Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Convertible trunk lid antenna water drips

When I wash my car and am drying it, I see water dripping out from under the antenna when I open the trunk. Didn't think to much about it, but today when I opened the trunk, more water came out. The car has been in the garage since I washed it three days ago. My concern is that water is laying in there and will eventually cause corrosion to the antenna parts and/or the sheet metal.

Anyone else notice this? Any solutions? Am i being too picky?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
If your garage is cool then there probably isn't much air movement or heat to dry the moisture. I get water drips running out from under the shark fin antenna after a wash too. I open the trunk lid and let any water under the fin run out as part of my drying process. It doesn't take too long. Maybe give that a try and see if it takes care of drips later. If not then maybe a trip to the dealer to let them check the antenna to make sure it was mounted correctly.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
JSAVILLE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert. A10
I noticed the same thing on my car the other day. I washed it up, put it in the garage. A few days later, I sprayed the car down with Detail spray and Water ran out around the Antenna . We need to check with the dealers.......I agree with you, That's not good
JSAVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
should be easy to add clear sealant to the edge of the shark fin where it meets the trunk lid, right
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Totally normal on this car. Antenna and rear wing stanchions do this every time, mirrors to a lesser extent.

Giving them a good shot with the leaf blower when drying followed by a minute or two vertical while I dry out all the water around the trunk lip usually gets most of the water out.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
I had mine replaced as after trip through the car wash it would pour out the front of antenna. Until lately no water at all when opening trunk, now a little.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
BrotherxSpartan

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Dang. I was just going to create this thread.

The underside of my trunk lid always looks like it was open during the wash. I have to remember to dry it afterwards.

This is definitely a flaw
BrotherxSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherxSpartan View Post
Dang. I was just going to create this thread.

The underside of my trunk lid always looks like it was open during the wash. I have to remember to dry it afterwards.

This is definitely a flaw
might need sinched down a little ittle more have the dealer check if it's the same design as similar gm antenna as it's tightens the nut spreads and pulls it to the roof if it's not tight enough it will leak. Like I said have the dealer check because the bolts are cheap and easy to break
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherxSpartan View Post
The underside of my trunk lid always looks like it was open during the wash.
Do you mean the felt liner gets wet? Do you have a convertible with shark fin antenna, or a wing spoiler?
Old 06-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
17rsvert

Waking up this post in case anyone else has the same problem. Instead of clear sealant, which I thought might look crappy if not done perfectly, I removed the fin and coated the rubber gasket with dielectric grease.
It's almost 2 years and no more drips. Now when I'm done washing the car, I open the trunk lid to get the water off and dry it. Unlike before, when I open it again there's no more drips.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #11
rspitler

Drives: 2017 SS Convertible
I have the same problem. However, recently the XM stopped working. Took it to the dealer and they told me the shark fin antenna is defective. The radio kept telling me that reception might be blocked etc.
They had to order a new one and I'm still waiting for it to come in.
This past weekend the radio worked fine. It hasn't rained in over a week and I'm wondering if water is shorting it it out. Since its been dry, it works fine.
rspitler is offline   Reply With Quote