track and then learning your vehicles limits.

Last edited by Aperretta; 08-12-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Aperretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:

Nicely done.

The 'trick' is to drive inside your limits. Use experience and an instructor to push those limits...not the car in your mirrors.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote