Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2023, 01:06 PM   #29
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I, as the OP, am now bowing out of this thread. The point of the post was to inform others of an unanticipated benefit of the Rev-Match feature to prevent money shifting the trans.

It was not to debate the best approach to down-shifting under heavy braking. If you would like to debate that, then I kindly suggest you start your own thread on that topic.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 05:43 PM   #30
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
If its any help, I did manage to grab 2nd instead of 4th on an upshift(or an attempt at upshift). I was thankfully short shifting a little bit and I was right at the apex of a flat out uphill corner. It definitely overrevved a little but it decided to break traction and slide instead of blow up. I stopped 4ft from a steel barrier. That is now my favorite gravel trap.

https://youtu.be/bQ8tN3x3Cx0

I think because I was running 200TW tire and was loaded in a corner, the outside tire broke traction with the jolt. Straight up and down braking might be riskier if you manage to money shift, but I came out (relatively) unscathed.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:09 PM   #31
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
If its any help, I did manage to grab 2nd instead of 4th on an upshift(or an attempt at upshift). I was thankfully short shifting a little bit and I was right at the apex of a flat out uphill corner. It definitely overrevved a little but it decided to break traction and slide instead of blow up. I stopped 4ft from a steel barrier. That is now my favorite gravel trap.

https://youtu.be/bQ8tN3x3Cx0

I think because I was running 200TW tire and was loaded in a corner, the outside tire broke traction with the jolt. Straight up and down braking might be riskier if you manage to money shift, but I came out (relatively) unscathed.
Well, that was scary. Hopefully you brought extra underwear.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:01 PM   #32
Christian1LE

So adding 1 more data point. I also money shifted from 3rd to 2nd at VIR coming out of the last turn into the main straight(G forces with slicks made my hand go into 2nd instead of 4th). Both rear wheels locked up, car got sideways but I saved it. No issues at all, no blown engine. This car can take some abuse.

Was going 96 MPH when the rear wheels locked up. Data says the car went to 6930k RPM

Will have video coming soon with it lol. I accepted I was going to crash when it happened. Facing towards the wall at that speed was unlucky. All is well that ends well though.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:23 PM   #33
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
So adding 1 more data point. I also money shifted from 3rd to 2nd at VIR coming out of the last turn into the main straight(G forces with slicks made my hand go into 2nd instead of 4th). Both rear wheels locked up, car got sideways but I saved it. No issues at all, no blown engine. This car can take some abuse.

Was going 96 MPH when the rear wheels locked up. Data says the car went to 6930k RPM

Will have video coming soon with it lol. I accepted I was going to crash when it happened. Facing towards the wall at that speed was unlucky. All is well that ends well though.
Glad you and the car are both OK. I'll look forward to seeing that video and the save you made. It sounds like it was one hell of a save!
Old 05-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #34
Christian1LE

Here it is, at the very end of the video

Old 05-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #35
N Camarolina

Thanks for posting. It looks like you were quickly on top of the oversteer and only had a minor over correction.

I'm still working on figuring out how much counter steer it takes for a given situation and getting it right the first time (mostly because the steering rack has more turns to lock and isn't automatically intuitive like a very fast ratio kart). Do you have any tips to offer in this regard? You made the counter steer correction so quickly that I'm assuming it was completely subconscious. Was that indeed the case?
Old 05-22-2023, 07:00 PM   #36
Christian1LE

Yeah, definitely no time to think about it. Even when I'm driving on the limit correcting slides is more of a feel than anything I'm thinking about. The only thing I'm concentrating on is driving the right line through a sector, the grip I can feel through the tires, and different braking markers. The corrections on the wheel are not something I really think about. I think the best bet would be to get on a skid pad and work on oversteer/understeer and how to manage that with throttle, brake, steering.

Honestly if I had time to think about it I would have never tried to correct back to the right, I would have just preferred to spin out into the grass. Always a chance you will get bit by overcorrecting and getting a tank slapper back the other way. The video above by eimarshall is basically a case of this, could have just as easily happened to me.