#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #1
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Journey into HPDE with a ZLE

Long overdue for a Car Journal! Making this thread to document and track my journey into High Performance Driver's Education (aka Track Days) with my 2019 ZL1 1LE.

First, some background -- I've been a GM guy since I was a kid and grew up wrenching on my father's 50s, 60s & 70s cars. Mostly muscle cars, sometimes car-boats (looking at you '75 Delta 88) and a '56 190SL (yes, not GM, but whatta car!)

I frequented fbody.com and ls1tech while I was in high school and fell in love with the fourth gen trans am. That's where my handle / user name originates from -- 2002 Ram Air Trans Am (aka WS6). That was my dream car. I ended up saving and saving and saving and purchased my first car when I was 16 -- a 1999 Pontiac Trans Am. Did a cam install with supporting valvetrain and bolt-ons in my parent's garage. Unfortunately, that car was totaled -- I was at a dead stop to make a left hand turn and was rear ended by someone going 40+ mph.

Still, I loved the fourth gen f-bodies and found a 2000 WS6 out in Ohio. Made the 8 hour drive out there and drove it back in a blizzard. Thinking back, I'm not sure how I had the courage (I suppose typical youth invincibility) nor how I made it home. Ended up moving over the bolt-ons from my '99 Trans Am and did heads/cam on that car. TSP MS4 Cam, Patriot CNC Ported 243 heads and supporting valvetrain mods. Ended up breaking the stock 10 bolt at the dragstrip and installed a Moser 12 bolt. She put down 432 hp / 385 tq on a dynojet way back in 2006. I wish I had some footage from the dragstrip, but instead I have this fun burnout video. And here's a potato quality video post heads/cam install, but before tune. Please excuse the mid 2000's baggy jeans And this video is literally the FIRST startup after doing the heads/cam. I was terribly nervous. While I had turned over the engine by hand, I had no confidence the car was going to start and run. I had images in my mind of what the sound of piston hitting valve would be like. Thankfully, I executed the install and timing alright and everything worked as it should have!

I regret ever selling the WS6. Should've held onto her, but I sold her and purchased a 2005 CTS-V. The first gen V was a great car, but nothing compared to the Gen 2. I kept that car until 2009 when they were bringing back the Camaro. Bought a 2010 2SS/RS, did some light modding and then sold her around 2013 when I moved to NYC and it didn't make sense to have a car. Here's a 12.5 run with bolt ons.

At the end of 2018, I bought a house in the suburbs of NYC and it was time to get back into the hobby. I purchased a 2011 CTS Wagon as a daily driver and found a 2019 ZL1 1LE at a local dealer. I had no intention of purchasing the ZLE when I went to look at her -- I was actually in the market for a first gen or early second gen firebird / trans am or camaro, but I fell in love with the ZLE.

Attached some photos of my old cars here. The next post will be about the ZLE.

Attached Images

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 01-09-2023 at 03:00 PM.
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

I purchased my 2019 ZL1 1LE in April 2019 new with only 3 miles on the odometer. M6 in Shadow Gray Metallic optioned with PDR, Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel, Navigation and Wheel Locks.

Based on advice from this forum, I requested the car dirty & untouched. Took her home for one night and then straight for paint correction & PPF the next morning.

A few weeks later she was ready for her first foam cannon wash and a month after that, she made her first road trip from NJ to Newport, RI. Added her first mods -- ZL1addons Tow Hook & Rock Guards just before the road trip.
Attached Images

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 01-05-2023, 03:59 PM   #3
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

From owning some form of LS-powered M6 car since I was 16, I had been itching to get back into the car hobby throughout my 7 years living in NYC. I had always been into drag racing from a young age, lots of racing at the local strips, but also a lot of late night street racing (which I certainly don't condone! Do as I say, not as I do/did )

I bought the ZLE with the intention to get into HPDE. One of my best friend's father had been doing events with PCA for 20+ years. He's had a bunch of different Porsche track cars over the years, but currently tracks a 991 GT3. His son (my buddy) and he share that car for track events. Getting into HPDE took a little longer than expected, however. Did you guys hear there was (is?) a pandemic that started in 2020? The only mod I did in 2020 was add ZL1addons Lift Pads. Otherwise, just general maintenance. No track days, unfortunately.

