#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #1
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Camaro
spec super Twin & Flywheel

Hello everyone. I have a 2015 ZL1 with lots of little goodies, getting ready to install A Spec Super twin disk and full BMR drag kit W/ coil over, Bushings and frame stiffeners. Spec is saying in the paperwork they included that all twin disk require a clutch pedal stop installed (sold separately). Not really finding much about this anywhere online, wondering if anyone on here can shed some light on this and maybe explain a little on the whys.
ZL1_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Camaro
Update

After reading the negative reviews and hearing how my tuner pulls these out on the regular as well as advising me against buying this clutch I still went with the spec supertwin stage 2+ but bought it from Sumit Racing thinking well at least Summit will back it. First impressions appearance of the clutch looked be quality. It was finally time to get this beautiful beast installed. This clutch was sold as a performance clutch but I read that it came with factory gm bolts so like any gearhead I wanted performance fasteners as well so spent a little extra on that ARP bolts for the flywheel. All good right no problem. That was the start of the problems because in specs ultimate wisdom they choose to countersink the bolt holes making it so the ARP bolts will go in but does not leave room to get a socket on so you cannot use ARP bolts with this performance clutch kit sold to hold more than 1000 ft lbs of torque. Not a huge deal but i will mention this kit is supplied with GM flexplate bolts not flywheel bolts, flexplate bolts are a 1/4" shorter. Makes me wonder if that's because the countersink makes that point too thin for the correct hardware to be used. Second issue wasn't found until we had problems getting the transmission to mate up fully. After taking a number of measurements we were able to determine the alignment tool provided in the kit was too short to fully reach into the pilot bearing. No problem we made a longer alignment tool and the transmission slid right in place. Called spec during the install for what turned out to be an none spec related issue but learned contrary to what there website says they do not have tech support and have never heard of an alignment tool being too short. I did not mention anything about not being able to use the ARP fasteners at this time.

Clutch now installed with 300 of 500 mile into break in period. at first clutch felt surprisingly like stock but a little heavier pedal feel and yes noises lots of clutch noises ok I expected that. Sometimes a little hard getting into first and reverse but shifts throughout the gears great 👍 and mind you I've been easy on it but in fourth at less than 3000 rpm this clutch just breaks free like I pushed on the clutch pedal. If I step on it even a little it breaks free like I pushed in on the pedal. Called spec about this a few days ago and was told this will go away and get better around 400 miles of easy city driving. This time on the phone I inquired about why they countersunk the holes and explained the issue I had with that, surprise the response was we haven't heard of that before. After driving around the city another 200 miles and this ******* still slipping every chance it gets I now have no faith in spec clutch so I call Summit to be informed I must deal with spec. Well dam 😕 guess my thinking was flawed. After much thought and a few more miles with this slipping $1400 POS clutch I have decided all i can unfortunately do is see to it that spec will never have any product of theres installed on any vehicle of mine and to share my experiences with anyone who will listen. In approximately 2 weeks this spec is coming out and a Tilton St 246 clutch kit and Tick master cylinder both purchased from Tick Performance and not Summit Racing will be going in. Updates to come.
Attached Images

ZL1_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote