Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #29
Gator Brah

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
AFM does have a history of what you described, plus past oil burn issues. Its ONLY there because of federally mandated MPG numbers otherwise GM wouldnt add the cost and complexity otherwise.

I just had my SS custom tuned and AFM was turned off (even though I didnt ask for it). I do notice its missing that very subtle shake when it prior went into 4 cyl. mode. So for now Im "married" to a disabled AFM.

Boils down to possible future mechanical issues vs spending less at the pump. I was pro for keeping it, but talking with a couple of GM service managers recently and Ford techs who are gear heads (I know its a GM technology), they seem to think the cons outweigh the pros.

I can imagine its super annoying on a 6cyl Camaro, although I dont have any first hand knowledge. Still think its a waste to spend $200 on an item specific device instead of spending $200 more for a tuner and a super set of controllable features. If you dont like flashing the ECU, then range is your only safe option.
Do all the handheld tuners have the option to disable afm or would it require something like HP tuners?
Gator Brah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afm, transmission