Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 05-06-2023, 10:46 PM   #1
CYN_CRVR

Drives: 2023 V6 RS 6MT
CYN_CRVR's 2023 V6 - optimizing street performance for SoCal canyons

I just picked up my brand new Camaro today from Rydell Chevy in Northridge, CA (greater Los Angeles area). My plans for it are somewhat modest, but I'll be making a variety of tweaks and improvements to optimize it for street performance and make it "better than a 1LE".

For now, here are the key details and a few photos:
- 2023 1LT V6 6MT
- Riverside Blue
- RS package with gray painted machined-face wheels
- Recaro seats
- GMPP lowered suspension kit
- Brembo brakes
- Dual mode exhaust

CYN_CRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #2
Judy1le

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYN_CRVR View Post
I just picked up my brand new Camaro today from Rydell Chevy in Northridge, CA (greater Los Angeles area). My plans for it are somewhat modest, but I'll be making a variety of tweaks and improvements to optimize it for street performance and make it "better than a 1LE".

For now, here are the key details and a few photos:
- 2023 1LT V6 6MT
- Riverside Blue
- RS package with gray painted machined-face wheels
- Recaro seats
- GMPP lowered suspension kit
- Brembo brakes
- Dual mode exhaust

What tweaks and improvements to make it “better than a 1le”? Could start with the FE4 suspension that the lower trim 1les come with at a minimum. Wider set of wheels with appropriate tires are a no brainer.

Last edited by Judy1le; 05-07-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Judy1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:51 PM   #3
CYN_CRVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy1le View Post
What tweaks and improvements to make it “better than a 1le”? Could start with the FE4 suspension thats the lower trim 1les come with at a minimum. Wider set of wheels with appropriate tires are a no brainer.
I could have been clearer; I meant better than the V6 1LE that was discontinued after MY2021. They had the FE3 suspension, so I think my GMPP option is already equal or better from a springs/shocks standpoint. But I still need to add:
- sway bars (probably Hotchkis)
- wheels/tires (19x10 square setup)
- BMR cradle bushing lockout to eliminate the rearend slop
- SPL rear toe links and UCA's with eccentric lockouts to eliminate those stupid TTY bolts

And also probably:
- 1LE spec short-throw shifter
- "front shear panel" underbody brace

Basically, I'm looking to reproduce and/or improve upon the 2021 V6 1LE using a 2023 car. I didn't option the diff and engine oil coolers though because I won't be tracking it regularly.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:33 PM   #4
Judy1le

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
I could have been clearer; I meant better than the V6 1LE that was discontinued after MY2021. They had the FE3 suspension, so I think my GMPP option is already equal or better from a springs/shocks standpoint. But I still need to add:
- SPL rear toe links and UCA's with eccentric lockouts to eliminate those stupid TTY bolts

And also probably:

Basically, I'm looking to reproduce and/or improve upon the 2021 V6 1LE using a 2023 car. I didn't option the diff and engine oil coolers though because I won't be tracking it regularly.
I misspoke and meant to say FE3 suspension before. My apologies.
On the 1le short throw, theres only a 8-10% different in throw. Hurst has a short shifter that has a 40% reduction. Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan ahead. Fun project. Just throwing out a few things that my builder specced out for me fwiw.

BMR upper and lower trailing arms
Delrin rear cradle inserts
Sway bar endlinks front and rear
Blackwing brake coolers/deflectors
Stainless steel brakelines
Hurst short throw, mentioned above
Proper alignment!

Should be a pretty fun canyon carver for you!
Judy1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #5
CYN_CRVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy1le View Post
I misspoke and meant to say FE3 suspension before. My apologies.
On the 1le short throw, theres only a 8-10% different in throw. Hurst has a short shifter that has a 40% reduction. Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan ahead. Fun project. Just throwing out a few things that my builder specced out for me fwiw.

BMR upper and lower trailing arms
Delrin rear cradle inserts
Sway bar endlinks front and rear
Blackwing brake coolers/deflectors
Stainless steel brakelines
Hurst short throw, mentioned above
Proper alignment!

Should be a pretty fun canyon carver for you!
Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-08-2023, 03:23 PM   #6
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:

And also probably:

Your use case is a bit different than mine when I had my 2018 2LT V6 1LE since I wanted a track car I could daily drive , but this list looks like a spot-on starting point. Smart move optioning the NPP and Recaros!

I never really felt the need for the cradle lockout on my V6 since it just didn't move around on me much at the track (drag strip or street launches might be a diff story, I never did that), though it was the first thing I did to my SS 1LE because the LT1 motor just torques that cradle around.

The toe arms I also never did on my V6 since I was able to get -1.5 degrees which was fine and the adjustment never really shifted over 9 or so track days. I did, however, add the toe arms to my SS to get more rear camber and as an insurance policy against unwanted camber adjustment from hitting curbing.

As Judy mentioned, the 1LE 'short shifter' is really not much different in feel/throw than the standard, so if you are gonna put in the labor look for a better solution.

I also put some pics up of my 19x10" ET20 Apex wheels in your wheel/tire thread if you want to check them out to help guide your decision.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #7
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Since you want a canyon carver type of car I feel like what you have is pretty well setup for that as it is. I don’t think the SPL arms and cradle lockout will do much, you could probably spend that money in other areas like the wheels and tires.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:58 PM   #8
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Also worth noting that toe arms only eliminate the inner TTY bolt, but the bolt at the knuckle is still TTY. Most people seem to re-use but I picked up a couple new ones for cheap at the dealer and they were in stock.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:22 PM   #9
CYN_CRVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
I never really felt the need for the cradle lockout on my V6 since it just didn't move around on me much at the track...

The toe arms I also never did on my V6 since I was able to get -1.5 degrees which was fine and the adjustment never really shifted over 9 or so track days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
Since you want a canyon carver type of car I feel like what you have is pretty well setup for that as it is. I don’t think the SPL arms and cradle lockout will do much, you could probably spend that money in other areas like the wheels and tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
Also worth noting that toe arms only eliminate the inner TTY bolt, but the bolt at the knuckle is still TTY.
This is great input, guys. I sometimes forget that the majority of forum members have V8 cars, and what's best for them isn't necessarily best for me. I think I'll hold off on the SPL bits and cradle bushings for now. Instead I'll expedite the sway bars and wheels/tires, since those are mods I'm 100% certain will provide immediately noticeable benefits.
Thanks for saving me some cash!
Old 05-08-2023, 09:30 PM   #10
CYN_CRVR

I'm also skipping the short shifter for now due to the labor involved. I had previously assumed it was a simple job done from the top, rather than requiring the transmission to be dropped.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:00 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
hit up rob at chewerks he can help you get some of those parts installed and get you a badass alignment
Old 05-09-2023, 03:11 PM   #12
CYN_CRVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
hit up rob at chewerks he can help you get some of those parts installed and get you a badass alignment
Thanks for the recommendation; I'm always looking for trustworthy shops.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:33 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup he does all my stuff on my camaro ss track car build he did alot of my spl parts my coilovers and all my alignment stuff
Old 05-10-2023, 06:09 AM   #14
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Alloy shifter bushings from custom metal bushings I think will be best help for the shifter.I have them, haven't installed yet. The gm upgrade swaybar kit for the ss is what I'm looking at, it has the front end links you will need. Get at least 1 degree neg camber on front and .8 on rear. Change engine oil every 4-5 k miles and tranny , diff. oil 20-30k miles. Just my 2 cents. I have 50 k miles on mine.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote