Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-05-2023, 10:56 AM   #15
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
All great info in here guys I appreciate it. Sorry it took long for me respond as I've been on work travel all weekend. As Radz has eluded too I'm trying to "fly under the radar" so to speak here in Cali. With that being said, some of the research I've done here and elsewhere has given me the impression that running it occasionally shouldn't be an issue, which is what I do. Along the lines of "octane", IF say I were to move to a place with 93 premium as opposed to 91, would that require an updated tune?
Old 06-05-2023, 11:26 AM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It depends on how much timing you're tune has. If you're tuned to run on the booster (which I think I remember you were), then your timing is probably higher, to take advantage of the booster, than 91 would allow.

I would ask your tuner what he says. I imagine, if he's got you into the upper teens, you MIGHT be able to run on 93 without any tune changes. If he's got you 2-3-degrees more - you MIGHT be stuck running at least a little booster. The best place to establish this is with what he says. There are additional tables that have influence over SPARK, too, so if those are still in-play/enabled, that can change the ultimate timing under certain conditions, too.

Running about 5* of cam retard at WOT, on a target blend of 93-94 octane (that would either be blending a whole can of orange RaceGas, or abou .17oz/gallon of Professional Boostane), I could see up to almost 22* of SPARK from around 5800-6800 (boost was between 15-16psi). He was happier around 21*, with almost zero KNOCK, but temperature-dependent - I couldn't see more than about 22 (I wouldn't recommend running that much all the time - just saying that was about max). FWIW - I have some SPARK modifiers turned off (e.g. HUMMIDITY/VCT), since they only add timing, and or my VVT is also altered.

Actually - I'd also ask about KNOCK SENSOR detuning, if any, too. Mine were slightly detuned by someone who helped me a few years ago, but it seems that's a pretty popular thing to do by some, from what I've read. If they're detuned, I'd take that into account, too.

It's just best to start with asking him. Or - if you have a copy of the tune, if you share it, it can be looked at, too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:30 AM   #17
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
At the risk of seeming redundant, higher octane is worthless unless you tune the ECM for it, e.g., add spark timing advance. The difference between 91 and 93 is negligible and does not justify a tune IMO
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:37 AM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
At the risk of seeming redundant, higher octane is worthless unless you tune the ECM for it, e.g., add spark timing advance. The difference between 91 and 93 is negligible and does not justify a tune IMO
If I recall - after the 2650, his car was dyno'd with the Maggie tune, then a custom tune, and then an octane booster tune, which was like 30-40-more HP.

Or - that was someone else... My point is - I believe his car WAS tuned for booster, or at least higher than 91

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:40 AM   #19
ShockingZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1
The only ill effects are the orange color it changes your plugs and o2 sensors to. And sometimes the exhaust tips. Aside from that, there are no issues mechanically with running it full time. Many do, and I have never in a decade seen a post or heard from anyone of octane booster being the cause of a failure. The orange plugs scare people, but they are totally fine. And honestly plugs are cheap and easy to swap, so if it bothers you then just change them once a year. I ran octanium in my 21 Zl1 and it was awesome for keeping the knock away from 93. I ran a full bottle per full tank of 93. I would get down to zero on the gas gauge, then go to the station. Dump in the whole bottle first, then top off with 93. That gets it mixed up nice and within a few minutes it was good to go.
ShockingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:43 AM   #20
ShockingZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
This is dopey talk here folks. It has merit if you are tuned and never see any knock. But in the real world where DA and climate changes and cars that might not see knock on the dyno, might see it on the street from time to time, the octane booster will help you keep the timing you have and make the car run more consistent. So if on the street you are pulling a few degrees from whatever scenario, then yes you will be much better off with the octane booster and making more power than you would if the car was pulling a bunch of timing.

Octane booster should never be used to make more power, just to keep the power you have.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:32 PM   #21
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
If I recall - after the 2650, his car was dyno'd with the Maggie tune, then a custom tune, and then an octane booster tune, which was like 30-40-more HP.

Or - that was someone else... My point is - I believe his car WAS tuned for booster, or at least higher than 91
Correct. I have a tune for regular crap 91 and also for the octane booster.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:55 PM   #22
18.2SS.1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I've been mixing 4 oz of Boostane Professional per fill up for over a year now with no issues. How much more timing is in your tune for octane booster than the 91 tune?
Old 06-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #23
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18.2SS.1LE View Post
I've been mixing 4 oz of Boostane Professional per fill up for over a year now with no issues. How much more timing is in your tune for octane booster than the 91 tune?
No idea, lol, although I should.....
Old 06-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #24
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockingZ View Post

Octane booster should never be used to make more power, just to keep the power you have.
My post is about gasoline only not octane booster
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:30 PM   #25
ShockingZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
My post is about gasoline only not octane booster
Still if you add some 100 or better to a 93 tank and you are tuned on 93, you are going to get some level of knock protection over just your standard 93. And you would keep the timing you have rather than losing it from a bit of knock. If I were 93 tuned and heading to the track, I'd always want a splash of 100+ or octane booster to help keep the car consistent.