Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #995
Nc1le

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet 2ss 1le
Thank you! I’ll try 32/30 this weekend. And actually that sounds like the exact alignment I got! Camber LF -2.5 RF -2.7 LR-2.0 RR -2.0 caster LF 7.4 RF 7.6 toe LF 0.00 RF -0.01 RR .04 LR .05.
Nc1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #996
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I'd try dropping a couple pounds from those tires at both ends. IME it is somewhat surface dependant, but stock SC3s seem to like a little less pressure than some other tires. Also, for autocross use, I'd forget the track alignment specs and max out front and rear camber with around zero toe front and small amount of rear toe (maybe 1/16"). In back, on a stock car, the rear toe setting will limit the camber you can get. On my 2020, I have about -2.7 front and -1.9 rear.
+1, also the OEM SC3s take a while to get enough heat in them.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #997
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post

welp here they are. day 1 and 2 from this years SCCA solo nationals!

We just were too conservative and safe day one. Went for it n my last run on day one and had two big slides. still don't think we would have caught sam though!
Congrats to Mike for another fine showing! Hope to compete against you again a few times next year (hopefully including in an FS Pro Solo class, too)!

I really liked how the east course drove. Too long and WAY too many cones. The west course was forgettable. It wasn't bad, but just wasn't good. Even though it was more challenging than it seemed, I didn't think it was a "Nationals" course. Very little speed change. No element felt like it had a reward for doing it right and nothing about it made me think, "I'd enjoy driving this again some day." But it was there. And I drove it. Poorly. I point out some of the mistakes in the West course video below.

East Course 88.755 (5, yes 5, cones)

West Course 53.803
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #998
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Thanks for sharing the nationals videos. Glad to see folks on this thread made the trip and did well.

Is the Mach 1 for real or is it just that Strano is an exceptional driver? Better put, anyone shopping for Mach 1's now, haha?
Old 09-12-2022, 07:37 AM   #999
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
Thanks for sharing the nationals videos. Glad to see folks on this thread made the trip and did well.

Is the Mach 1 for real or is it just that Strano is an exceptional driver? Better put, anyone shopping for Mach 1's now, haha?
I still think the cars are really evenly matched. The Mach 1 has a 1/2" wider front wheel but we all run the same tires. It may get a little more camber. But it also weighs 100lbs more. Strano is an exceptional driver, but so is "our" Mike Leeder and Mike Carpenter (I'm sure Andy Neilson is, too). The wildcard in the mix is that Sam removed his MRC dampers and installed Penske double-adjustables in their place. This is a legal substitution (I'm not complaining), but to my knowledge nobody else in the entire class, in either car, did that.

Short answer: no, I'm not shopping for a Mach 1 at this point, but I might write the SEB and request that they allow us to use the DSC controller to make our dampers adjustable without removing great technology and spending many thousands on less advanced shocks.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #1000
clyde

Quote:

Quote:
I still think the cars are really evenly matched. The Mach 1 has a 1/2" wider front wheel but we all run the same tires. It may get a little more camber. But it also weighs 100lbs more. Strano is an exceptional driver, but so is "our" Mike Leeder and Mike Carpenter (I'm sure Andy Neilson is, too). The wildcard in the mix is that Sam removed his MRC dampers and installed Penske double-adjustables in their place. This is a legal substitution (I'm not complaining), but to my knowledge nobody else in the entire class, in either car, did that.

Short answer: no, I'm not shopping for a Mach 1 at this point, but I might write the SEB and request that they allow us to use the DSC controller to make our dampers adjustable without removing great technology and spending many thousands on less advanced shocks.
A few thoughts...

Anecdotal data point: Sam did one run in my car after our competition runs at a FedEx field event in late August. Both cars were on low run Falkens. He was about 0.5 slower in my car on a 51 second course. Most of that time was lost to reacquainting himself with the Camaro on the fly. I honestly think he would have turned the same kind of times had he been in a 1LE (maybe even better).

In running with and talking with Sam a lot through this year, the Mach 1 and 1LE seem to have two or three big differences: steering responsiveness (1LE is super sharp and the Mach 1 is kind of lazy and floppy), LSD behavior (Mach 1's Torsen is consistent, predictable, and natural while the 1LE's eLSD is...none of those things), and (maybe) power delivery (neither one is really better, they just have different characteristics and sometimes one or the other is better suited for a specific course).

Carpenter only ran a handful of events this year and he's still figuring things out on the car. If he had had a few more events and testing time, I think he would have had better results.

Shock controllers were brought up at the SAC breakout, but I didn't quite hear everything. The current status is that they're still legal in SS as a sort of (now five?-year "temporary" experiment), but not the rest of the Street classes. At the time, the shocks that could use them were in only a handful of cars, the controllers were super expensive, and people were worried about drastically increasing the cost to be competitive. Now, they're in more cars and the controllers seem to be a LOT cheaper. I got the sense that it's been a topic of recent discussion on the SAC. I plan to send a letter this week asking that they end the experiment and open the allowance to all Street classes or end the SS carve out.

I also left unclear about whether Chevrolet's autocross eLSD tune would be Street legal under the current TC/ECS proposal, but it was mentioned. There were noise issues at the SAC breakout, I didn't hear everything, and most of the discussion kept moving back to SSR, SS, AS, BS, and decisions made in the past by people that are no longer in decision making positions.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #1001
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:

Main issue for me is cost. its probably close to 8grand to get penskies for our cars.... thats just not in the cards. If i am going to spend that on shocks I'm going STU/CAM lol. DCS controllers would be an affordable option but are not yet legal for anything other than SS. While i have seen a lot of SS drivers test them, most have gone back to conventional shocks. for what thats worth.

Sadly in the proposal for the VSC/TC issue in fast track the diff tune would not be legal for us. the wording is confusing but i have confirmed this and asked them to make sure they clarify this more in the wording, but they also understood how it could be confused and thought the diff tune would be legal.

The 1le is still the bang for buck bargain and I know it can do it as is.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #1002
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
The first Mach 1 in our local region will be out this Saturday. So assuming he's got tires, it could be a fun matchup.

Although as a B-team driver my input doesn't really matter, I do like the idea of legalizing DSC controllers. And since the Mach 1 and 1LE appear to be the main entries in FS moving forward, it seems to fair to allow it.

On the other hand, just getting in the car and setting the suspension to Track is much easier. I had DA Koni 30's on my last car and could never get the shocks dialed in right!
Old 09-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #1003
apexit53

Quote:
The first Mach 1 in our local region will be out this Saturday. So assuming he's got tires, it could be a fun matchup.

Although as a B-team driver my input doesn't really matter, I do like the idea of legalizing DSC controllers. And since the Mach 1 and 1LE appear to be the main entries in FS moving forward, it seems to fair to allow it.

On the other hand, just getting in the car and setting the suspension to Track is much easier. I had DA Koni 30's on my last car and could never get the shocks dialed in right!
Any input is good input no matter where you place.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #1004
clyde

Quote:

Quote:
Any input is good input no matter where you place.
But the input does need to be placed in the right place which is here: http://crbscca.com/?page=submitLetter

Old 09-14-2022, 10:37 PM   #1005
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Took part in UMI's King of the Mountain a few weeks ago. They had a live feed going. Made us feel like Rockstars with the commentary! Here's the link:

I'm on at the 47:20 mark and then roughly an hour later
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #1006
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Took part in UMI's King of the Mountain a few weeks ago. They had a live feed going. Made us feel like Rockstars with the commentary! Here's the link:

I'm on at the 47:20 mark and then roughly an hour later
Thats awesome! I was supposed to be there but got the vid. It was a blast to watch though! Next year
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #1007
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Thats awesome! I was supposed to be there but got the vid. It was a blast to watch though! Next year
I'm sure you would have done well. Chad Englert was there and you guys match up pretty close. The shootout format this year was much better. There were no match ups like previous years. Everyone that made it into the night show (top 12 in each class) started with a clean slate. Everyone got 1 lap and then top 6 advanced. I watched all the guys that ran ahead of me run 60.xx's and JJ Mallrich coned a 59.1, so I knew a decent clean 59 would advance me. The course was a riot!
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:07 AM   #1008
apexit53

Had some fun with some "camC" prep

19x11 square with 285/305 2017 build date RE71R's lol

it was a blast but had zero grip lol.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE