Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 04-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
1SS 1LE door speaker upgrade help

Hey all. I've been browsing this sub for the last few days researching all I can about upgrading my 1SS 1LE audio setup. I've decided on just upgrading the front door speakers since I'd like to keep the cost down and don't want to wire in a new amp. I think I've got my parts picked out and wanted to get a second opinion before I order everything.

Speakers: Focal RCX-690 6x9 3-way 4ohm
Wiring adaptor: Metra 72-5600
Mounting Bracket: Metra 82-3017
Noico Sound Deadening Mat

Anything missing or any recommendations as far as other speakers go?
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
1) the 1le does not have a factory amplifier, so i do not think you are going to see much of an improvement without installing an amp.
2) i think the best setup to upgrade to is buying a dsp + amp + door speaker and tweeters
3) i strongly recommend you look at hybrid technology speakers they are hands down the best speakers you can buy in their price ranges. Find a dealer in your area and go demo them with some songs that you know like the back of your hand and i promise you those speakers will blow you away
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #3
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have 4 of those speakers sitting for install. (also going rear deck)
And replacing the 6-1/2 rear side panels. A friend replaced his with the Focals
(same GM radio, i believe) sounds great. The reviews are also good.
But your list is the same as mine, just smaller

EDIT: W/ Pic, and get something to absorb vibration were speakers mount.
I've seen (back in the day) thick cardboard, cork and fiber gasket material, inner tubes...lol. Back when we were broke. I'm going to use thick tool box draw liner material. (had in stock)
Just made some templates.
Attached Images

2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Last edited by brettman; 04-10-2018 at 08:49 AM.
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
You will want speakers in the back deck... It sounds night and day better.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You will want speakers in the back deck... It sounds night and day better.
Agreed, thats just a lot harder to do in the 1LE without the stock amp in the trunk. I'm wondering if just replacing the door speakers will be enough of an improvement with the 1LE's amp.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I replaced all speakers in my 1SS. 2 amps and the box in the trunk. All JLAudio. It sounds pretty damn good to me. And an epicenter hidden below the steering wheel for bass.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
1) the 1le does not have a factory amplifier, so i do not think you are going to see much of an improvement without installing an amp.
2) i think the best setup to upgrade to is buying a dsp + amp + door speaker and tweeters
3) i strongly recommend you look at hybrid technology speakers they are hands down the best speakers you can buy in their price ranges. Find a dealer in your area and go demo them with some songs that you know like the back of your hand and i promise you those speakers will blow you away
Agree 100%... Hybrid Audio Technologies makes the best speakers at any price point, from OEM replacement “Mirus” line all the way up to their competition grade Legatia SE line. I only use Hybrid Audio drivers in my cars
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
7stringtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
Agreed, thats just a lot harder to do in the 1LE without the stock amp in the trunk. I'm wondering if just replacing the door speakers will be enough of an improvement with the 1LE's amp.
The 1LE DOES NOT have an amplifier.

My god this has been stated over and over...

here is a wiring diagram that proves it...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23

Just replacing the door speakers in a 1LE specifically (this is different from a non bose 1SS which HAS an amp).... will not really give you much of an improvment. You NEED to add an amplifier. (and even better a DSP)

Just adding an amplifier and keeping the stock speakers would give you a bigger improvement in sound quality over replacing your speakers without an amp.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Thanks Buddy, you have been most helpfully.
This issue seems to be quite an issue.
Sad thing is most people don't do research.
Just ask to make a decision...LOL
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
You will want to add an amp for all the speakers.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
The 1LE DOES NOT have an amplifier.

My god this has been stated over and over...

here is a wiring diagram that proves it...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23

Just replacing the door speakers in a 1LE specifically (this is different from a non bose 1SS which HAS an amp).... will not really give you much of an improvment. You NEED to add an amplifier. (and even better a DSP)

Just adding an amplifier and keeping the stock speakers would give you a bigger improvement in sound quality over replacing your speakers without an amp.
OK.... did not see that thread and thought that the 1LE did in fact have an amp, just not in regular 1SS location.

My mistake. Consider my decision made.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #12
7stringtheory

Quote:
OK.... did not see that thread and thought that the 1LE did in fact have an amp, just not in regular 1SS location.

My mistake. Consider my decision made.
Sorry man, I didnt mean to come off like a dick.

One more thing, when you tap the factory wires make sure to use the ones going to the front speakers and not the rears. The front speakers are the only full range outputs from the head unit.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
Polishdevil

Drives: 2017 SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
I replaced all speakers in my 1SS. 2 amps and the box in the trunk. All JLAudio. It sounds pretty damn good to me. And an epicenter hidden below the steering wheel for bass.
What are the details on your equipment and install?
Polishdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
7stringtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishdevil View Post
What are the details on your equipment and install?
I ran Hybrid Technologies Clarus Door / Tweeter setup,2 Arc Audio Black 10s in the back in a sealed enclosure, with an Arc Audio PS8 dsp unit feeding an Arc Audio KS 300 4 channel amp for the fronts and an Arc Audio KS 1200 Class G/H monoblock amp for the subs.

Bass knob mounted inside the center console. Sound quality is amazing, crystal clear and can literally dime the radio all the way with 0 distortion. (although the sub amp does start to clip around 95% volume on the radio, but that volume is literally too loud for people outside of the car lol..)

Tags
1le, door speakers