Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
kgerm

Drives: 2018 ZL1
1LE SC3 Tire Question

Hello all, I am new here and been lurking a while. This is my first car so I am new to the Camaro family as well as driving. We currently have a 2018 2SS 1LE with the Good year SC3 tires that are great but may not bee good for wet weather driving from what some have said. My drive to school is only a few miles, 3 to be exact, from my home. Do you think that I need to change my tires to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the amount of driving I am/will be doing in the rain? My dad and I discussed them but have concerns over losing traction at the track.

Yes, other threads have seemed to touch on this but not to what I am looking for since I will not be getting on any highways while raining nor wet. The roads I drive to school will have a max speed of 40 and not have extreme cold weather. If that happens, my dad will either drive us or let us take his Superduty.

Thank you!
kgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
You should be okay at that distance, but your engine may not like that distance. You'd never get it warmed up!
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
if you are worried about always get an extra set of tires/wheels but i wouldnt if you are that close
Old 07-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #4
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Short trips, slower speeds, no real cold, you'll be fine. As said, your engine will suffer more than anything.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
kgerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
You should be okay at that distance, but your engine may not like that distance. You'd never get it warmed up!

Ha! Well fortunately we have a track down the road that we will make use of so I am glad to hear that I do not need to get a different tire. These have seemed amazing thus far while tracking it and would hate to see the performance degrade at all.

KprosCamaro-thank you. We had looked at that option as well but it was getting pricey and would prefer to put that money toward mods if it needed to be spent.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
You will be fine in the wet with almost any tire, as long as you use restraint with your right foot.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
You will be fine in the wet with almost any tire, as long as you use restraint with your right foot.
This is exactly right.

Whether or not you SHOULD change a tire to account for wet weather is completely dependent on you. The SC3s are definitely NOT wet weather tires or cold weather tires but I drive with them in wet and cold a lot as I live in Colorado.

I have to respect the fact that I have greatly reduced traction.
I corner slower.
I accelerate slower.
I increase my following distance.

But, I do not want to maintain a separate set of wheels and tires so I run SC3s all year round and then on the warm dry days, I have a blast! I am hoping to get some track time this summer so will be replacing my current set (12000 miles) with a new set of SC3s.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
kgerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobz View Post
This is exactly right.

Whether or not you SHOULD change a tire to account for wet weather is completely dependent on you. The SC3s are definitely NOT wet weather tires or cold weather tires but I drive with them in wet and cold a lot as I live in Colorado.

I corner slower.
I accelerate slower.

But, I do not want to maintain a separate set of wheels and tires so I run SC3s all year round and then on the warm dry days, I have a blast! I am hoping to get some track time this summer so will be replacing my current set (12000 miles) with a new set of SC3s.

Thank you so much for all of the quick responses. You’ve definitely helped me and put me at ease over keeping these as a daily tire.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
Desert1LE

Drives: Chevy Silverado, Camaro, Traverse
As long as it’s not below 50 F you will be fine.
Desert1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Driving in the rain is fine. Its when its
a) higher speed i.e. highway
b) standing water
c) worn tires

These individually or combined can create some hydroplaning as the tread pattern isn't the best at evacuating water. I usually don't notice until the tires wear and I'm going over 55 or hit puddles and/or heavy rain.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #11
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Look at apex for a set of 19s. You can run 305 square and rotate.. also use g3r of you want more grip..
Old 07-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #12
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobz View Post
This is exactly right.

I corner slower.
I accelerate slower.

I got about 12,000 out of each set of Goodyears. Still had front tread left but they got super noisy due to driving them below 45˚. They do not like cold at all.

The Continentals have 15,000, still plenty of tread and still quiet.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #13
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I have Conti ECS tires and am liking them a lot, even in mild winters (I live in NC). Using 285-35-19 on all 4 corners and Apex 19" x 10 rims. No need for spacers or adapter rings if you go with the ARC-8s, and they are almost 30% lighter than the OEM wheels.

Be aware though if you go with 10.5 wheels to run 305 tires, you might need to grind the front strut to create clearance.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:14 AM   #14
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by weemus View Post
Driving in the rain is fine. Its when its
a) higher speed i.e. highway
b) standing water
c) worn tires

These individually or combined can create some hydroplaning as the tread pattern isn't the best at evacuating water. I usually don't notice until the tires wear and I'm going over 55 or hit puddles and/or heavy rain.
good post; wet isn't the problem, per se with the SC3. OP's conditions shouldn't be an issue at all.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote