#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #29
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Of the big 3 5th gens Z28 ,Zl1, and SS 1Le the last to hit their sticker price again will be the Z28 , it just has a huge uphill battle and there is still a lack of interest in them.
The 5th gen Z28 would have to hit the $2 to 8 million mark to do what the 1st gens did in value, that will never happen. The 5th gen SS 1Le i think will have the best return in value , when you see any Camaro from 3rd and 4th gens going for bigger money they are usually a 1Le . So if someone has a 2013 Crystal Red 1SS 1Le and plan not to put miles on it , then that car may double or triple the sticker price decades before the Z28 . As great as the Z28 was for that short time it will always have more strikes against it then for it .
Lack of interest? Some of you guys just see things in a different way. There has always been a tremendous amount of interest in the Z/28, it's just that the sticker price was way higher than most could or want to pay. How many McClaren's do they build a year? It must be from the lack of interest right? You're confusing interest with ability to purchase.

A 5th gen 1LE is never going to command big money. They are nothing like a 3rd gen 1LE. A 3rd gen 1LE was basically a skunk-works backdoor way to get a factory racecar to the public to allow it to race. Very few people knew how to get one, that's why they are so rare. 4th gen 1LE's were hardly changed from a regular Z28. The 5th gen 1LE was a $3500 option right in the brochure. I ordered mine with a few options and it was $39k. It will never get $39k for at least 30 years. The 5th gen 1LE's problem is that the 6th Gen 1LE is vastly superior.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #30
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
There were a lot of reasons why the Z was a sales failure- ride quality, minimum of options, price point, and releasing it simultaneously with the C6Z06 all led to an epic fail. What's funny is when the 1LE came out in the Gen 3 dealers would not order/ could not give them away either due to ride quaility with only delron bushings! . The beauty and significance of the car is something like this almost never happens at GM,where engineers are given the freedom to make the track beast they want. Ostensibly they were built for racing homologation and they won back to back CTSCC championships cementing their legacy in GM's racing heritage. It was an easy sell to the brass given the LS7 was in the winter of it's life due to emissions..the general never throws parts away. If you look back half a century ago how Vince Piggens and Co were able to bamboozle the brass and make the ZL1, Al O and Mark Stileo did the same with the gen 5Z. They both were double the price of a modestly optioned camaro, and both couldn't be given away. Obviously these will never reach those valuation metrics, but IMO they will find an audience in time and the already limited production total assures that. There's probably less than a couple hundred out there that are in bubble or mint condition with hundreds of thousands of future collectors setting the market pricing. All just my .02
All GM had to do was build a Z28 off of the 1Le and sold it for $42k and we wouldn't be having this conversation . Instead they built a track car that had no secondary market and it flopped . I do agree they will eventually find their spot in the history off Camaro but right now its not a good spot . The future collectors will be going after early BMW M3s and any Honda S2000 CRs which both are a better investment today then the Z28 will ever be.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #31
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
Lol, you might want to actually research the 3rd and 4th gen 1LE's and the actual differences. Start with the magazine articles proving a few guys tried to corner the market from the beginning with hype and then seeing the cars perform the same. Some people obviously fell for it to this day. 5, 10, 15 plus years from now, the 6th gen SS 1LE will not bring the money or interest of a Z28.
The 1Le will always more sought after then any regular SS in the future simply because collectors are not going to care about an 2SS Camaro because it had a Bose stereo , they will want the best Performance SS available at the time and that is the 1Le .There is no doubt the 1Le will be a wanted car . Right now the gap between the 5th gen 1Le and the Z28 is still shrinking . The fact is there are plenty Z28s around and people are not buying them even now when you can get them $35k cheaper then sticker. What sucks is the fact that the last Z28 we may ever see was left sitting on lots unsold . I would never invest in something like that . The history of the 1Le is just now becoming more known about and that will carry into the future .
Old 03-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #32
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
The future collectors will be going after early BMW M3s and any Honda S2000 CRs which both are a better investment today then the Z28 will ever be.
You're comparing a five year old car to thirty year old one's, that have already seen huge leaps in valuation. The OP asked if Z/28's will be collectible one day, i think they are collectible today, at value pricing.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #33
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Lack of interest? Some of you guys just see things in a different way. There has always been a tremendous amount of interest in the Z/28, it's just that the sticker price was way higher than most could or want to pay. How many McClaren's do they build a year? It must be from the lack of interest right? You're confusing interest with ability to purchase.

