Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 04-17-2023, 05:12 PM   #1
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Don't do what I did

Long story as short as I can. So I hit a rather large pothole on the edge of a turn turn that I have taken in a rather spirited fashion many times before. This particular time it happened to be dark and given I am even telling this story, I clearly missed the turn by approximately 10' or so. The hit felt really hard and I was amazed everything seemed intact and I had no vibrations and all felt fine. The next time I had the wheels off, maybe a couple months later, I noticed the wheel had a visible flat spot on the inside edge of the wheel even though it felt fine. I didn't have a lot of options so I let it go. All this happened about a year and a half ago. Recently I began losing air in the same wheel and after a week of adding air every morning before work and not finding anything after jacking up the car and getting right on top of the tire with a light , I finally pulled the wheel off to get a better look. Well I found the problem was a cracked wheel...yes the bent wheel. That's the bad news. The good news is that I figured if I was replacing one I would add three more matching ones. The moral of the story is, don't hit a massive pothole, and if you do then get the wheel checked closely. If you find a bent wheel, fix it.
Attached Images

Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 05:23 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup i bent a wheel about a year or so ago got it fixed and drove on it for another year or so and then decided to sell them to buy brand new ones lol i did it on track and it sounded bad
Old 04-18-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
I got in a wreck in my BRZ a few years ago(totaled by mustang driver) and I pulled my aftermarket wheels off to try to sell them. The front left had been pushed back but it looked fine visually. I got a new tire on it and told the shop to balance it. They tried to spin it up on their balancing machine but it basically said "no". They showed me when they spun it on the hub of the balancer, the rim of the wheel wobbled about an inch. Basically the hub was slightly bent and out of line with the barrel. I would not have seen that if I had mounted it on a car myself!!

APEX honored their policy and sold me a new wheel at half price! I sold them as a set for a decent deal and used the insurance payout as my Camaro's down payment.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:53 PM   #4
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Damn. That had to have been a very hard hit. The 1LE wheels are supposed to be very strong.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Was the damaged wheel an OEM SS 1LE wheel or an aftermarket MRR017?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:33 PM   #6
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Was the damaged wheel an OEM SS 1LE wheel or an aftermarket MRR017?
Good catch! It's an important distinction.

Looks like the center cap says MRR and I would expect to see a GM stamp on the inside of the wheel if OEM. Appears to be an MRR cast wheel.

The OEM SS 1LE wheels are forged
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:43 PM   #7
gen6_1ss

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin Metallic 1LE
If you look at the picture of the cracked wheel you can clearly see that it is not the same wheel that he shows on the car. Also, if you read his post, he stated that he bought new wheels which I am going to say are the MMR's.
gen6_1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:47 PM   #8
Z28GTOSSMike

The cracked wheel was a MRR ZLE style in a 20 inch wheel. The replacement is a MRR M017. Should have been more clear.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:51 PM   #9
Z28GTOSSMike

It was a really hard hit and I certainly don't fault the wheel. Heck, I bought another set of the same brand.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:47 AM   #10
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
Yeah man, we have all seen a massive pothole or road defect too late, just hold on and pray nothing gets damaged.

Melon is offline   Reply With Quote