Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2022, 02:29 AM   #1
Pickles

Drives: Audi RS3
Puncture/Rear Wheel Storage?

Hello from Aussie.
Haven't bought a ZL1 yet, but in view of the sort of use it would have, there are a few practical issues that I need to clear up before I do.
The car would not be doing much city use, we'd mainly use it for time away, cruising in the country etc, where long distances are involved, not within easy reach of roadside service etc.
I've always made sure that previous cars I've owned have had a full sized spare wheel so that if I have a flat, I simply change the wheel, so I've been looking at the "Modern Spare" which has been mentioned on this site which I thought would solve this issue.
But I've also read here that the rear wheel & tire will not fit in the boot (trunk to you guys!), nor can it be placed on the rear seat (because there isn't enough clearance/space between the B pillar & front seat to get the wheel in there) , apparently the only place it will fit is in the front passenger seat when that seat is pushed right back. So, if there's two of us in the car, which there normally are, the carrying of the deflated rear tire & wheel would seem to be a major issue as it will not fit into the trunk.
Finally, as I've said, I've yet to own a ZL1, so I don't know a lot, so I just need to say, that all of the info that I'm talking about in this post has been gathered from this site, which an invaluable source of info for newbies like me. So I guess I'm combining what I've read here, to embrace a number of situations, in the event of a puncture.
Just wondering what you guys think about this?
Sorry to be a bit long winded, & regards from Aussie, Pickles.

Last edited by Pickles; 09-18-2022 at 05:37 AM.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:24 AM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Hey Pickles, any of the four wheels and tires fit in the trunk or on the rear seat, don't worry. The trunk, at least on the coupe, is not small at all, its only problem is the short and narrow opening, but a wheel with a tire will clear it.

I did transport 4 of these suckers in the Camaro, one in the trunk, two squeezed onto the rear seat, one chilling on the front pass seat, not easy and leaves little contiguous space for any other luggage in the trunk, but doable. A convertible, however, is probably a different story, one I don't have firsthand experience with, but its trunk is much smaller.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Hey Pickles, any of the four wheels and tires fit in the trunk or on the rear seat, don't worry. The trunk, at least on the coupe, is not small at all, its only problem is the short and narrow opening, but a wheel with a tire will clear it.

I did transport 4 of these suckers in the Camaro, one in the trunk, two squeezed onto the rear seat, one chilling on the front pass seat, not easy and leaves little contiguous space for any other luggage in the trunk, but doable. A convertible, however, is probably a different story, one I don't have firsthand experience with, but its trunk is much smaller.
Thanks for that reassuring info arpd.
Like I said I've found all my info from this forum where I read it wouldn't fit,
Anyway thanks for your reply, but I notice you have a 2ss which would have smaller wheels than a ZL1 would it not, which would make a difference, because the 305/20 is a very big tire?
Regards, Pickles.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #4
cariboocreek

Drives: 2023 Corvette C8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Hello from Aussie.
Haven't bought a ZL1 yet, but in view of the sort of use it would have, there are a few practical issues that I need to clear up before I do.
The car would not be doing much city use, we'd mainly use it for time away, cruising in the country etc, where long distances are involved, not within easy reach of roadside service etc.
I've always made sure that previous cars I've owned have had a full sized spare wheel so that if I have a flat, I simply change the wheel, so I've been looking at the "Modern Spare" which has been mentioned on this site which I thought would solve this issue.
But I've also read here that the rear wheel & tire will not fit in the boot (trunk to you guys!), nor can it be placed on the rear seat (because there isn't enough clearance/space between the B pillar & front seat to get the wheel in there) , apparently the only place it will fit is in the front passenger seat when that seat is pushed right back. So, if there's two of us in the car, which there normally are, the carrying of the deflated rear tire & wheel would seem to be a major issue as it will not fit into the trunk.
Finally, as I've said, I've yet to own a ZL1, so I don't know a lot, so I just need to say, that all of the info that I'm talking about in this post has been gathered from this site, which an invaluable source of info for newbies like me. So I guess I'm combining what I've read here, to embrace a number of situations, in the event of a puncture.
Just wondering what you guys think about this?
Sorry to be a bit long winded, & regards from Aussie, Pickles.
Tow hook, cell phone, and credit card. Problem solved.
2019 Camaro SS Convertible
2019 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
2013 Challenger SRT 392
1995 Camaro Z28
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #5
Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Tow hook, cell phone, and credit card. Problem solved.
Thanks for your reply,...but unfortunately, not in Aussie, there are many areas in Aussie without mobile phone reception & getting a towie/tilt tray out would be nigh on impossible,....this is the reason why I'm being a bit particular about what I can & can't do relative to a spare wheel!
Thanks, Pickles.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:49 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Thanks for that reassuring info arpd.
Like I said I've found all my info from this forum where I read it wouldn't fit,
Anyway thanks for your reply, but I notice you have a 2ss which would have smaller wheels than a ZL1 would it not, which would make a difference, because the 305/20 is a very big tire?
Regards, Pickles.
It's been a while, Pickles, but you may have a point, now I remember transporting the factory set when I sold it, and the rears were 275/35/20 instead of the 305/35/20 beauties I have now...

With that said, your 305/30/20 ZL1 tires will actually be shorter (27.2") overall than stock SS rears (27.6"), because they have ~5% less sidewall, but they're also 1.2" wider, which isn't a humongous difference and they probably fit, but indeed I can't give you firsthand info for this fitment.

Let's hope someone who already tried to fit a tire+wheel combo of this exact size in the trunk will chime in.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:02 PM   #7
Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
It's been a while, Pickles, but you may have a point, now I remember transporting the factory set when I sold it, and the rears were 275/35/20 instead of the 305/35/20 beauties I have now...

With that said, your 305/30/20 ZL1 tires will actually be shorter (27.2") overall than stock SS rears (27.6"), because they have ~5% less sidewall, but they're also 1.2" wider, which isn't a humongous difference and they probably fit, but indeed I can't give you firsthand info for this fitment.

Let's hope someone who already tried to fit a tire+wheel combo of this exact size in the trunk will chime in.
Thanks arpad, for your continued interest.
It's a real worry in Aus, because of our remote areas, so I reckon a bit of enquiry now is the way to go, rather than have an unsolvable issue on the road.
I didn't even think of the rear wheel storage/tire issue until I read about it on this forum, & it was mentioned that the rear wheel would not fit in the boot, nor would it fit between the B Pillar & the front seat, to enable storing it on the rear seat!
So, in your words, yes, I hope someone else with experience/info on this issue will "chime in"!
Pickles.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:30 AM   #8
Pickles

Hello again from Aussie.
So, is there anybody here who's carried a full sized spare in their ZL1, presumably it'd have to be a rear, so that it'd fit all wheels?
Thanks, Pickles.