#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
A10 hold left paddle 3 sec drop to lowest gear-WORKS Every Time

Okay so this one evaded me til now. Holding the left paddle or the shifter to down shift position for 3 seconds will automatically drop to the lowest possible gear.

Great feature that the magazines said didn't work all the time and the same was true when I first tried it. It seemed to work once in a while, but not all the time.

I'm sure it's been mentioned here because KLR ZL1 said he saw it and gave me the info to try, but I figured it was important enough for a thread. This is an awesome feature and really glad to find out it works EVERY TIME if you do it right.

Accelerator position must be 0% before it will work. 1st tap either paddle to get into manual mode and then hold the left paddle for 3 sec with no throttle and it will drop every time. You can even be holding the paddle down and ready to go so as soon as you let off the throttle it will drop. Great for roll racing and soon as it drops jump on the throttle again. Works very fast so pretty very about this one.

Of course the shifter is the other way and maybe even best to keep it in manual while cruising. Then pull back and hold the shifter 3 sec and release throttle and hold on. Goes all the way to 3rd gear at 70 mph
Old 05-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
This works on my A8 SS. Been using it since I got it last year. Didn't realize there were outlets saying this didn't work.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Thanks amigo!! I gotta get out & try this...awesome 411!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
This works on my A8 SS. Been using it since I got it last year. Didn't realize there were outlets saying this didn't work.
Yeah, I hadn't heard anyone getting it to work consistently, and the Magazine reviews reported this which I initially thought was BS until I experienced the same newbie mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Thanks amigo!! I gotta get out try this...awesome 411!!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Okay so this one evaded me til now. Holding the left paddle or the shifter to down shift position for 3 seconds will automatically drop to the lowest possible gear.

Great feature that the magazines said didn't work all the time and the same was true when I first tried it. It seemed to work once in a while, but not all the time.

I'm sure it's been mentioned here because KLR ZL1 said he saw it and gave me the info to try, but I figured it was important enough for a thread. This is an awesome feature and really glad to find out it works EVERY TIME if you do it right.

Accelerator position must be 0% before it will work. 1st tap either paddle to get into manual mode and then hold the left paddle for 3 sec with no throttle and it will drop every time. You can even be holding the paddle down and ready to go so as soon as you let off the throttle it will drop. Great for roll racing and soon as it drops jump on the throttle again. Works very fast so pretty very about this one.

Of course the shifter is the other way and maybe even best to keep it in manual while cruising. Then pull back and hold the shifter 3 sec and release throttle and hold on. Goes all the way to 3rd gear at 70 mph
Awesome MLee, I'm glade that I could help. It pays to be on this great and informative forrum and i can't wait to try this out. In 1000 miles of course.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Yeah, I hadn't heard anyone getting it to work consistently, and the Magazine reviews reported this which I initially thought was BS until I experienced the same newbie mistake.

Huh... Weird.

Now you have me curious on my Z. I'll have to pay attention to it next time i go to ask for that from it. I don't remember it not. But maybe I'm mixing it and the SS.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:

Thanks for posting! Yeah, I still haven't gotten it to work consistently. I'll have to retry now.

I guess I kinda gave up on it, because I found another way. I think my method may be even faster and easier. I've not tried the various drive modes, to know if it works in any mode, but I know for sure it works in Sport. Simply, very quickly tap the gas peddle to the floor and it will drop to the lowest gear and hold it, but won't accelerate, since you're not holding the peddle down. As long as you accelerate within 7 seconds, it won't upshift. If it happens to upshift before you go, simply tap it to the floor again. If you want to make sure it doesn't upshift, you can always pull the shifter to manual, then push it back to auto when you go, if you want the car to shift for you.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Now once you do this, I'm assuming you're in Manual mode so be ready to click the paddle come 6200 RPM? How's the paddle response in these A10s from an owners perspective? I remember trying to use paddles on the Z06 and the CTS-V and the paddle response is slow the point that you had to click the paddle at like 5500 RPM in 1st/2nd to make sure you didn't bang off the limiter...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Now once you do this, I'm assuming you're in Manual mode so be ready to click the paddle come 6200 RPM? How's the paddle response in these A10s from an owners perspective? I remember trying to use paddles on the Z06 and the CTS-V and the paddle response is slow the point that you had to click the paddle at like 5500 RPM in 1st/2nd to make sure you didn't bang off the limiter...
If you just use the paddles to downshift, then yes. You need to be ready to upshift with the paddles. If you move the shifter to manual first, then downshift, you can simply push the shifter back to auto after you nail the gas. Paddle response is nearly instant on the A10, so you can easily use the paddles if you want.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Or just pull back on the shifter and hold it
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #11
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:

Good info to know thanks...I remember trying it during my break in period one time (almost done with the break in) and it most certainty works. It makes sense that you have to take your foot off the gas when attempting to use the paddles and hold for 3 seconds before it drops to the lowest gear. I can see this feature coming in handy when you see a Hellcat in your rear view mirror...ha ha!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Thanks for posting! Yeah, I still haven't gotten it to work consistently. I'll have to retry now.

I guess I kinda gave up on it, because I found another way. I think my method may be even faster and easier. I've not tried the various drive modes, to know if it works in any mode, but I know for sure it works in Sport. Simply, very quickly tap the gas peddle to the floor and it will drop to the lowest gear and hold it, but won't accelerate, since you're not holding the peddle down. As long as you accelerate within 7 seconds, it won't upshift. If it happens to upshift before you go, simply tap it to the floor again. If you want to make sure it doesn't upshift, you can always pull the shifter to manual, then push it back to auto when you go, if you want the car to shift for you.
It was driving me crazy too as I knew it would work sometimes. Now I just tap two times real quick and hold the second one.

Definitely going to try your method too. That sounds perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ZL1 View Post
Good info to know thanks...I remember trying it during my break in period one time (almost done with the break in) and it most certainty works. It makes sense that you have to take your foot off the gas when attempting to use the paddles and hold for 3 seconds before it drops to the lowest gear. I can see this feature coming in handy when you see a Hellcat in your rear view mirror...ha ha!
Definitely makes sense now. Just needed to figure out how to keep it consistent.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
These paddles or shifter are pretty instant. Also the rev limiter is higher so I wouldn't shift anywhere before 6,500.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Click down one gear then and then click again and hold, never had a problem with not working, not a Z, but just my experience.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote