Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Front strut tower stress cracks?

I was doing maintenance on my SS 1LE and while looking up from the underside of the front wheel wells, I noticed what looks like hairline stress cracks in the underside of both front strut towers. These "cracks" run radially (irregularly in a broad circle near where the side of the strut tower meets the top surface; and a smaller "circle" more toward the center of the tower cap). The hairline cracks are easier to spot on the underside of the tower because they are black cracks against a primer paint color. The same hairline cracks can also be seen on the outside painted surface (looking into the engine bay), but are harder to spot given my car is red. There is no tearing or separation of the metal. My car has not been in an accident, but I do track it and have had one off incident where I went over the outside low gaters at about 85mph (but it didn't feel like much of a bump at the time).

I don't have photos from my car but saw these same cracks in another member's car posted from 2020 (look at the cracks I've circled and ignore the one that the area I have an "X" through).

Has anyone else observed these "cracks" in their Camaro? Are they actually stress cracks?
Attached Images

N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:36 AM   #2
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
The ones in the circles look normal (as in every 6th Gen. Camaro I’ve seen has them).

The strut towers are aluminum. Perhaps these are just imperfections from the casting?
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:05 AM   #3
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
^ This. Cast parts will show imperfections like that in perfectly good parts. Unless you see some definite separation and fresh metal, I wouldn't worry about it. The one time I saw pics of a cracked strut tower was when the person hit a curb at speed. It was very evident there was a problem.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:00 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Thanks guys. Definitely no fresh metal exposed like in the "X" portion of the above picture. The picture I posted above was in fact the one from the guy who hit a low curb at speed as part of accident avoidance maneuver).
Old 04-11-2023, 02:18 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Somewhat an old issue. This is carryover part from the Alpha architecture and the same casting exists in the CTS and ATS. Another reason why the Camaro is pricey is GM picked the best AND most expensive architecture to build it on. I would love to have seen a Camaro off of the Omega architecture which was lighter still than Alpha and would have enabled a larger car fixing many Camaro issues.

This issue is most likely due to a pot hole or other extreme event, not fatigue. If it was fatigue, it would be found on a lot of high mileage Camaros (and ATS/CTS).

But a search of Camaro 6 and YouTube will result in this crack in the aluminum casting.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:10 PM   #6
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
I just checked my Strut mounts. no Cracks at all.Get yours checked asap.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Google liquid penetrant testing (it's a dye you put on the surface) on how you can use this method to find cracks open to the surface. Using this test method will tell you if they are cracks or not.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:26 PM   #8
N Camarolina

Thanks everyone for their input. To put this to bed, I am happy to report I've determined these markings are indeed normal (likely casting imperfections as Mr Goodbytes theorized), and not stress cracks.

I was at the shop today getting my car inspected for the track, when low and behold in the bay next to mine was a brand new 2023 SS 1LE . The mechanic allowed me to go under the lift and inspect the underside of the 2023's strut towers. They had black "crack" markings in a radial pattern that looked exactly like the ones on my 2021! It has to be casting imperfections that catch road dirt and turn black against the background primer color.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Yes indeed, casting flaws that are in the aluminum casting. Nothing to worry about, they all have them.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 12:23 AM   #10
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Mine don't have them but mine is a 17'.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:44 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I'm sure not gonna lose sleep over cracks that show up after someone "mustang'd" their Camaro.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:39 AM   #12
rst08tierney
Account Suspended

Drives: '23 2SS Rapid Blue
Mines a 23 and I don't have those but haven't smacked a curb. Did you buy used or new?
rst08tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 02:14 PM   #13
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
Mines a 23 and I don't have those but haven't smacked a curb. Did you buy used or new?
Is your SS capable of going fast enough to smack a curb and do that to your strut? I'd love to choke out the engineer that decided to make a Camaro in the SS trim.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:38 PM   #14
rst08tierney
Account Suspended

Drives: '23 2SS Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Is your SS capable of going fast enough to smack a curb and do that to your strut? I'd love to choke out the engineer that decided to make a Camaro in the SS trim.

For some on here like my self the SS holds much more meaning then the ZL1.

Considering the ZL1 Phase 1,2 &3 through the 4th Gens were so rare at the time it was never a reality for most. The SS on the other hand was obtainable for the common man in which you could bolt on added HP. Now anyone can go out, find and buy a ZL1. The badge unfortunately has become watered down but the build is an absolute beast that needs to be used properly. Its too much car for 90% of the drivers on the road.

For those who don't track and just want a piece of what's left of American history the SS with all the creature comforts is more than enough.
rst08tierney is offline   Reply With Quote