A 5th gen 1LE is never going to command big money. They are nothing like a 3rd gen 1LE. A 3rd gen 1LE was basically a skunk-works backdoor way to get a factory racecar to the public to allow it to race. Very few people knew how to get one, that's why they are so rare. 4th gen 1LE's were hardly changed from a regular Z28. The 5th gen 1LE was a $3500 option right in the brochure. I ordered mine with a few options and it was $39k. It will never get $39k for at least 30 years. The 5th gen 1LE's problem is that the 6th Gen 1LE is vastly superior.
You can now buy a 5th gen Z28 cheaper then most new SS Camaros and they are still sitting unsold ,What is the excuse for that ? The 1Le is not much different ,both 1Les i have bought from a Chevy dealer i had to do most of the work including locating them ,they didn't know what it was . I paid less then $39K for my 2014 1Le and when i sold its i got within $3k of what i paid and that's not bad.Right now i have seen 5th gen 1le approaching $31k so you may see $39k faster then you think .I will add a link to a great little read .
http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...opment-camaro/
Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #34
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
You're comparing a five year old car to thirty year old one's, that have already seen huge leaps in valuation. The OP asked if Z/28's will be collectible one day, i think they are collectible today, at value pricing.
As they are still sitting around on lots people will disagree with their collectibility, they are too easy find . No matter what the value is today they dropped a ton from the sticker price and that plays a huge part. I highly doubt that the people in this conversation with Z28 has it tucked away , they drive them and most will find their way back into the used car market. Seems like a lot of people here are trying to defend their purchase of a Z28 and there is no reason , i would bet no one bought one to put away and not drive.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #35
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
The 1Le will always more sought after then any regular SS in the future simply because collectors are not going to care about an 2SS Camaro because it had a Bose stereo , they will want the best Performance SS available at the time and that is the 1Le .There is no doubt the 1Le will be a wanted car . Right now the gap between the 5th gen 1Le and the Z28 is still shrinking . The fact is there are plenty Z28s around and people are not buying them even now when you can get them $35k cheaper then sticker. What sucks is the fact that the last Z28 we may ever see was left sitting on lots unsold . I would never invest in something like that . The history of the 1Le is just now becoming more known about and that will carry into the future .
You must be fairly new to the hobby to think that. If you think a SS 1LE is an investment, you're going to be disappointed.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #36
1295/SS

Quote:
As they are still sitting around on lots people will disagree with their collectibility, they are too easy find . No matter what the value is today they dropped a ton from the sticker price and that plays a huge part. I highly doubt that the people in this conversation with Z28 has it tucked away , they drive them and most will find their way back into the used car market. Seems like a lot of people here are trying to defend their purchase of a Z28 and there is no reason , i would bet no one bought one to put away and not drive.
Irony.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #37
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
I’m one man, one opinion, but can’t fathom someone would think an SS 1LE from any gen is even in the collectible discussion with a 5g Z28.

SS 1LE is an outstanding value for its performance......but doesn’t belong in a collectibility/investment discussion at all. THE Z28 is incredibly unique and limited, and worthy of debating as a future collectible IMO.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #38
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
You make it sound like it's 2016 and there are hundreds of them still sitting on lots new with dry rotted tires. Just checked Autotrader and there are less than twenty for sale nationwide. Tell ya what, let's agree to disagree and re visit this in ten years and see where a gen five 1LE and Z are at valuation wise.. i'm out.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #39
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
I’m one man, one opinion, but can’t fathom someone would think an SS 1LE from any gen is even in the collectible discussion with a 5g Z28.

SS 1LE is an outstanding value for its performance......but doesn’t belong in a collectibility/investment discussion at all. THE Z28 is incredibly unique and limited, and worthy of debating as a future collectible IMO.
Take a look at the car in this link and you'll see what rare is .
Old 03-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #40
1295/SS

Quote:
Take a look at the car in this link and you'll see what rare is .
You do realize that's not how a 3rd gen 1LE came from the factory, right? That's a race prepped car. Did you know that a 3rd gen with the G92 option non 1LE IROC and Z28 performed the same as the 1LE car? Didn't matter if you got the 5.0 5 spd or the 5.7 L98. They performed the same. Research is your friend.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #41
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
You make it sound like it's 2016 and there are hundreds of them still sitting on lots new with dry rotted tires. Just checked Autotrader and there are less than twenty for sale nationwide. Tell ya what, let's agree to disagree and re visit this in ten years and see where a gen five 1LE and Z are at valuation wise.. i'm out.
Yeah i found a lot more then that including a Z28.R , but yeah it may take more then 10 years to tell us anything.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #42
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
You do realize that's not how a 3rd gen 1LE came from the factory, right? That's a race prepped car. Did you know that a 3rd gen with the G92 option non 1LE IROC and Z28 performed the same as the 1LE car? Didn't matter if you got the 5.0 5 spd or the 5.7 L98. They performed the same. Research is your friend.
Yeah i think the cut outs tell you that but it is a 1le factory built car . Do you have any idea what the car is worth , would you say more or less then 5th gen Z28 ?
Did they perform the same around tracks in competition? Don't forget why they came up with the 1Le package for in the first place . Its always been handling not 0 to 50 performance .