Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
camex

Drives: Sold
Exhaust drone

I really don't like drone sound of my after market exhaust.
How to fix it? any idea?
Thanks!

Last edited by camex; 10-10-2019 at 12:26 AM.
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Only solution is to re-install the stock exhaust and install cutouts. I have tried every combo and nothing gets "rid" of the drone without keeping the stock exhaust on. My setups are below

Catted AM DP + Stock exhaust = basically stock
Catted AM DP + Muffler delete = 4/10 drone
Catless DP + Stock exhaust = pretty good, almost no drone
Catless DP + Muffler delete = absolute racket
Catless DP + MBRP axle back with J-pipe resonators = current setup and very driveable. Still very loud and a little droney when you get on the gas but almost silent under very light highway throttle.

Now, the big oval mufflers from Borla or MRT may help the drone more than I know but the drone will be present pretty much anything more than the stock exhaust.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
You need to go to a muffler shop and have them weld in the longest glass pack resonator you can fit in there. The style you want is a straight through design and not the cheapos most muffler shops sell. Bring your own. One like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...MaAuu3EALw_wcB
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
camex

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Only solution is to re-install the stock exhaust and install cutouts. I have tried every combo and nothing gets "rid" of the drone without keeping the stock exhaust on. My setups are below

Catted AM DP + Stock exhaust = basically stock
Catted AM DP + Muffler delete = 4/10 drone
Catless DP + Stock exhaust = pretty good, almost no drone
Catless DP + Muffler delete = absolute racket
Catless DP + MBRP axle back with J-pipe resonators = current setup and very driveable. Still very loud and a little droney when you get on the gas but almost silent under very light highway throttle.

Now, the big oval mufflers from Borla or MRT may help the drone more than I know but the drone will be present pretty much anything more than the stock exhaust.
Thanks!
Yeah, I want to fo back to stock but I don't have stock exhaust.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
camex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
You need to go to a muffler shop and have them weld in the longest glass pack resonator you can fit in there. The style you want is a straight through design and not the cheapos most muffler shops sell. Bring your own. One like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...MaAuu3EALw_wcB
Thanks for the link.
I'll try this.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
first I went with the borla mid pipe straight "glass pack" if you will. its some kind of mesh but so what with my stock rear. It took the high end rasp away totally. But it also erased any character notes too.

I just this week did a full replacement with the Borla S and with keeping the mid muffler making it a 'Touring' install. Its been an adjustment. I think it seems to be quieting down a bit but that could be just me. ramping up at 2500 there is a loud point you could call it drone, but its temporary until you get to cruising. at cruising its really quiet, but you still know its there. Edit: I am going to put dynamat in the trunk space at some point.

Actually the noise feedback helps with gauging shift points better.

Keep in mind, what happened to me I went for an open box resale on the rear jugs, and i found out they are crooked. The muffler guy said that the bolt ons are prone to being really off if the welder screwed up. I am going to have him re cut the it so it aligns, but it basically it erases my inital discount.

Happy with it.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
wookwook

I got some info on my Borla S Kit over the stock exhaust. Had a few minutes on my hands and made a chart. (It's what happens when my wife wants to watch road show antiques lol)

The Blue line is the new Borla S "Touring" and the Grey line is stock.

Yes you don't get more peak power Here I seemed to access more under the curve power at the ramp up. Torque starts bouncing off the peak at about 2800 vs 3050 for stock with stock muffler peaking at 3300 matching the sport muffler is there at 2900.

Also Someone might have been looking for the OEM suitcase muffler and I have one to let go if you want to talk PM me. cheap + shipping. 6 months old.

Its torque vs RPM on the horizontal.

Name:  muffler measure.PNG
Views: 810
Size:  36.8 KB
Old 10-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Interesting. That's a pretty big gap at 2700 or so. I assume that your torque limited too 350?

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camex View Post
Thanks for the link.
I'll try this.
Its my best suggestion. I worked at an exhaust shop and fabricated custom exhaust systems for about 6 yrs. Get the longest one you can fit and it WILL help a ton.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #10
camex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I got some info on my Borla S Kit over the stock exhaust. Had a few minutes on my hands and made a chart. (It's what happens when my wife wants to watch road show antiques lol)

The Blue line is the new Borla S "Touring" and the Grey line is stock.

Yes you don't get more peak power Here I seemed to access more under the curve power at the ramp up. Torque starts bouncing off the peak at about 2800 vs 3050 for stock with stock muffler peaking at 3300 matching the sport muffler is there at 2900.

Also Someone might have been looking for the OEM suitcase muffler and I have one to let go if you want to talk PM me. cheap + shipping. 6 months old.
Its torque vs RPM on the horizontal.
Attachment 1006996

Nice! How about drone sound of your Borla S?
I'm driving over 150 mile a day, so drone is really bother me.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:50 AM   #11
camex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Its my best suggestion. I worked at an exhaust shop and fabricated custom exhaust systems for about 6 yrs. Get the longest one you can fit and it WILL help a ton.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1790/overview/

Is this size good enough?
I think my I4 turbo pipe inlet diameter is 2.25"
Thanks for the help!
Old 10-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #12
wookwook

I did try to get an honest feel for the note at cruising cause im the same way with the sound quality. Being a displaced musican and so sound man i totoally get it. Heres my honest opinion. At cruise it is about the same but a touch louder in the rear with a mid muffler. The mid muffler and oem box is really quiet. I would say its more of a hum but no 'fuzz'. The sport has more defined notes. At cruise Its a little bit more present. And it definitly gets more louder during hills. At coasting down hills its barely noticable. So i am like is it a better compromise? Performance is yes. At launch it really roars, so that is where the trade off for power comes in. I am looking at adding sound matting in the trunk. I was in a busy parking garage and i was definitely very present, the loudest car there. It isnt a bad quality note for a 4 banger.. The thing is i dont know if any has made a muffler package as quiet as the oem but not as obnoxiously raspy. Ok so i imagine maybe even adding a second inline baffle 'could' be a path to total perfection.

I did a recent tune and so it seems to easily get to the new torque limit of 350. When i tried just the S sport jugs it litterally shook the interior at ramp up. So any midpipe is a huge help there.

Took the wife for a drive and punched it in second. Had to coax her off the ceiling liner. Its fun watching a unsuspecting passenger do a fish flop between shifts.

Hope that helped both questions.

grabbed a coffee-

EDIT - not to take away from whiskeys well informed post. Someone would have to try adding another inline or small boot resonators on the y pipe if you go with a aftermarket system that respects the fact you may be over 35.. I think the oem is a chamber design, i havent cut it open yet, my muffler guy said those tend to drone, there were a couple of brands the use that. You would want the straight pipe mesh design it has perforated walls and a mesh. ALSO to be aware - clearances. The stock front pipe is lower, and it has a swivel neck. After markets may just have a solid neck. MY borla pipe tucks HIGHER in the tunnel so it makes using their oval muffler a requirement. He was able to get a finger in the to the frame clearance. You will want the smallest diameter midpipe resonator possible, which is how I got started down this road in the first place.

@ Cooper, yessir. I and am happy with it so far and its a whale of a time. I plan to try and get a handle on some gen 6 tuning theory over the winter. the data points in the graphs are the logging points I exported HPT to a csv file then made an excel chart. getting the overlay i made sure to start with the same rpm @ 1500 then just copy and pasted. Ctrl-c and ctl-v, its not on the menu. It keeps me out of trouble. I'd like to figure out what the first pull back is bout.

Last edited by wookwook; 10-13-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
camex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I did try to get an honest feel for the note at cruising cause im the same way with the sound quality. Being a displaced musican and so sound man i totoally get it. Heres my honest opinion. At cruise it is about the same but a touch louder in the rear with a mid muffler. The mid muffler and oem box is really quiet. I would say its more of a hum but no 'fuzz'. The sport has more defined notes. At cruise Its a little bit more present. And it definitly gets more louder during hills. At coasting down hills its barely noticable. So i am like is it a better compromise? Performance is yes. At launch it really roars, so that is where the trade off for power comes in. I am looking at adding sound matting in the trunk. I was in a busy parking garage and i was definitely very present, the loudest car there. It isnt a bad quality note for a 4 banger.. The thing is i dont know if any has made a muffler package as quiet as the oem but not as obnoxiously raspy. Ok so i imagine maybe even adding a second inline baffle 'could' be a path to total perfection.

I did a recent tune and so it seems to easily get to the new torque limit of 350. When i tried just the S sport jugs it litterally shook the interior at ramp up. So any midpipe is a huge help there.

Took the wife for a drive and punched it in second. Had to coax her off the ceiling liner. Its fun watching a unsuspecting passenger do a fish flop between shifts.

Hope that helped both questions.

grabbed a coffee-

EDIT - not to take away from whiskeys well informed post. Someone would have to try adding another inline or small boot resonators on the y pipe if you go with a aftermarket system that respects the fact you may be over 35.. I think the oem is a chamber design, i havent cut it open yet, my muffler guy said those tend to drone, there were a couple of brands the use that. You would want the straight pipe mesh design it has perforated walls and a mesh. ALSO to be aware - clearances. The stock front pipe is lower, and it has a swivel neck. After markets may just have a solid neck. MY borla pipe tucks HIGHER in the tunnel so it makes using their oval muffler a requirement. He was able to get a finger in the to the frame clearance. You will want the smallest diameter midpipe resonator possible, which is how I got started down this road in the first place.

@ Cooper, yessir. I and am happy with it so far and its a whale of a time. I plan to try and get a handle on some gen 6 tuning theory over the winter. the data points in the graphs are the logging points I exported HPT to a csv file then made an excel chart. getting the overlay i made sure to start with the same rpm @ 1500 then just copy and pasted. Ctrl-c and ctl-v, its not on the menu. It keeps me out of trouble. I'd like to figure out what the first pull back is bout.

Thanks for the details.
I watched Borla S exhaust sound on YouTube, it was great!