I ultimately got to my first HPDE event in May 2021. In preparation for that event, I had my local dealership do a track alignment -- worst decision ever. I now only let a speed shop I trust do my alignment. The dealership had no idea what they were doing and mangled up the blue nuts at the top of the struts. The idiot tech didn't realize there is alignment pin -- he was trying to muscle it without taking out the pin. Lesson learned. I also flushed my OEM brake fluid for Motul RBF 660 before the track weekend.

Anyway, I did the 3 day HPDE event with PCA at Watkins Glen in May 2021 and absolutely fell in love with track days. Very different than drag racing -- the adrenaline rush is so prolonged! I found my new passion.

My best lap that weekend was 2:12.46 which is not quick by any means, but a LOT faster than when I started the weekend. I went back to Watkins Glen in October 2021 and -- was slower! 2:14.21 was the best I could muster. No worries though -- I still had (and still do have!) a lot to learn and was working on good fundamentals with my instructors.

Once I got back from my first HPDE weekend in May 2021, I bought a QuickJack (highly highly recommend if you wrench on your own car!) and a second set of wheels -- BC Forged RZ05 in stock ZLE sizes. I realized I didn't want to waste my GY SC3Rs driving to and from the track, so I put a set of PS4S tires on the BC Forged wheels and relegated my stock wheels for track duty with SC3Rs.

Some pics below prepping for and during my first track weekend. And a shot doing a service after the event on my new QuickJack.
Attached Images

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 01-05-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:23 PM   #4
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Interesting story so far!
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:55 PM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
If you want to slow down a bit.. you can come dodge cones at MetLife!

Goal for 2023.. track day or two.

Did you change out to 15W50 for track days?
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:00 PM   #6
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
If you want to slow down a bit.. you can come dodge cones at MetLife!

Goal for 2023.. track day or two.

Did you change out to 15W50 for track days?
I did do an AutoX event with you guys -- May 2, 2021! I did an event or two many moons ago in the CTS-V as well. Pics attached. I believe you know my buddy, Lyndyn Kraemer, with the white Focus RS. I'd love to get more autox seat time, but my priority is definitely locking in the HPDE track schedule for this coming season. I encourage you to come join the antics

And, yes, I've switched over to 15W50 full time since the car is stored in the winter and is seldom driven on the street at this point.
Attached Images

YouTube
Old 01-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #7
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Added a few more mods last summer -- smoked sidemarkers & rear reflectors, license plate LEDs, RotoFab CAI and the ADM Intercooler Reservoir. Also installed a tire rack in my tiny one car garage to stow track wheels & tires. Including some pics of the BC Forged RZ05 wheels wrapped in PS4S to this post too.
Attached Images

YouTube
Old 01-05-2023, 07:21 PM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

While I only got to two HPDE events in 2021, I was 100% hooked. I wanted to fit in as many events for 2022 as my schedule allowed. I was back at Watkins Glen in May 2022 and put in my best lap, 2:11.46.

I did an event at NJMP - Thunderbolt for the first time and worked my way up to a 1:33.30. Loved that track and would like to get more seat time there this season. I mean it's no comparison to Watkins Glen, but it's half the distance from home and the ZLE feels great there.

Then it was back to Watkins Glen in August and something clicked -- I made a huge improvement on my best time. Ran a 2:06.54.

As far as mods, I added the CT5-V Blackwing Deflectors to the car in September. I appreciated the testing a forum member did on the different deflectors and figured it was worthwhile to do. And my son, who just turned 3, is old enough now to help me wash the car.

In October, I went to NJMP - Lightning for the first time. It was an ok experience, but it took me a long time to learn that track. It's a bit tight and technical for our cars and kinda less fun, IMHO, since our cars don't really have the best chance to spread their legs. That may be the novice driver in me speaking though, as I've spoken with other SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZLE owners that love that track. The best lap I could put together was a 1:15.01. Not great. More seat time needed for sure. I also had my first on track incident there -- a small spin on cold tires. Totally surprised me and I didn't see it coming at all.

Then my last event of the season was in October at Watkins Glen and I improved my time again -- ran a best of 2:05.60 and feel there was maybe another half second in that lap had I not gotten held up by the Porsche waiting for a point by.

On a separate note, I saw a best of 24.1 mpg driving up from NJ to WGI. I also got some proper magnetic numbers for the doors and reusable vinyl numbers for the front and rear from trackdecals.com

Attached Images

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 01-09-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:49 PM   #9
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

For this upcoming season, I'm adding a couple of more mods over the winter.

First of all, the rear toe is always out of whack after an event and so I've been getting an alignment done after almost every event. So I picked up a set of SPL Toe Arms with eccentric lockout to help address this issue.

Next, I want to focus on safety (and becoming a better driver!) before adding go-fast goodies. Thus, I purchased a roll bar from Competition Motorsport as well as a couple of sets of Schroth Profi II ASM harnesses and a NECKSGEN Rev 2 Lite HANS device. I'm making my own rear seat delete kit. Upright part is done and I'll make the bottom pieces after I install the roll bar. Oh and I grabbed a couple of cheap seat belt sims from aliexpress so I don't have a light on or dinging when using the harnesses.
Attached Images

YouTube
Old 01-06-2023, 08:37 AM   #10
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Here's a quick & dirty summary of fluids & consumables I'm currently running:

Motor Oil: Mobil 1 15W-50 (change every other event)
Brake Fluid: Castrol SRF (change 1-2x per season)
Manual Transmission: Amsoil Torque-Drive ATF (change once per year)
Rear Diff: ACDelco 10-4034 75W-90 Gear Oil (change once per year)
Brake Pads: OEM Ferodo (change every 1-2 events)
Tires: OEM SC3R (change as needed)

For my first couple of track events, I ran Motul RBF 660, but I would feel the pedal get a bit soft / long at the end of the 20-25 min sessions on track. Since I've switched to Castrol SRF, I haven't had this issue at all. That said, the Motul 660 is likely fine fluid and it's the novice driver in me braking too much (getting the brakes too hot, cooking the fluid). Thus, while the Castrol SRF is a superior fluid, I am sure some of my issue resolution has come from becoming a better driver (less brake!!!).

I've been happy with the OEM Ferodo pads, but as I've become quicker (harder but less braking), I am wearing through them VERY quickly (1-2 track events) and the wear is VERY uneven. I don't have a pic handy -- I'll try to remember to snap one when I put on new pads in the next few weeks -- but the last few sets have had more than half pad life up top/front while the bottom/rear of the pad is on the wear bars. I have one more new set of OEM Ferodos and need to remember to flip them upside down mid-weekend this season. I'm also considering moving to a DTC70 front // DTC60 rear combo after I wear through my last set of OEM Ferodos. I will likely buy an extra set of rotors to have on hand since I know the Hawks will be harder on the rotors.

I may also upgrade to the vented Z06 pistons over the winter. Not sure if I'll have time to do the pistons & caliper rebuild, but it's next on the mod list. I still need to install the roll bar, harnesses, toe arms and do a full service on the car. And I work too much and have some young kiddos. Ideally, I'll get to it over the winter. If not, perhaps during the season.
Attached Images

YouTube
Old 01-06-2023, 09:01 AM   #11
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Awesome journal so far. Thanks for sharing your journey with the ZLE.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
You've got my plates and car#...

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  241.1 KB

Name:  23z.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  99.8 KB
Old 01-06-2023, 09:37 AM   #13
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
Interesting story so far!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
Awesome journal so far. Thanks for sharing your journey with the ZLE.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You've got my plates and car#...

Attachment 1117669

Attachment 1117670
Ha! Would you look at that -- great mind my Texan brother

YouTube
Old 01-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #14
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Long strange trip for me as well. Started quarter-mile racing and became bored with taking a 10 second pass and then sitting in the pits for an hour to wait for your car to cool down, followed by another 10 second pass. Went to the SRT driving experience and caught the road racing bug for good.

Tried to road race my Chrysler 300, which got a lot of laughs, until I started hitting 170mph on the back straight and hitting 2:15 full course at VIR. Surprised a lot of people. Then on to my 2 CTSV’s (sedan, then coupe) again, trying to make a fat car fast. Not fun. Finally bought my first Z06. Followed by my second. Got my times down to 2:02. Wanted to switch from a seven speed to an automatic in the ZL1 1LE is the only automatic vehicle that I would trust for track duty. Haven’t tracked it yet but can’t wait.
Attached Images

2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote