Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
Freedurt

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Any guys here plug their own tires?

What are your personal thoughts on plugging your own tires? Some guys especially old timers swear its all you need and everything else nowadays is paranoia and overkill, other guys make it seem like it’s a ticking time bomb.

Curious on what everyone’s opinion is and tips from guys that plug their own.

Tail lights: GM Dark finish tail lamps
Side Markers: Diode Dynamics LED Sidemarkers tinted
3rd Brake Light: GM ZL1/1LE Dark 3rd brake light
Rear Reflectors: Hero smoked rear reflectors

Debadged sides, rear, black front SS Badge, black bowties, paint corrected, ceramic coated with CQuartz UK 3.0
Freedurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I'll get them plugged at Discount Tire.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I have plugged tires (only in the tread area, never near the sidewall) probably about a dozen times over the past 35 years. Never had a plug fail before the tires needed replacement.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I would never plug one of these tires, I would however used a T patch from the inside.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
Plugs are fine for daily drivers but I wouldn't use them for track tires.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I have plugged tires (only in the tread area, never near the sidewall) probably about a dozen times over the past 35 years. Never had a plug fail before the tires needed replacement.
Same here. $10 auto parts store plug kit has worked fine for me to repair nail and screw holes over a few decades.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
For the 20-25 to have it patched I find no reason to go with a plug. But having been stuck in a bad situation with a flat on the side of the road I'd plug one to get going again. But it's true, tires have been plugged for decades without issue. I wouldn't take a plugged Z rated tire on the track which seems like a common point people agree on.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #8
longhairchris

Drives: 16 Camaro SS A8, 96 Camaro Z28 M6
I have plugged many tires including motorcycle, small car and full size SUV. Never a problem, ran one plug to about 20K. The things are amazing.
longhairchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I got a screw near the side (outside tread) of my GY RunFlats when the car only had about 2000 miles on it. I plugged it and have had no issues for 3 years and 7K more miles. I do not track the car though. I also don't do much hwy driving so I am not really concerned if the plug fails. Now I am almost due new tires so it has worked out well for me.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
Never had a problem with Safety Seal plugs. Actually, I just used it on my truck's fuel off road tires last month, and no leaks whatsoever.

If the puncture is too near the sidewall, plug and patch are not an option of course.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I have plugged tires before in pinch.. but i do get them plug/patched shortly after for proper protection & seal. Need to protect belts from corrosion and that requires proper patch / plug combination.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Same here. $10 auto parts store plug kit has worked fine for me to repair nail and screw holes over a few decades.
Me too.

Once plugged ,I've had them taken off the rim, the plug removed and one of those T patch (?) guys glued to the inside.

Had a big screw in a tire on a Friday night jusy outside of Glacier Park. NO where to get a tire repair. Plugged it, ON the vehicle. Aired it up with a small compressor I carry and it held fine.

Rural America doesn't have a tire shop every few miles, one has to adapt and overcome out here.

I've even plugged motorcycle tires in a dire emergency. Once plugged a sidewall hole on my BMW R1200GS that had to be replugged every 30 or 40 miles at 35-45 mph. Finally got to a small town in no where Nevada and had them put a patch on. Allowed me to ride back to SLC and a Dealer.

IMHO a plug kit and a small compressor are pretty handy.

Though....I bought a spare for mine. Takes up trunk space but thats OK.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:30 AM   #13
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
the right rear on my 1LE has 2 plugs in it. at this point, i’d guess they are 2/32 or less. i did 2 nuclear burnouts at the dragstrip and raced with no issues. as long as it’s not near the sidewall, a tire plug will last the life of the tire. i worked at a tire shop for 2 years and i’ve plugged my own tires for almost 20 years. never had an issue.

hell i put a plug in a tire on my 99 ta. much abuse and miles later, i gave the tires to someone else who wore them down to nothing. same on my jeep. put 51k miles on a set of goodyears and gave them away. they are still on another jeep holding just fine. i installed that plug not 2 weeks into tire ownership.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
Gadsden

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I believe in plugs and have done dozens myself, but i did have one fail once over an extended period. I plugged a GY Long Trail on a brand new Tacoma, literally in it's first couple thousand miles. A few years later my wife bumped into a curb in a parking lot with a little extra force and it popped out. I plugged it again and kept rolling, chalking it up to weird circumstances and the tires aging and drying out differently than the plug material.
Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote