#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #43
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I had 60 front and carbotech XP12 rear. Now it's 60's all around.
Go it...I might try the XR2s at some point up front.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:15 PM   #44
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I had 60 front and carbotech XP12 rear. Now it's 60's all around.
I went to 60s all around and will use them next after my 70s are done, hopefully that will help a bit when it comes to ice mode
Old 06-20-2023, 01:06 PM   #45
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I have experienced ice mode both part way through braking zone, see first video the car starts slowing down quickly then decides not too as soon as I start my turn in, like you said happened the only time with your slicks

And I have experienced it right away immediately upon hitting the brakes like in this video where it only decided to slow down right at the very end right before hitting the dirt bank

[url]https://www.youtube.co
both those videos almost make me think no ice mode but other car issues where the YAW sensor is kicking in and screwing with ABS. both times you hit the brakes you also started a very hard steering input. this was an issue again on other cars and the owners would wire in kill switch to the YAW sensor since we couldnt kill it 100% with traction control off. i know on my 1LE you do have the option to kill more than just TC. did you kill both in these videos? i dont think you did because i saw the TC light flashing on vid 1.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:00 PM   #46
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I know there's a fair amount of people here who will just be appalled with my question here, but I'm going to ask anyway.

With regards to ice mode, I'm wondering if anyone has tried just pulling the ABS fuses? Disable the whole system and just manage your brakes like the old days.

I may give this a try at my next track day, challenge myself with threshold braking. I already run with everything else off.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #47
Krispy

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Suspect that wouldn't work as expected. In my C5Z when I had an ABS computer failure the system defaulted to dramatically increasing the rear bias, obviously it made the car very unstable and brake zones lengthened as a result.
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:11 PM   #48
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
both those videos almost make me think no ice mode but other car issues where the YAW sensor is kicking in and screwing with ABS. both times you hit the brakes you also started a very hard steering input. this was an issue again on other cars and the owners would wire in kill switch to the YAW sensor since we couldnt kill it 100% with traction control off. i know on my 1LE you do have the option to kill more than just TC. did you kill both in these videos? i dont think you did because i saw the TC light flashing on vid 1.
Disabling the yaw sensor is an interesting idea but would also disable PTM modes, if you want to run all nannies off it might work...

From experience, turning all nannies off won't affect hard pedal/ice mode due to yaw.

@Baddawg53, I'd guess disabling ABS entirely isn't possible without causing other issues, not sure I've heard of anyone trying it though.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:34 PM   #49
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
With regards to ice mode, I'm wondering if anyone has tried just pulling the ABS fuses? Disable the whole system and just manage your brakes like the old days.

I may give this a try at my next track day, challenge myself with threshold braking. I already run with everything else off.
I suspect it would be easy to lock an inside front tire while trail braking with no ABS but I haven't tried it myself. Tires are too expensive for me to consider trying it and I suspect my braking zones would end up being longer due to mentally trying not to flat spot my tires if I did try it. Plus the car might throw error messages on the dash that make it perform worse on track with the ABS disabled.

I have ridden as a passenger in a Miata on track with flat spotted tires and it is not a pleasant experience!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:41 PM   #50
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I suspect it would be easy to lock an inside front tire while trail braking with no ABS but I haven't tried it myself. Tires are too expensive for me to consider trying it and I suspect my braking zones would end up being longer due to mentally trying not to flat spot my tires if I did try it. Plus the car might throw error messages on the dash that make it perform worse on track with the ABS disabled.

I have ridden as a passenger in a Miata on track with flat spotted tires and it is not a pleasant experience!

I do think the risk of flat spotting the tires is the biggest risk factor. I'm thinking if I try this, much like when I first turned the nannies off, I'll have to dial it back a little and really pay attention to the braking. Ultimately I'd like to have the confidence that when I need the brakes to be there they will.

I have a new(used) ebcm being delivered tomorrow, I don't think I'll have time to install it though before Friday at Laguna.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:56 AM   #51
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
Sorry, I did not see this until now, on the higher speed corner, you are correct, the breaking initially works very well until I started to turn in, however, on the slower example, the car never started to slow down quickly even when I’m going straight, the same thing happened again to me today, I’ll have to rewatch the video and post it, but I recall it being a lot like the slower example where the brakes never started, slowing me down quickly, even before I started, turning in the trail braking.

I’m interested to hear more about your thoughts on this though…

I can’t recall if I had every single thing turned off both times or not to be honest, but I’m very sure in the video where it happens at slower speed, that I did have everything turned off.

What would the other affects of disconnecting are killing the YAW sensor be?
Old 07-18-2023, 01:01 AM   #52
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Disabling the yaw sensor is an interesting idea but would also disable PTM modes, if you want to run all nannies off it might work...

From experience, turning all nannies off won't affect hard pedal/ice mode due to yaw.

@Baddawg53, I'd guess disabling ABS entirely isn't possible without causing other issues, not sure I've heard of anyone trying it though.
I see, I don’t think I would want to get rid of ALL the traction control completely, with 800 hp I almost found out the hard way… even with some traction control on in race track mode, I fishtailed all the way up to about 80 miles an hour on the star/finish straight, which really caught me by surprise, and I don’t think I’d be willing to test that theory out unless I knew absolutely 100% for sure that it would get rid of the braking problem
Old 07-18-2023, 03:38 PM   #53
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Yeah, this is tough. The system needs to reset and the only way that happens is to release the brake and try again, the opposite of what your brain is screaming. Pushing harder only makes it worse.

Ken
So 100% for sure, releasing the pedal and hitting it again, will reengage the brakes correctly?

This is from experience I take it?
Old 07-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #54
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
So 100% for sure, releasing the pedal and hitting it again, will reengage the brakes correctly?

This is from experience I take it?
Yep, otherwise it just stays a locked pedal.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:33 PM   #55
GunMetalGrey

Good to know, I never pumped the brake, but the brakes eventually started to slow the car down again at a fast rate on their own, but obviously I’d like to avoid waiting for the computer to figure it out on its own..
Old 07-20-2023, 03:18 PM   #56
GunMetalGrey

Just realized I (and others in my situation) have one more option to get rid of Ice Mode... I have an updated 2019 ZL1 EMCB ABS Brake Module but not one from a ZL1 1LE (because I haven't been able to find one yet) so I'll keep looking...