Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Bose system in Vert

Can anyone tell me if the Bose system has a sub woofer and how it sounds compared to the base system. I see it only comes with 7 speakers vs. 9 in the coupe. Is it worth the $900.. does it make the interior rattle at higher volume.. how is the bass... thanks in advance for your feed back.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
From what I've seen the 2ss gets the subwoofer it's in between back seats I do believe. I've got the 1ss only uses the 6x9 in the doors for base. Not an audiophile but I think it sounds really good. I would say a little better sound would be nice with the top down blasting 80 down the highway! As for the original question there's been people looking for more base from the Bose! So that would tell me it's not powerful enough to be rattling things��
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I have a 2LT convertible with the Bose system. I have not heard the base audio system. The Bose does not have a sub woofer. In my opinion, the Bose is good for a factory system, but the highs are a little dull and the low end is not very powerful. On this forum I learned that even minor upgrades are not easy and not inexpensive. I wish it was as easy as replacing a couple of front speakers to take care of the high end, and tapping in to the pre-amp signal and adding an amp/ subwoofer. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong here; the audio signal is digital out of the head unit and is mixed with other sources in the power amp then converted to analog, amplified and sent to the speakers. The amplified audio is not flat, it is equalized to work only with the 2 ohm Bose speakers. None of the speakers get a full range of frequencies sent to them. The work-around to upgrade is an aftermarket analog to digital to analog digital signal processor to take the Bose amplified signal and process it to a flat-response pre-amp signal. From here you need amps to drive new speakers, the Bose speakers will not sound right with a flat signal. I'll live with the Bose. It's good, I wish it were better, but I really don't feel like spending a couple of thousand dollars to take it to the next level.

Last edited by 17rsvert; 06-24-2018 at 03:34 PM.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I have a 2LT convertible with the Bose system. I have not heard the base audio system. The Bose does not have a sub woofer. In my opinion, the Bose is good for a factory system, but the highs are a little dull and the low end is not very powerful. On this forum I learned that even minor upgrades are not easy and not inexpensive. I wish it was as easy as replacing a couple of front speakers to take care of the high end, and tapping in to the pre-amp signal and adding an amp/ subwoofer. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong here; the audio signal is digital out of the head unit and is mixed with other sources in the power amp then converted to analog, amplified and sent to the speakers. The amplified audio is not flat, it is equalized to work only with the 2 ohm Bose speakers. None of the speakers get a full range of frequencies sent to them. The work-around to upgrade is an aftermarket analog to digital to analog digital signal processor to take the Bose amplified signal and process it to a flat-response pre-amp signal. From here you need amps to drive new speakers, the Bose speakers will not sound right with a flat signal. I'll live with the Bose. It's good, I wish it were better, but I really don't feel like spending a couple of thousand dollars to take it to the next level.
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up. I spent $7k on my audio upgrade FROM the Bose. In every car, audio is my first upgrade. Love car audio, and I live in LA and am always in traffic.

Car Audio is like wine, no one else can tell you whether you like it or not. its your ears. If you like how it sounds, then it's perfect for you! But no, there is no bass in the vert, the front 6x9's are getting signals all the way down to 20Hz I believe, so technically you are getting bass from there, but not a lot. But again, if you like it, its perfect!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
fedupdave42169

Drives: 2017 Camaro as convertible
I have to add this about the stereo speakers, if you have flac audio files on your phone or your usb drive it makes a big difference is sound quality. The bass is tight and the highs are very clean.
fedupdave42169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
outobie

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Convertible
I have a new 2017 2LT vert and have just noticed that the equalization changes dramatically when you put the top up and down...I don't mean the top changes the acoustics, I mean there seems to be an "on/off" switch at a certain point in opening the top that changes the entire sound.

is it supposed to be that way or is something wrong with my car?

it happens every time without exception so it seems as though it's supposed to function that way but thought I'd ask here to confirm.

thanks
outobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by outobie View Post
I have a new 2017 2LT vert and have just noticed that the equalization changes dramatically when you put the top up and down...I don't mean the top changes the acoustics, I mean there seems to be an "on/off" switch at a certain point in opening the top that changes the entire sound.

is it supposed to be that way or is something wrong with my car?

it happens every time without exception so it seems as though it's supposed to function that way but thought I'd ask here to confirm.

thanks
I thought it was just me but I noticed the same thing! I have the non-Bose amplifier setup on my vert but just figured that the acoustics change because the top was down, I could tell the volume goes down when the top is down
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
outobie

I’ve put the top up and down to check when it happens. It always happens just as it latches closed and when it’s mostly opened... same position every time.

I figured it’s either triggering a sensor that’s supposed to be there or pulling on a wire that shouldn’t be there (or is loose) but it seems to deliberate to be an accident.

Just hoping someone can confirm it’s supposed to happen
Old 07-25-2018, 01:50 AM   #9
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
I do not have the Bose system but found this on the MyLink Infotainment System Guide, might be able to turn it off if you have this option or a similar option for ambient noise.

somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
outobie

Yes I do have that (in all my cars actually) it increases volume based on how fast you go.

It could be the same technology though

Volume changes based on the position of the top.

I’ll have to try turning that off to see if it makes a difference

Thanks for the good idea