Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 08-24-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Are Lt1 Brembos bigger?

Trying to get a set of track pads for my 22 Lt1 camaro and it seems I can't find the right set of pads for the car. Here, these brembos are physically bigger and don't have the removable pins for quick changing pads. Bought a set of ebc yellow pads from phastek for a 16-21SS non 1le camaro and the pads are physically different and don't line up. Anyone know what pads these Lt1 cars take?

https://imgur.com/a/h9QsjBx
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep95 View Post
Trying to get a set of track pads for my 22 Lt1 camaro and it seems I can't find the right set of pads for the car. Here, these brembos are physically bigger and don't have the removable pins for quick changing pads. Bought a set of ebc yellow pads from phastek for a 16-21SS non 1le camaro and the pads are physically different and don't line up. Anyone know what pads these Lt1 cars take?

https://imgur.com/a/h9QsjBx
Same front pads as a non-1LE SS...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #3
turbojeep95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Same front pads as a non-1LE SS...
Those are the pads I just bought and they're almost an inch smaller.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep95 View Post
Those are the pads I just bought and they're almost an inch smaller.
Then they are the wrong pads, the LT1 and SS (non-1LE) have the same front 4 piston calipers... That yellow/pink pad almost looks like the SS rear pads (smaller 4 piston Brembos), your LT1 has single piston rears...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 08-24-2022, 07:33 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Then they are the wrong pads, the LT1 and SS (non-1LE) have the same front 4 piston calipers... That yellow/pink pad almost looks like the SS rear pads (smaller 4 piston Brembos), your LT1 has single piston rears...
Mmmmm, I don’t know about that. The front pads ARE different than the stock SS pads (no dusting). As well, the install hardware IS different than front caliper / pads of the SS.

OP, I haven’t seen anyone replace their brembo LT1 pads as of yet. So, I don’t have a good answer for you.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Mmmmm, I don’t know about that. The front pads ARE different than the stock SS pads (no dusting). As well, the install hardware IS different than front caliper / pads of the SS.

OP, I haven’t seen anyone replace their brembo LT1 pads as of yet. So, I don’t have a good answer for you.
From the LT1 build page standard equipment:

Quote:
BremboŽ front performance antilock brakes
Help reduce wheel lockup and maintain steering control during hard braking on most slippery surfaces
Brembo 4-piston front
May require additional optional equipment
From the SS build page standard equipment:

Quote:
SS BremboŽ front and rear performance antilock brakes
Help reduce wheel lockup and maintain steering control during hard braking on most slippery surfaces
Brembo 4-piston front and 4-piston rear fixed calipers that are stiff for even pad wear, drag reduction and enhanced modulation
When I change trims on the build page, the caliper doesn't change between LT1 and SS...

I'd find it hard to believe that they would source yet another part just for LT1's...

Old 08-24-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
Chutzpah

Quote:
From the LT1 build page standard equipment:

From the SS build page standard equipment:

When I change trims on the build page, the caliper doesn't change between LT1 and SS...

I'd find it hard to believe that they would source yet another part just for LT1's...
Why would you look at a build page to cross reference parts?

As an owner of three different Camaro’s, I can physically see some of the the design aspects are different from the SS and the Zl1. Namely, the hardware.

The LT1 front brakes are brembos, it’s possible that the parts are from the Corvette or Cadillac line up.

A cursory search backs this up…

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587671
Old 08-25-2022, 12:34 AM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Why would you look at a build page to cross reference parts?

As an owner of three different Camaro’s, I can physically see some of the the design aspects are different from the SS and the Zl1. Namely, the hardware.

The LT1 front brakes are brembos, it’s possible that the parts are from the Corvette or Cadillac line up.

A cursory search backs this up…

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587671
Who's talking about a ZL1? Aren't we talking SS Brembo front brakes to LT1 Brembo front brakes???

Old 08-25-2022, 09:02 AM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Excessive copper killed the original front Brembo's in CA and Washington state for 2021. Chevy had to make the front calipers bigger to make up for the lost "bite" due to the compound change. I guess the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet.
Read here: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ia-washington/

OP, short answer is "yes".
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #10
LTfun

Drives: 2022 LT1, 1981 320i
Could the confusion be over the copper free brakes? I think those are bigger than the copper one and I know people have issues with those. LMK what you find out. I have a feeling I will run into the same issue on my 22 LT1 w/ copper free brakes.
LTfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #11
Chutzpah

Quote:
Who's talking about a ZL1? Aren't we talking SS Brembo front brakes to LT1 Brembo front brakes???

If you’re going to give advice to guy that’s in need of solid info, you’d best know what you’re talking about first. That’s the point.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 08-25-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:03 PM   #12
turbojeep95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Excessive copper killed the original front Brembo's in CA and Washington state for 2021. Chevy had to make the front calipers bigger to make up for the lost "bite" due to the compound change. I guess the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet.
Read here: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ia-washington/

OP, short answer is "yes".

You are right sir. I had to really dig but I found a thread from last year detailing the Corvette c8 with the z51 package brakes being installed due to California restrictions. Everywhere I look they list the SS and LT1 cars as having the same pads but the brakes are definitely different. The tell tale sign of the z51 brakes are the torx bolts that hold the brakes in. Really annoying because you have to remove the whole caliper to change pads.

Thanks for the help guys. I thought I was going crazy there for about a week trying to figure out these brakes. Much appreciated!
Old 08-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #13
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
track down your RPO brake code and order the pads by the RPO code. If you want track pads call G Loc, measure the backing plate and the RPO code and they will make a set for you.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:51 PM   #14
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
I have a 2022 LT1, and the same problem as the OP. I called PowerStop, they aren't aware of the change. So I ordered what they said, and I'll take pics and send it out to them. Hopefully they update their cross ref.... and I hope it spurs them to get some pads for our 22/23 cars.

I also ordered the rear pads, but they haven't come in yet. Hope they just work, or I'll be doing the same for the rears.

Update... went and looked at the vette z51, looks about right. Did the OP get this resolved? Looks like PowerStop has a set for that application.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 10-01-2022 at 08:25 PM. Reason: more research...
fj5gtx is offline   Reply With Quote