Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
The word I get is central Ohio has no emissions inspection or "sniffer" check, but its a big state with some big cities so it is still buyer beware, but they likely won't be looking under your car if you don't have a check engine light and your ECM has all the "readiness" boxes checked (something a good tuner should automatically do).

My friend in Columbus has not heard of this E-check, so it must be something local to you. I'm betting they will just scan your electronics and move on unless the car is drawing alot of attention to itself.
AFAIK you are incorrect it is a Federal Law that no piece of software can ever disable a readiness monitor. I can program the ECM not to look at it and the check engine light will NOT come on. But a scan of the ODBII port will show "cats not ready" all of them. Once again it is a Federal crime, not a state issue at all.

This is from my DMV:
"Can I get a waiver for readiness?
No, there are no waivers for readiness as per EPA guidelines."

I'm sure GM's software tool can do anything.... but you ain't getting a hold of that are you?

So sure when I was in west texas 22 years ago they did a visual of your "check engine" light (piece of black tape fixed that). and you were good to go. For the last 21 years I've been in Austin and it is plug intoODBII port check smog monitors. So please somebody do a cut and paste of HP tuner or whatever and show me the box that says Set all smog monitors to ready... and I'll be sure to file a report with the EPA on Tuesday....

I lived in CA for a year, and they, of course, sniffer check, visually check, and look for CARB exemptions. Heck, they even have road side checkers, probably crawrl in your bedroom at night to make sure you are doing everything copasetic. I've heard Houston has gone to sniffer. It will be only a matter of time before Austin goes to sniffer cause all the people from CA moved here (after destroying their own state). Can't have any Texas get out of safetycheck in 10 minutes and 18 bucks, nope goonna do a tread mill sniffer and that is by appointment next month tuesday for $200, better hope you don't fail or the brown shirts come in to ask questions...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 08-31-2019 at 12:28 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #16
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
I’m very interested in long tube headers. However E-Check makes me nervous. In my part of Ohio cops will never know or check or even care but that damn check every other year has me nervous. Anyone well versed in this subject? I understand the stock cats will need to be replace which means relocated from stock location.
I went with high flow cats on my Kooks, but even they can set a "low efficiency" monitor. On my other ride I went with a full metalic cat down pipe and it work well for a wile, finnaly on a cold monrining it did set the "low cat efficiency" light. This was a ULEV 2 ride. Of course ready monitors turn off after a few drive cycles showing the smog part is "working". I think you will be fine with regular high flow cats. and it was easy to install, you do remove all 4 factory cats. CA guys and maybe Houston would need the "green cats" just to be sure. Gut feeling my cam would fail my car in Houston even with "green cats".
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #17
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Oldman as usual your posts have left me scratching my head. Are you for this mod in Ohio or against it?

I think you're saying with this install "you will be fine with regular high flow cats. and it was easy to install, you do remove all 4 factory cats."

And if I was mistaken about a tuner's ability to reset "readiness" boxes, I do plead ignorance as this was an assumption I had made based on previous experience and I've never claimed to be a tuner myself (just wish I had the time and ability- but alas I too am an oldman without your acumen).

And P.S. I don't know what AFAIK means. Can you illuminate? Course I guess I could Google it.

Last edited by Ventmaster; 08-31-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #18
oldman

as far as I know....
I think you will be fine on an a non-sniffer smog check as long as you have working cats.

Yes when you put in LT (with or without cats) all 4 factory cats will be removed.

It is possible with some welding skills to reuse the back two cats and weld in bungs for the rear 02 behind the factory back two cats. But that may be for another thread.

Software can turn off check engine lights, this in general resets smog read monitors to "not ready".... then you have to drive the car a bit to get the monitors to become ready. EPA law prevents anything that I know outside of the dealer and / or GM to be able to reset a ready monitor.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
Ventmaster

Thank you sir!
Old 09-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #20
77Z28

Drives: 2016 2SS A8, NPP, Mag ride
I have never heard of E-Check in Ohio before reading this post. I did a quick search and there are only 7 counties around Cleveland where it is required. Glad I live in one of the other 81 other counties. http://www.ohioecheck.info/Home/Index
77Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
oldman

The new RapidScreen vans travel throughout Northeast Ohio and can scan your car as you drive by to diagnose your exhaust system. If your vehicle is really clean and has passed RapidScreen's emissions qualifications, you'll receive a notification in the mail. This is available for about 5% of vehicles that are really clean. For the few vehicles that pass this, they will not be required to go to an emissions testing facility.'

You can bet that if your car fails you will get a nasty gram..... Welcome to California.

For Texas and I don't think it is a county thing, you can report ANY car to the DMV for "smog" vilolation... I used to own and race diesels... ask me how I know.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #22
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Z28 View Post
I have never heard of E-Check in Ohio before reading this post. I did a quick search and there are only 7 counties around Cleveland where it is required. Glad I live in one of the other 81 other counties. http://www.ohioecheck.info/Home/Index
That’s interesting. I just always assumed it was the whole state. Yeah so basically it’s NE Ohio. I’m unfortunately one of the 8
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The new RapidScreen vans travel throughout Northeast Ohio and can scan your car as you drive by to diagnose your exhaust system. If your vehicle is really clean and has passed RapidScreen's emissions qualifications, you'll receive a notification in the mail. This is available for about 5% of vehicles that are really clean. For the few vehicles that pass this, they will not be required to go to an emissions testing facility.'

You can bet that if your car fails you will get a nasty gram..... Welcome to California.

For Texas and I don't think it is a county thing, you can report ANY car to the DMV for "smog" vilolation... I used to own and race diesels... ask me how I know.

I can’t believe our tax money pays for this tree hugger shit.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #24
HouseStark

Quote:
The word I get is central Ohio has no emissions inspection or "sniffer" check, but its a big state with some big cities so it is still buyer beware, but they likely won't be looking under your car if you don't have a check engine light and your ECM has all the "readiness" boxes checked (something a good tuner should automatically do).

My friend in Columbus has not heard of this E-check, so it must be something local to you. I'm betting they will just scan your electronics and move on unless the car is drawing alot of attention to itself.
Thanks for looking into it. I had no idea this was only performed in only 8 counties in Ohio
Old 09-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #25
HouseStark

Looks like it’s OBD-II only. Would I pass?
Old 09-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #26
Ventmaster

If it is OBD-II only, according to Oldman, even though the tuner can tell the ECM to ignore it and not create a CEL, if they plug into your OBD-II port it will tell them "cats not ready" - all four of them!

Our exhaust system is one piece. Keep it and if you get into an "issue", bolt it back up and take it back to the emission station. They give you a reasonable amount of time to remedy problems with inspections.

It may be helpful to get longtubes with O2 sensor bungs included for visual inspection that might prevent an actual OBD plug-in.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #27
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
If it is OBD-II only, according to Oldman, even though the tuner can tell the ECM to ignore it and not create a CEL, if they plug into your OBD-II port it will tell them "cats not ready" - all four of them!

Our exhaust system is one piece. Keep it and if you get into an "issue", bolt it back up and take it back to the emission station. They give you a reasonable amount of time to remedy problems with inspections.

It may be helpful to get longtubes with O2 sensor bungs included for visual inspection that might prevent an actual OBD plug-in.
The rear cats are not monitored... the ECM has no idea if they are there or not. And they play no role in the system readiness.

As long as the rest of your emissions system reports as “ready”, you can set your O2 sensors to “report no errors” and still pass, since you’re allowed one “not ready”.

You definitely want your long tubes with O2 sensor ports regardless.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #28
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
The rear cats are not monitored... the ECM has no idea if they are there or not. And they play no role in the system readiness.

As long as the rest of your emissions system reports as “ready”, you can set your O2 sensors to “report no errors” and still pass, since you’re allowed one “not ready”.

You definitely want your long tubes with O2 sensor ports regardless.
There is more than one ready monitor associated with CATS and O2s. I highly doubt that a catless car can pass the minimum ready monitor test.... Not to mention some states allow no frails and some states only allow one fail in a specific area like EVAP.

I should also mention again, this is a Federal Law... you are addressing local enforcement, that does it NOT make it legal at all. Just that you pass whatever enforcement at your local. As an example, you drive your recently inspected ride to CA, and they impound your car at the local curb side sniffer test... bummer cause it is a Federal Law that you can't tamper with the cats for ANY REASON........

The rear cats are not monitored... correct.

Last edited by oldman; 09-01-2019 at 08:30 PM.