Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
The Knight Rider

Drives: Honda Accord v6 Touring
Can I keep a 1le for a long time?

I am seriously looking at buying a 2018 1ss 1le before they are not available, as I hate the front end of the 2019’s. I have never had a performance car, especially a rwd v8. Are camaros cars that people typically keep for a long time? 10 years +. I like to own and keep my cars as long as possible. I ask this since with german cars a lot of people lease them for 3 years and get rid of them before the warrenty is up due to the expensive repairs. Is the camaro this type of car? Should I think twice with a long term commitment with a camaro? Sorry if the question is dumb as I have never owned a car like this and I am not sure what to expect.
The Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I think the only concern would be the tech features failing over time as the drivetrain should last many years if taken car of, and repairs will be a fraction of the cost of a German car.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Will this also be a daily driver ,and do you plan to track the car? For me, i dont feel the 1LE SS or 1LE ZL1 for that matter would make a good long term daily driver. Do yourself a favor and drive the standard SS in all of its mode and the 1LE to make sure you can live with that harsher ride for ten years.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
LS3 Machine

Drives: 2017 Colorado ZR2, 2018 ZL1
I kept my 2011 SS for about 90K miles, it was awesome, and still great when I sold it recently.
LS3 Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Honeybadger1le

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Will this also be a daily driver ,and do you plan to track the car? For me, i dont feel the 1LE SS or 1LE ZL1 for that matter would make a good long term daily driver. Do yourself a favor and drive the standard SS in all of its mode and the 1LE to make sure you can live with that harsher ride for ten years.
I had a 2017 2SS non mag ride car that I traded for a 2018 1SS 1LE. In tour mode the 1LE rides nicer than the 2SS did hands down. The run flat tires made for a louder harsher ride that felt akin to the 1LE in sport mode. The only thing I miss from the 2SS is the Bose stereo that sounded great. The seats looked awesome but caused a lot of aches on drives that lasted longer than 30-40 minutes, I haven’t had that problem with the Recaro seats. Long term cost wise I know that I pay lower insurance and state registration fees on the 1LE due to its lower sticker price.
Honeybadger1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
To me it makes no sense to get a 1LE for a dd.

I agree with what was said about the electronics. That was my only concern going in.
Lately my tach needle has been acting erratic. Jumping up and down once in a while. Also couple days ago I shut the car off and opened the door but the radio didn't turn off. Even after I closed the door and locked it. I had to restart the car and shut it down again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger1le View Post
I had a 2017 2SS non mag ride car that I traded for a 2018 1SS 1LE. In tour mode the 1LE rides nicer than the 2SS did hands down. The run flat tires made for a louder harsher ride that felt akin to the 1LE in sport mode. The only thing I miss from the 2SS is the Bose stereo that sounded great. The seats looked awesome but caused a lot of aches on drives that lasted longer than 30-40 minutes, I haven’t had that problem with the Recaro seats. Long term cost wise I know that I pay lower insurance and state registration fees on the 1LE due to its lower sticker price.
You live with it every day, so I would trust your opion more than mine as I only drove one twice. I felt it was a rougher ride. Not bad. Just rougher. That's why I suggested driving both. I like the looks of the 1LE SS the best though. It would be hard to pass up for that alone. As far as it lasting ten years or more, I see no reason why it wouldnt. There are many people still enjoying their 5th gen Camaros.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
To me it makes no sense to get a 1LE for a dd.

I agree with what was said about the electronics. That was my only concern going in.
Lately my tach needle has been acting erratic. Jumping up and down once in a while. Also couple days ago I shut the car off and opened the door but the radio didn't turn off. Even after I closed the door and locked it. I had to restart the car and shut it down again.

Out of curiousity, why? Tire cost comes to mind, but base SS wheels would remove that concern.

Ignoring the issues with your electronics anyways

I don't DD mine currently, but plan to go down to only a few street cars soon and once I do the 1LE will likely be my DD at least half the time.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Mainly the ride. The 1LE is a little stiffer. Since I'm not gonna track it I prefer everything you get with the 2SS. Plus I hate ultrasuede.

srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Mainly the ride. The 1LE is a little stiffer. Since I'm not gonna track it I prefer everything you get with the 2SS. Plus I hate ultrasuede.

Gotcha. The 1LE is softer than most off my cars so it's a luxury ride in my opinion haha

I do have a 2SS 1LE and def enjoy the 2SS comforts (mainly the heated/cooled seats being enabled)
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
I fully intend to once I get one.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
Walt88

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
My previous vehicle was a 2000 Z/28 Camaro. I was 3rd owner but it was a daily driver for the previous two and I daily drove it for yeaaaars up until 2017 when I got my new SS. I'd like to think the new ones are even better built, so I'd wager that properly maintained it should last you a long time.
Walt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
My only concerns are the paint, wiring/electronics, and the cooling system.

The new water based paint is horrible, it will never last as long as the previous formulas.
Wiring has been mandated to be biodegradable, and evidence of early wiring system failures have reared it's ugly head in other manufactures. And solder is no longer what it was, see many circuit failures involving solder. Probably from not using quality lead anymore.

The cooling system in the Camaro is not exactly simple with all the coolers and aux radiators, the hoses and fittings are a maze of tubes and "T" fittings, most plastic fittings. The plastic fittings in the automotive industry have a bad reputation of turning to powder after so much time. They will leak and fail, crack and split. They will not leak and look perfectly fine until you touch them, then come completely apart.

I would love to run a lower temp thermo and more aggressive fan programming to keep temps down and prolong the system components, but it seems the LT1 ECU has seizures and freaks out. Time will tell if tuning can deal with the LT1 programming and make this engine as reliable as the LS1, LS2, and LS3. All phenomenal engines.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Camaro Wolf

Drives: 2018 Bright yellow Camaro 2ss
Don't be hating on that front end
2018 Bright Yellow 2SS with grille insert and carbon fiber spoiler and insignia package black fender hash marks and other tuning parts/2017 Red Hot Corvette GS ZO7/2018 800+HP Summit White Camaro ZL1 1LE.
Camaro Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote