Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 12-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Trunk Divider recall - check yours if you've had it done

My 2016 was in for service this week and they replaced the divider in the trunk (piece that separates the top storage area from the trunk storage area when the top is down).

Got home and realized that, if you push on the divider at all, it will not stay up. Pops right off the top mounts. You dont have to push hard on it at all - the pressure of a bag sitting against it when you hit the brakes would cause it to fall.

Went right back to the dealer today so the service manager and I could look at it. He brought his interior tech out as well to make sure it was installed correctly (not much you could do wrong really). They still had the original so we put it on - you could push on it so hard it looked like the grommet was going to come out of the divider and it would not come loose. In fact, they pushed on it until eventually the bottom grommets popped off but the top ones never came loose. Put the new one back in and any pressure on it at all would make it disconnect from the top and fall. They both agreed something was wrong with the new one so they pulled another out of inventory - it did the same thing. They could not find anything different about the new ones visually but clearly something has changed with the replacements.

Go check yours if you have had it done and please post what you find. I dont know if its a bad batch my dealer has or a global issue. If you dont use your trunk much you may not notice it but, if you ever take a trip and put a bag or two in the trunk, you will have to get out and put the divider up EVERYTIME you want to operate the top.

For now my dealer put my original back in and left the recall undone as the fix is going to cause more problems than the original. But if this 'new' design is here to stay, Im going to take extra care of my original because the new one seems to be a step back.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Interesting, never had an issue with the original as of yet. Certainly will shy away from running out and getting the recall done for sure. Thank you for the heads up!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
You are correct!

I had the TSB done right before Thanksgiving and I have not driven the car but a few miles since then. But, I just now went out to the garage and checked. The partition pops off the posts without much effort.

Not good.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Mark114

I know a person locally that had the same problem with the replacement on his car.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
Me too. Thought it was only my car. I wonder if that was a design change to make it easier to push down the partition?
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
I think its an error on their part. I think they had to change the grommets because the sensor couldnt sense them in some instances. The new grommets on the replacement seem to have a shallower gap, causing the plastic clips that are supposed to hold it on not to engage completely. Chevy needs to fix this or they are going to have a lot of complaints on their hands.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
TSB Number 17209 Performed April 6th and just noticed that the new part will not snap in all the way on the passenger side grommet/fastener, threw a lunch box in the trunk and the whole partition came down. Back to the dealership and see what they say
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
G6CamJK

Drives: 16 2SS Convertible, 08 JKU
I had my car in last Wednesday for a routine oil change. The dealer ordered the recall partition. Went this morning to pick it up and the dealer service manager said he had to install it. I asked if I could keep the original divider and they said no. Based on the information in this thread I elected not to have the tsb done. I haven't had any issues with the original one so I didn't want to risk "breaking" something that currently works.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6CamJK View Post
I had my car in last Wednesday for a routine oil change. The dealer ordered the recall partition. Went this morning to pick it up and the dealer service manager said he had to install it. I asked if I could keep the original divider and they said no. Based on the information in this thread I elected not to have the tsb done. I haven't had any issues with the original one so I didn't want to risk "breaking" something that currently works.
Good! DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DO IT, unless they give you back your original, the new one sucks!
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
Mark114

Agreed that the replacement is junk. They replaced mine and it is definitely not as good as the original.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
Kencamaro

Drives: 2016 Nightfall 2lt 3.6 convertible
I was having problems with mine in the fall
Sometimes the top would not work at all
I’d have to go take everything out of the trunk
And it would work
Car was in for an oil change and they changed it
No problem
Until this week
I had some groceries in the trunk and it fell
Did think anything of it until I read this thread
I’ll be watching now
Kencamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Thanks for the heads up on this. Took my 16 2SS in for last of the free oil changes (why they put 8.8 quarts in a car that calls for 10?) and the CSR mentioned this recall.

Fortunately, the part was not in stock as he had replaced one earlier in the week. Not been having issues and I use the top a lot.

I will have to think on this one long and hard as I keep my helmet, emergency kit and autocross numbers in trunk pretty much 24/7.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
shrini23

Drives: 2016 2LT-RS, A8 Kalhari 'Vert
I checked with my Dealer
Based on my VIN he said there was no recall.
I've a 2016 RS-2LT?

American Authority (Side Skirts, Diffuser & Valance, Tow Hook, Front Fender Vent, Side Scoops)
shrini23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
I'm guessing my 2017 came with the "improved" divider. A swell water bottle caused it to fall.
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote