Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Wore through clear coat on wheel

Had some gosh-awful white, splotchy hard water stains on my painted black wheels, so I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a foam buffing wheel to clean them up. Worked great for the most part, but in getting the most stubborn spots off, I believe I wore right through the clear coat in some spots. GRRR. In this photo, you can see the clear/no clear break line along the edge.

What to do? My vote, for now, is nothing. Oddly, since the paint is kind of matte to begin with, there's not much difference visually between where there's clear and where there isn't. Amazing how thin that clear is, though. Really surprised to have worn through it that easily.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do about it? I'm hesitant to try spraying the area with rattle-can clear, as I have a feeling the sheen wouldn't match the other wheels (or the rest of this same wheel).
Attached Images

Last edited by GM Lifer; 11-23-2018 at 01:44 PM.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
GM Lifer

Interesting. Tried putting some wax on the wheel, and that made it look better. Not perfect, but better.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I'd be pretty surprised if it wore thru the clear coat if you were not using a rotary polisher. I don't think foam and compound can wear thru clear. Maybe its something else? i can't tell from the pic.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
The paint GM used on the black wheels is trash. My paint is thinning out on the sides of the spokes. I’m getting them powder coated this winter. They should not be wearing away after 2 years.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I'd be pretty surprised if it wore thru the clear coat if you were not using a rotary polisher. I don't think foam and compound can wear thru clear. Maybe its something else? i can't tell from the pic.
It's a small rotary wheel attached to a drill. It was designed to polish headlights, but it's good for other things, like buffing in tight places. I didn't buff at a super-high drill speed, but I did wear through SOMEthing. Hard to get a good pic. It's like there are two ever-so-slightly different sheens now.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
The paint GM used on the black wheels is trash. My paint is thinning out on the sides of the spokes. I’m getting them powder coated this winter. They should not be wearing away after 2 years.
I'm wondering if that's what was actually happening to my wheels. Maybe it wasn't water spots. Hard to say. It LOOKED like white, milky water spots, but buffing aggressively enough to get rid of them also took off the clear, I think. I may go your route at some point and powder coat (or repaint). Wonder what that'll cost?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
GM Lifer

Quote:
i can't tell from the pic.
Edited the photo so you can see the line between clear/no clear.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
OK just re-read the post. You used compound. Have you followed the compound with polish? Try some Ultimate Polish and see if it shines back up.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I don't think the SS black wheels are cleared for the fact that they come semi-satin finish, I did all four wheels with a 3 inch foam polishing pas on my ported cable and they came out looking great, I used scholls S20 Black and broke out the reload to seal them up, I may take them in to get powder coated then cleared later on.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
GM Lifer

Quote:
OK just re-read the post. You used compound. Have you followed the compound with polish? Try some Ultimate Polish and see if it shines back up.
Great minds think alike. Yup, I did go back and hand-apply some Ultimate Polish, followed by wax. Masked it pretty well. Not perfect, but better.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Just thinking out loud here, but isn’t going for compound a big jump for a water stain? Would a clay bar have taken that off? Guess I just try to avoid compound unless absolutely necessary.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but isn’t going for compound a big jump for a water stain? Would a clay bar have taken that off? Guess I just try to avoid compound unless absolutely necessary.
The Meguiar's product isn't really that aggressive. Hence my surprise at wearing through.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren3537 View Post
I don't think the SS black wheels are cleared for the fact that they come semi-satin finish.
I believe they do have a clear coat. GM replace my satin black wheels because the clearcoat was peeling off because I used a pretty harsh wheel cleaner on them. The dealership made me promise to use car soap and no wheel cleaner products. That was a year and a half ago and they have been holding up very well.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
I believe they do have a clear coat. GM replace my satin black wheels because the clearcoat was peeling off because I used a pretty harsh wheel cleaner on them. The dealership made me promise to use car soap and no wheel cleaner products. That was a year and a half ago and they have been holding up very well.

Bill
Here’s what I wonder: If I DID go through the clear, how long before the satin black base coat gets weird on me or fades? My warranty is over next May.