#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Yeah just get the Kooks X pipe that will bolt perfectly to the Headers and Axle back. It won't get much louder, your car is already damn loud, it will just ditch the TRASH factory X pipe, crushed section, and secondary cats.

Honestly though, axle backs (Mufflers) don't offer any power worth speaking of. If you want it quieter, you should get the Kooks X Pipe which will run all the way to the back near the diff, and then put the stock Suitcase muffler back on which will give you exhaust modes. Food for thought, but either way, you should get the Kooks X Pipe to get rid of the factory X pipe mess. Your choice on running Corsa or stock NPP suitcase.

And LOL $700, since when do you care about spending money on your cars? Lol, just kidding, haha. Axle backs are for adjusting the sound quality and tone, not HP. X pipes and Headers effect HP and sound level.

Yea, I get all that. I know the axle back does nothing, but I wanted the Corsa rumble so i went with Corsa. I'll check into the Kooks X pipe then. Look, 15 hp is still 15 hp so. If it frees up xhaust flow, I'm down with it. I'll check it out.

I might be getting my labor done for free from Matt so, if that is the case, we gonna pull motor asap. He owes me a solid.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
It’s has to be more than 5. I’m very sure. No way that suitcase is that light already.
For sure it has to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Sorian is expecting a 10-15 hp gain so. Easy trade off for me. 5lbs is still 5lbs. Not sure if I can deal with the extra loudness tho. haha.
You must have caught him at the end of a long day... No way!

This system is just in time for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
"*Not recommended for highly modified vehicles"

Interesting.
X2 WTH is this all about?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #17
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Yea, I get all that. I know the axle back does nothing, but I wanted the Corsa rumble so i went with Corsa. I'll check into the Kooks X pipe then. Look, 15 hp is still 15 hp so. If it frees up xhaust flow, I'm down with it. I'll check it out.

I might be getting my labor done for free from Matt so, if that is the case, we gonna pull motor asap. He owes me a solid.
Oh I get changing the tone for the Corsa rumble. I put it on mine as you probably know by now. I wasn't faulting you for using I was just saying that so you wouldn't have any doubts about switching the axle back out if you wanted it quieter after it gets louder from the X pipe...if any of that made sense, lol.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #18
kttxz06

Quote:
Oh I get changing the tone for the Corsa rumble. I put it on mine as you probably know by now. I wasn't faulting you for using I was just saying that so you wouldn't have any doubts about switching the axle back out if you wanted it quieter after it gets louder from the X pipe...if any of that made sense, lol.

Nah nah, u good. Just trying to figure out if the extra loudness is worth the hp gains. I do like the idea of it being free from headers all the way back, but at what loudness? I'll have to weigh that option. I mean, at this point, am I really going to feel 15 hp? haha.

I go in tomorrow for one more HP mod, then a 116 tune. Should be hitting the 1150 mark, 1200 maybe. (At least that is what I'm hoping for). Temps are down to 91 instead of 105 like it was from my last pull, but humidity is 100% so. We shall see what happens.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #19
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
For sure it has to be.

You must have caught him at the end of a long day... No way!

This system is just in time for me...

X2 WTH is this all about?

