Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #1
JRodSan

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Extreme Online Store LT Headers

Got a set of 1 7/8'' Long Tube Headers from the Extreme Online Store. Install was pretty straight forward and fitment is on point. I didn't have to remove any of the head valve covers or the starter shield. Video link of the process and some sound clips below for those interested.

https://youtu.be/kgLH4KSJpMI
Old 01-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #2
TexasRed5.9

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Question: Their website description says these headers are a direct bolt on to the factory system, but you had to cut your pipes and take it to an exhaust shop. Were your pipes not factory? And by the way, I really dig the wheels on your car!
Old 01-08-2022, 06:32 AM   #3
JRodSan

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRed5.9 View Post
Question: Their website description says these headers are a direct bolt on to the factory system, but you had to cut your pipes and take it to an exhaust shop. Were your pipes not factory? And by the way, I really dig the wheels on your car!
Thanks! I definitely love the wheels.

Now thinking about it, I’m not sure since my system was already modified and I had already made my mind on putting v-band clamps to make it easier to work with.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #4
AspiringAutoXer

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
CAUTION - Don't Buy - Extreme Online Store Headers

These headers DO NOT bolt to your factory exhaust system and they are difficult to install.

I purchased these headers and just had them installed at my local speed shop (full service speed shop, mechanics, dyno, etc. with lots of experience installing headers).

They seem to be well built, no complaints there, but they don't come with installation instructions. That's why their page links to the "Droppin' Gears" video. My hope was that they connected in between the primary and secondary cats - Nope!

The mechanic had to drop my control arms and remove the starter to fit them in... they took twice as much labour to slip in as a usual 1 7/8 header... and, they don't come with connection pipes and there is no clear way to connect them to your car... which means the shop had to fabricate connection pipes... more shop hours = more $$$.

I'm pleased with the power gain from them, but they cost a fortune to install and my exhaust is now far too loud without any cats. I'm now likely going to have to get high-flow cats installed to get the cold-start scream under control.

If I were to do it again, I would go with Stainless Works - Stainless Power with the high-flow cats or the Kooks.

I hope that helps.
AspiringAutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #5
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringAutoXer View Post
These headers DO NOT bolt to your factory exhaust system and they are difficult to install.

I purchased these headers and just had them installed at my local speed shop (full service speed shop, mechanics, dyno, etc. with lots of experience installing headers).

They seem to be well built, no complaints there, but they don't come with installation instructions. That's why their page links to the "Droppin' Gears" video. My hope was that they connected in between the primary and secondary cats - Nope!

The mechanic had to drop my control arms and remove the starter to fit them in... they took twice as much labour to slip in as a usual 1 7/8 header... and, they don't come with connection pipes and there is no clear way to connect them to your car... which means the shop had to fabricate connection pipes... more shop hours = more $$$.

I'm pleased with the power gain from them, but they cost a fortune to install and my exhaust is now far too loud without any cats. I'm now likely going to have to get high-flow cats installed to get the cold-start scream under control.

If I were to do it again, I would go with Stainless Works - Stainless Power with the high-flow cats or the Kooks.

I hope that helps.
is this your first car?

i think you described every header install for every car since the dawn of time. nothing new.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
AspiringAutoXer

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Just trying to be helpful

s346k,

No, this is not my first car and this isn't even my first car that I've added headers to.

I just want to be helpful to other Camaro owners so they go into these headers with their eyes open.

If all header installs are difficult and expensive, that does make me feel a little better. My first header install was butter smooth, perhaps I was lucky my first time.
AspiringAutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote