Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #15
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Update - the newer Foxwell NT650 Elite doesn't quite work correctly. The firing order was different (LR, LF, RF, RR) and it only activated the pump at on the right side. Lastly, it continued activating the pump well after the device indicated the procedure was complete.

Working with their tech support now.

I've run several tests (with bleeders closed to save fluid), so hopefully the extra activations of the ABS pump doesn't put any undue stress on the braking system.

Last edited by CRBWS6; 06-02-2023 at 12:09 AM.
CRBWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:16 PM   #16
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
NT630 Plus here also. No issues. Great pedal feel.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:25 PM   #17
CRBWS6

OK, I purchased and tested the NT630Plus today with the same result as the NT650Elite:

The procedure runs as follows: LR, LF, RF, RR and the pump only activates on the right side. After the tool indicates the procedure is completed on the screen it continues pumping. Video for reference, of the NT650 and I didn't actually open any bleeders.

Last edited by CRBWS6; 06-03-2023 at 07:50 PM.
CRBWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:09 AM   #18
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
OK, I purchased and tested the NT630Plus today with the same result as the NT650Elite:

The procedure runs as follows: LR, LF, RF, RR and the pump only activates on the right side. After the tool indicates the procedure is completed on the screen it continues pumping. Video for reference, of the NT650 and I didn't actually open any bleeders.

Thanks for the info and video, I'm seeing the same behavior on my NT630Plus as well, both with the stock home/data and the updated home/data.

Stock home version: v2.03.001
Updated home version: v2.04.002
Stock GM data: v3.17.001
Updated GM data: v4.05.001

I already have the car in the 'service position' so I will probably just go ahead with the automated bleed along with some manual ABS solenoid and TC solenoid activations (these seem to work as expected on the NT630Plus). I have also read that some cars activate all the ABS channels at once so really only one caliper needs to be bled while the cycle is running. Either way fingers crossed my soft/sinking pedal issue is resolved otherwise I'm throwing in the towel and it's going to the dealer.
wilbur_xmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:14 AM   #19
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid_1LE View Post
Has anybody found a tool that is able to run the ABS pump in order to fully flush/bleed the brake system like the GM Tech 2 tool?
Thanks for the tests and reports! So the bottom line here is that none of the aftermarket devices mentioned in this thread can perform the full flush/bleed correctly?
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:09 AM   #20
CRBWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
Thanks for the info and video, I'm seeing the same behavior on my NT630Plus as well, both with the stock home/data and the updated home/data.

Either way fingers crossed my soft/sinking pedal issue is resolved otherwise I'm throwing in the towel and it's going to the dealer.
You're welcome, sorry to hear it. Please update us on the outcome with your pedal.

My theory is that the newer Foxwell software updates may have messed up the procedure. The latest word from the Foxwell tech support:

From Foxwell Sales Team
Fri, Jun 2, 1:28 AM (6 days ago)
The engineer replied to me that due to the problem of the file, it cannot be modified temporarily. It is necessary to find a vehicle exactly like yours for testing, and then the specific file can be obtained.
We will do our best to find the exact same vehicle as you, but the time is uncertain, we can refund you $20 for the waiting fee, what do you think?

So I went ahead and ran the "wrong" automated bleed procedure, but haven't yet taken the car off the lift to test if the soft/sinking pedal is fixed.

If this doesn't resolve it, I may look into the LAUNCH Creader Elite scan tool mentioned by Briland_1LE in an earlier post. Has anyone successfully used this tool for ABS bleed?

And my last resort may be a Signature Corvette dealer who is used to large fixed caliper brakes and customer provided DOT4 race fluid.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:49 AM   #21
wilbur_xmas

Well I struck out on my attempt, here is what I did:
  • Hooked car up to battery charger
  • Put the car in 'service' mode by holding start button 5 seconds with no pedal input
  • Put 2L of DOT4 fluid in my Motive Power Bleeder @ 15PSI
  • Ran through automated bleed procedure on NT630 Plus using only the inner bleed screws on the calipers
  • Ran through service manual caliper bleed (RR, DF, DR, RF) using inner and outer bleed screws. While each caliper was bleeding I cycled the ABS solenoid twice and the TCS solenoid once with the NT630 Plus

One thing to note is that while bleeding the RR caliper on the automated bleed while the ABS pump and solenoid were cycling, I did get some very fine bubbles in the bleed line. Typing this up has me thinking I should have tried a second automated bleed, but considering the pedal feel was the same before and after I'm not sure it would have helped.

Other things done while the car was up in air:
  • Inspected pads for fluid contamination
  • Compressed caliper pistons

However, the end result is still a soft pedal so I think I'm throwing in the towel and taking it to a dealership. Might also look up some replacement stock pads because I'm in this far and might as well see it through...
Old 06-09-2023, 01:05 PM   #22
CRBWS6

UPDATE: running the NT630 Plus with the "wrong" procedure did not help my sinking/soft pedal either. Feels exactly the same as before. Didn't see any bubbles.

For now I would like to keep this thread going in case anyone can list a different scan tool (non-Foxwell) which has successfully performed the ABS bleed on a 6th gen.

wilber - let us know if/how the dealer solves your sinking/soft pedal issue.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #23
CRBWS6

I have an idea if the any of the NT630 Plus folks with ABS bleed success are able to help.

When trying to solve this problem with tech support in China, they had me replace 2 ABS files on the Micro SD card that is loaded in the device.

The files that came on the NT 630 Plus are fairly new (1/11/2023) and they were replaced with newer files (6/2023) which didn't solve the problem, but it did slightly change the procedure.

Would someone be willing to take the Micro SD card out of their NT630 Plus and check the date of these 2 files on their computer? If older than 1/11/2023, we could either request older files from China or maybe we share amongst ourselves.

Here is the procedure per Foxwell tech support:

Please take out the SD card, insert it into the card reader, connect the computer, open the SD, Vehicles-> American> GM-> Res-> Text

Here is a Windows File Explorer screen shot of two files to look for (arrows):
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2023, 08:24 PM   #24
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I may be able to do that tomorrow, and if not I should be able to do it Wednesday. Things are a little crazy right now, but I'll do my best.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:39 PM   #25
CRBWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I may be able to do that tomorrow, and if not I should be able to do it Wednesday. Things are a little crazy right now, but I'll do my best.
Thanks, no rush.

PS congrats on the trophy in Lincoln.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:48 PM   #26
wilbur_xmas

I don't think this helps much, but my Foxwell NT 630 Plus came with files from 8/22/2022 and they exhibited the same unexpected behavior. Either way those files were wiped out when I updated via the Foxwell software on 6/7/2023 which also overwrote the created/modified/opened date stamp on my FX_SpeFLib.cbf and FX_SYS.cbf files to 6/7/2023.

I came across this thread where ZL1GMA indicates in Post #6 that he used the GM GD2 for his automated bleed and is seeing the same behavior that we are, so perhaps this is actually the proper behavior. I do know that for each stage of the cycle my DIC shows 'ABS Service' when the Foxwell reader is executing the procedure, which also seems promising.

In my stubborn attempt to avoid the crappy local dealerships I have since put in all new pads (Powerstop Z23s since they were a cheap test and I will use them as low dust daily pads) and since it was up I ran another automated bleed cycle and saw some more fine bubbles. My sinking pedal seems to have gone away but it still feels a bit soft and the pedal returns more slowly than I recall it doing before. Just to make sure it wasn't all in my head I went to a local used performance car dealer that has 3 SS 1LEs in stock and started and compared a couple of their cars to mine and they both had a softer pedal than I expected, but still felt marginally better than mine. I have some warranty work I need to schedule at one of the local dealers so I will shell out the $200 to have them bleed/flush when they have the car, just to ride this 'sunk cost fallacy' train to the final station. Will provide an update either way once I can get that scheduled and performed.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:28 AM   #27
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
PS congrats on the trophy in Lincoln.
Thanks! That was more than I was expecting out of that weekend.
Old 06-24-2023, 12:36 PM   #28
wilbur_xmas

Got my car back from the dealer yesterday after a factory bleed procedure and the brake feels the same as when I dropped it off, a bit softer than expected. Provided my own DOT4 fluid since it knocked $104 off the price of the bleed ($259 down to $155, yeesh).

However, I have noticed that after the new brake pads were put on and I did a light bedding the pedal firmness at the bite point improved drastically and continues to improve the more I drive it. My old pads were fairly worn and may have some pad taper going on which contributed to my issue. My rotors are also fairly worn so I'm probably looking at some DBA front discs and rear rotors and fresh stock pads before my next track session.

I'm putting this particular issue behind me for now but wanted to update that the dealer bleed made no difference in my case, but a couple automated bleeds on the Foxwell and a pad swap did make a difference.