No, it's not that. I found a crease in my front left fender (looks like when they put my front bumper on, the pressed way too hard, making my left fender bow out a little it). A PDR guy can knock it back in for $100, so I'm not too worried about that and my 2 front wheels look like to me someone tried to steal them. The carbon is fine, but the wheel itself has chips and small gashes in them around every lug nut hole. I have wheel locks on every lug. So, looks like they tried to get them off, and gashed the wheel as it torqued. It's on both fronts so. They didn't even both with the rears. I'm not blaming him or his employees, but it didn't happen at my house as my shit stays garaged so the only other time it could of happened was at Matt's so. I'm not a dick, so he said he'd make it right. The wheels are $2500 each so, I said, cover labor on the motor build and we'll call it even. I can live with some nicks on my wheels as long as it's not on the carbon. I can touch the shit up if I have too. We'll see if he agrees to it. His labor charge is around $3k so. Which means If he's cool with it, I can get it done for $5500 and I'd be perfectly fine with that. No complaints in the world. I can deal with a few nicked up wheels in exchange for a built motor at a discounted rate.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #20
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
No, it's not that. I found a crease in my front left fender (looks like when they put my front bumper on, the pressed way too hard, making my left fender bow out a little it). A PDR guy can knock it back in for $100, so I'm not too worried about that and my 2 front wheels look like to me someone tried to steal them. The carbon is fine, but the wheel itself has chips and small gashes in them around every lug nut hole. I have wheel locks on every lug. So, looks like they tried to get them off, and gashed the wheel as it torqued. It's on both fronts so. They didn't even both with the rears. I'm not blaming him or his employees, but it didn't happen at my house as my shit stays garaged so the only other time it could of happened was at Matt's so. I'm not a dick, so he said he'd make it right. The wheels are $2500 each so, I said, cover labor on the motor build and we'll call it even. I can live with some nicks on my wheels as long as it's not on the carbon. I can touch the shit up if I have too. We'll see if he agrees to it. His labor charge is around $3k so. Which means If he's cool with it, I can get it done for $5500 and I'd be perfectly fine with that. No complaints in the world. I can deal with a few nicked up wheels in exchange for a built motor at a discounted rate.
Ouch that sucks big time.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I was just referencing the Catback gaining 15 hp...

but damn that sucks some jackass tried to get the lugs off. Good thing for all the wheel locks or it would have been up on blocks for sure.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #22
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
"*Not recommended for highly modified vehicles"

Interesting.
Probably because it’s 2.75”, and not a full true 3” system. More than adequate for a stock-ish or mildly modded ZL1.....but big power needs a bigger exhaust.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #23
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Probably because it’s 2.75”, and not a full true 3” system. More than adequate for a stock-ish or mildly modded ZL1.....but big power needs a bigger exhaust.
I don't know about this. Not calling you out but just bringing it up that countless people with C6 Corvettes and G5 Camaros (Among other cares) did big power builds and left the stock exhaust which was always 2.5" and never had problems. The 2.75" is in between the 2.5" and 3" which are the standard gasoline engine exhaust sizes. There was comparisons done and 2.5" and 3" are very close even at the high levels. Add another .25" and compare 2.75" vs 3" and I really think it's turning into splitting hairs. Is there REAL flow to be gained? Sure probably down to percentages of CFM, but as for translated power? Probably less than 5. JMO.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #24
kttxz06

Quote:

Thanks for this. I'm out. Is there a 3" X pipe on the market?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #25
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I was just referencing the Catback gaining 15 hp...

but damn that sucks some jackass tried to get the lugs off. Good thing for all the wheel locks or it would have been up on blocks for sure.

It's just my speculation. But, I can only surmise that that is what happened.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #26
ninetres

Quote:
Thanks for this. I'm out. Is there a 3" X pipe on the market?
Borla offers one. But the Corsa axle back is still 2.75”
Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #27
ninetres

Quote:
I don't know about this. Not calling you out but just bringing it up that countless people with C6 Corvettes and G5 Camaros (Among other cares) did big power builds and left the stock exhaust which was always 2.5" and never had problems. The 2.75" is in between the 2.5" and 3" which are the standard gasoline engine exhaust sizes. There was comparisons done and 2.5" and 3" are very close even at the high levels. Add another .25" and compare 2.75" vs 3" and I really think it's turning into splitting hairs. Is there REAL flow to be gained? Sure probably down to percentages of CFM, but as for translated power? Probably less than 5. JMO.
Post links to the 2.5” high hp builds please.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #28
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Borla offers one. But the Corsa axle back is still 2.75”
I had 3" full Corsa on my 5th Gen... but 2.75 may be a better fit on the 6th Gen. Performance wise I doubt there is any difference.