#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #29
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Knight View Post
Don't own a ZL1 yet but did own an M3 competition package with standard alcantara steering wheel, drove it as a daily for 5 years and liked it a lot. Never had any grip issues or anything, looked great too til it started to wear off. Surprised how many people dislike it.
I can understand why people wouldn't like alcantara. You have to wash your hands before touching the wheel unless you don't mind it getting filthy. If it's warm outside, the sweat from your skin can transfer onto the wheel. If you wash the car, you should dry your hands (and body) before sitting back in the seat and grabbing the wheel and shift knob.

It can be a bit much when leather is pretty much zero maintenance and doesn't wear faster than a set of brake pads.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #30
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
I can understand why people wouldn't like alcantara. You have to wash your hands before touching the wheel unless you don't mind it getting filthy. If it's warm outside, the sweat from your skin can transfer onto the wheel. If you wash the car, you should dry your hands (and body) before sitting back in the seat and grabbing the wheel and shift knob.

It can be a bit much when leather is pretty much zero maintenance and doesn't wear faster than a set of brake pads.
these are my reasons. Ive had several cars with it. It gets very nasty looking after awhile. I will say though that I dont wear cloves.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #31
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Just like anything on your car, alcantara will continue to look like new if you maintain it. The alcantara was one of many features that sold me on the 1LE; the leather looks cheap and is slippery - especially on a seat, where you’ll have to use arm strength to keep yourself from sliding (instead of devoting that energy to steering), unless you have competition belts. The next time you watch a race on TV, check how many cars have leather vs. alcantara steering wheels; for performance driving and looks, alcantara wins - hands down. (Pun intended.)
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #32
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Just like anything on your car, alcantara will continue to look like new if you maintain it. The alcantara was one of many features that sold me on the 1LE; the leather looks cheap and is slippery - especially on a seat, where you’ll have to use arm strength to keep yourself from sliding (instead of devoting that energy to steering), unless you have competition belts. The next time you watch a race on TV, check how many cars have leather vs. alcantara steering wheels; for performance driving and looks, alcantara wins - hands down. (Pun intended.)
Grabbing the same wheel we have, just in a Corvette, the leather looks fake and feels hard. The suede feels much nicer and I'm not worried about it staying nice as my entire interior was given a coating when they ceramic coated the exterior. As far as the suede being slippery, mine has never felt that way.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #33
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I wouldn't mind the alcantara on the console lid or door arm rest.
The "leather" the factory has on there now got a little sweaty and annoying in hot traffic the other day, while the wheel and shifter stayed fuzzy and dry.

I don't hate the fake suede.