Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 07-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #43
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Sold my last 2 cars with OE battery, 10 years and 5 years -- hope whatever GM stuffs under hood err trunk makes it just as long. For the most part, daily driven.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #44
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps100 View Post
So I got it back, new Battery Installed, On the ride home, dash showed 14.5 Volts, then dropped to 14, 13.8, 13.7, now it seems to be staying around 13.7 volts, is that a good #.

Was surprised to see it changing so much.

Also I guess the battery is located kind of under the back seat, they seem to have messed up the carpet in the trunk up near where it meets the seat, is the battery under the seat ???

Flaps
13.7 is a good number. A 12 volt battery at full charge is about 12.7 so the idea that 14v or otherwise is good - just does not work with the math of how batteries work. In fact 13.7 at rest (like 12 hours after last start or engine kill) is pretty high. The functional voltage of the cells is like 2.1 thence times 6 cells = 12.7.

A lot of issues do come up from hot charging / tendering batteries with tenders that don't slow down. It's very bad to crank 13v + into an idle battery on a tender for prolonged periods. Moar is not always better.

A decent battery is a really simple and important component. Like a cheap hooker you can stuff loads of dollars or juice into it and it won't make it work any better. In fact it get's worse.

Check this out: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...ry-basics.html

There is more to it. But remember 14v consistent will kill a battery.
matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #45
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
another way to look at it...

When your gas tank is full, do you keep pumping more gas in? No, it would overflow.

Same thing with the battery.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 AM   #46
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
When your gas tank is full, do you keep pumping more gas in? No, it would overflow.

Same thing with the battery.
That's not far off.

I run an Aprilia dual sport v990 and a lot of the crowd insists that 14v charging mods for the r/r is important. All it really does is cook the batteries and the rectifiers. 13.4v is plenty and over 13.6v is really too hot IMHO.

I have a box of dead Yuasa batteries (like six of them). Never more than a year's service - and a Deka/Penn with over 5 years service. Good batteries, proper charging. MOAR is not better.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #47
flaps100

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 RS
Thanks for all the info and ideas. Its running great with the new battery and even though it was hot the day it failed, I got a descent amount of the garage cleaned up waiting for the tow truck :-)

Flaps
flaps100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #48
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps100 View Post
Thanks for all the info and ideas. Its running great with the new battery and even though it was hot the day it failed, I got a descent amount of the garage cleaned up waiting for the tow truck :-)

Flaps
Sorry I just noticed your were in Las Vegas. Batteries for cars in really hot climates tend to have limited lifespans.

My little brother in Tempe, AZ changes them every 2-3 years. Out here in SF Bay Area I do it every 5 years. A consumable.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #49
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Got a P2535 code (plus 1 another from the TCM) after a jump start. Reset the codes and all back to normal.

$16 code reader and free Torque App were choices well made.

Been driving keyless cars for 7 years, but still apparently I did something dumb. Email from onstar confirmed it:
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote