Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
I made the right choice in my purchase with how i use my car, but I would be lying if I said I didn't occasionally wish I had bought the Z/28. Based on the current prices, I think it will definately go up in value in the long term. Based on the original sticker, I agree with others that it has an uphill battle.

Regardless of the value it should be the most collectable of the 5th gens.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
They also have their own specifc VIN #, show me another Camaro with that.
I'm not sure that's correct. The 5th gen ZL1 had a sequential vin, but I don't think the Z/28 did as weird as that is.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #17
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
I'm not sure that's correct. The 5th gen ZL1 had a sequential vin, but I don't think the Z/28 did as weird as that is.
Meant to say Z/28, but yes they both have their own sequential VIN #
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #18
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
With attrition from accidents and being raced into the ground, the small number of Z/28s will get really small.
So if you have a clean low mile daily it will be worth quite a bit.
A beat up race car not so much.

Of those approx. 1290 2015's how many are left? Not beat up at the track or in a wrecking yard?
You are probably under 800 left.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #19
1295/SS

Drives: 87 GNX 87 Turbo T '13 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Of the big 3 5th gens Z28 ,Zl1, and SS 1Le the last to hit their sticker price again will be the Z28 , it just has a huge uphill battle and there is still a lack of interest in them.
The 5th gen Z28 would have to hit the $2 to 8 million mark to do what the 1st gens did in value, that will never happen. The 5th gen SS 1Le i think will have the best return in value , when you see any Camaro from 3rd and 4th gens going for bigger money they are usually a 1Le . So if someone has a 2013 Crystal Red 1SS 1Le and plan not to put miles on it , then that car may double or triple the sticker price decades before the Z28 . As great as the Z28 was for that short time it will always have more strikes against it then for it .
Lack of interest?? I've noticed that you continue to beat the SS 1LE drum. The 5th gen 1LE was a decent car but won't ever be more desirable or sought after as much as a 5th gen Z. Completely different class of car. The sticker price argument is irrelevant especially to those who bought at huge discount or used.
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #20
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
Lack of interest?? I've noticed that you continue to beat the SS 1LE drum. The 5th gen 1LE was a decent car but won't ever be more desirable or sought after as much as a 5th gen Z. Completely different class of car. The sticker price argument is irrelevant especially to those who bought at huge discount or used.
Huge lack of interest , many went to auction after sitting around for years untitled , then the ones returned from lease sat around till they went to auction . Now those cars are sitting with their tires dry rotting waiting for a buyer . In a few years when the miles rack up on the ones on the road now and people won't want to pay the $5k for new brakes they will be showing up in the used car market along with other Z28s that have already been bastardized ,they will be lucky to fetch $30k , while the ones sitting in a warehouse in a plastic bubble with 18 miles on them will have little interest from people looking to buy an investment car. The best bang for the buck is the 1Le package and the History behind it will only get better in years to come .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #21
1295/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
As someone that spent most of last year researching a car to buy and monitoring the market daily, I think you have it completely backwards. The 6th gen SS 1LE was on my VERY short list of cars to buy, it's a FANTASTIC car and the 6th gen chassis is much better than the 5th gen, as a starting point for racing. However, the SS 1LE doesn't differ from a standard SS enough to matter as much as the Z/28 as far as collectibility is concerned. The ZL1 1LE's will be sought after, I'm sure. But the ZL1 1LE's are in a different price range from current Z/28 prices and I believe they are made in greater numbers. And again, I'm talking about CURRENT market prices, not original MSRP.
Exactly. Bang for the buck is a non issue when talking future interest. The 4th gen 1LE gets no interest and the 3rd gen 1LE was a marketing gimmick that some still believe. Neither actually performed better than their non 1LE counterparts and the current SS 1LE performs only marginally better than the SS. The Z28 is just too hard to justify driving much but is on a different performance level than the 1LE other than ZL1 1LE.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #22
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1295/SS View Post
Exactly. Bang for the buck is a non issue when talking future interest. The 4th gen 1LE gets no interest and the 3rd gen 1LE was a marketing gimmick that some still believe. Neither actually performed better than their non 1LE counterparts and the current SS 1LE performs only marginally better than the SS. The Z28 is just too hard to justify driving much but is on a different performance level than the 1LE other than ZL1 1LE.
Try to find a 3rd or 4th gen 1Le Camaro firstly then see how much more they sell for then a Camaro without . It was no gimmick they went right into showroom class racing .The 5th gen Z28 is marginally faster then the 6th gen SS 1Le ,except at Laguna Seca where the 6th gen SS 1Le was faster then the Z28 . As far as the SS and SS 1Le goes its not close on tracks, the 1le is all about performance and it shows. The 1Le will never get the recognition as a Z28 but it will always bring a higher price then a regular SS no matter what year.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #23
LateBrakeU2

Quote:
Huge lack of interest , many went to auction after sitting around for years untitled , then the ones returned from lease sat around till they went to auction . Now those cars are sitting with their tires dry rotting waiting for a buyer . In a few years when the miles rack up on the ones on the road now and people won't want to pay the $5k for new brakes they will be showing up in the used car market along with other Z28s that have already been bastardized ,they will be lucky to fetch $30k , while the ones sitting in a warehouse in a plastic bubble with 18 miles on them will have little interest from people looking to buy an investment car. The best bang for the buck is the 1Le package and the History behind it will only get better in years to come .
Sorry but gotta disagree. i have owned an RPO 1LE Camaro in every gen, including a one of four built 88, and three gen 5's. They are great bang for buck, especially the gen 6, but they will never have the cache of Z/28 for a multitude of reasons. Would agree that thrashed high miler's will be 30k, but if you look at recent auctions the bubble examples are pulling 60k, and low mile clean one's have held very strong in the low mid forties, where they have been for the last couple three years. There are examples of spec play bubble cars that are commanding multiples of MSRP currentely, including TATA'S ,Y84 TA's, Buick GN's..last week a 9 mile GNX sold on BAT for 200k. The common theme shared by them is they were very unique low production cars than represented the top shelf of performance in their day. The 1LE is and has always been mostly a suspension RPO,with the same engine as a garden varietly Camaro. Hint, last time you could get a line built Camaro with an NA 427 Neil Armstrong was planting flags on the moon. You seem pretty jaded on the Z, most people that own Camaro's like them all.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #24
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
As someone that spent most of last year researching a car to buy and monitoring the market daily, I think you have it completely backwards. The 6th gen SS 1LE was on my VERY short list of cars to buy, it's a FANTASTIC car and the 6th gen chassis is much better than the 5th gen, as a starting point for racing. However, the SS 1LE doesn't differ from a standard SS enough to matter as much as the Z/28 as far as collectibility is concerned. The ZL1 1LE's will be sought after, I'm sure. But the ZL1 1LE's are in a different price range from current Z/28 prices and I believe they are made in greater numbers. And again, I'm talking about CURRENT market prices, not original MSRP.
It all depends on what you want ,The Z28 is a track car that is near kidney belt territory on a 6 hour road trip ,and the SS 1Le is great over the road car and really good track car . When i drove the 2105 Z28 they wanted $48k for it which was close to the SS 1Le and for me the Z28 was no way worth the money in comparison to what the 1Le had to offer ,even tho the Z28 will send chills up your spine when you start it.Even talking about current prices sooner or later someone will have to do a brake job and that will always hold the price lower , same thing happens to Mercedes with Carbon Brakes .
I been following pricing and trends of cars and parts as a hobby for many years and i'm no expert but i just don't see a great future for the 5th gen Z28 .
Old 03-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #25
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Sorry but gotta disagree. i have owned an RPO 1LE Camaro in every gen, including a one of four built 88, and three gen 5's. They are great bang for buck, especially the gen 6, but they will never have the cache of Z/28 for a multitude of reasons. Would agree that thrashed high miler's will be 30k, but if you look at recent auctions the bubble examples are pulling 60k, and low mile clean one's have held very strong in the low mid forties, where they have been for the last couple three years. There are examples of spec play bubble cars that are commanding multiples of MSRP currentely, including TATA'S ,Y84 TA's, Buick GN's..last week a 9 mile GNX sold on BAT for 200k. The common theme shared by them is they were very unique low production cars than represented the top shelf of performance in their day. The 1LE is and has always been mostly a suspension RPO,with the same engine as a garden varietly Camaro. Hint, last time you could get a line built Camaro with an NA 427 Neil Armstrong was planting flags on the moon. You seem pretty jaded on the Z, most people that own Camaro's like them all.
There are not many early 1Le Camaros that survived and the ones that did will continue to go up . I have only met one person that have owned every generation 1Le and i can say you are a very rare person, very cool.
I wasn't trying to make this a 1Le vs Z28 i'm only talking about a dollar to dollar value . The fact is that the age of the Z28 in behind us and the 5th gen as far as being rare is no where close to the one of four you had , which would bring in more money today at auction? And don't forget that the NA 427 you are talking about with the moon landing was a big block not a small block like in the 5th gen.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #26
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
No doubt, for a daily driver, I'd get a 6th gen over a Z/28 for sure and have recommended as much before on this site. For a toy car, the Z/28 offers much more IMHO than the SS 1LE. The Z is much more unique, much more rare, and will retain current value better, especially in the long run. And a street driven Z won't need those rotors changed for LONG time.
It's not all about being unique and rare ,it also has to draw a demand ,that's something the Z28 never had . Prices are still dropping which even surprises me because i thought the ones hitting lots last year were off leases and although some were most of them was people getting out of them. They will be like any other car they will drop , try to trade yours in and you'll see.
I can't believe that people wanting a track car are not buying them up , if i could have a track car i would buy one . From what i understand the brakes should go 50,000 miles at least if all goes perfect with them.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #27
LateBrakeU2

There were a lot of reasons why the Z was a sales failure- ride quality, minimum of options, price point, and releasing it simultaneously with the C6Z06 all led to an epic fail. What's funny is when the 1LE came out in the Gen 3 dealers would not order/ could not give them away either due to ride quaility with only delron bushings! . The beauty and significance of the car is something like this almost never happens at GM,where engineers are given the freedom to make the track beast they want. Ostensibly they were built for racing homologation and they won back to back CTSCC championships cementing their legacy in GM's racing heritage. It was an easy sell to the brass given the LS7 was in the winter of it's life due to emissions..the general never throws parts away. If you look back half a century ago how Vince Piggens and Co were able to bamboozle the brass and make the ZL1, Al O and Mark Stileo did the same with the gen 5Z. They both were double the price of a modestly optioned camaro, and both couldn't be given away. Obviously these will never reach those valuation metrics, but IMO they will find an audience in time and the already limited production total assures that. There's probably less than a couple hundred out there that are in bubble or mint condition with hundreds of thousands of future collectors setting the market pricing. All just my .02
Old 03-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #28
1295/SS

Quote:
Try to find a 3rd or 4th gen 1Le Camaro firstly then see how much more they sell for then a Camaro without . It was no gimmick they went right into showroom class racing .The 5th gen Z28 is marginally faster then the 6th gen SS 1Le ,except at Laguna Seca where the 6th gen SS 1Le was faster then the Z28 . As far as the SS and SS 1Le goes its not close on tracks, the 1le is all about performance and it shows. The 1Le will never get the recognition as a Z28 but it will always bring a higher price then a regular SS no matter what year.
Lol, you might want to actually research the 3rd and 4th gen 1LE's and the actual differences. Start with the magazine articles proving a few guys tried to corner the market from the beginning with hype and then seeing the cars perform the same. Some people obviously fell for it to this day. 5, 10, 15 plus years from now, the 6th gen SS 1LE will not bring the money or interest of a Z28.