Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #43
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Boosted, that's my car in this thread. If you want a non-biased opinion and some pics PM me.
PM sent
Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #44
turbocopter

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR Vert
Looks great,,,Can you PM a price painted victory red shipped to 37042?
turbocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #45
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocopter View Post
Looks great,,,Can you PM a price painted victory red shipped to 37042?
Make a road trip and we could paint and install.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #46
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Heat extraction

I've been asked several times if the hood actually helps remove heat. While looking at it you would certainly think so, but I finally decided to run a quick test. I bought two digital temp meters and placed one above the intake manifold hanging down from my strut tower brace. The other I placed in front of the throttle body.

Ambient temperature was 75 degrees. I installed the stock hood and went for a 20 minute warmup drive and got everything up to operating temps. I then waited 15 minutes and repeated the drive going the same speeds and route. I made note of the temps changes and driving affects. I then swapped the hood to the Showstopper hood in a 15 minute window, and went for another ride same route and speed as before.

What I noticed is that the temperature above the intake manifold had dropped as much as 25 degrees at times with the new hood. The temp in front of the throttle body did not appear much different with either hood. I suspect that is because the bulk of the air probably came off the radiator which was at a steady temp.

One thing I noticed is that the new hood only seemed effective at removing heat when the car was moving. Even though the back of the cowl has holes and the front is vented, it still built up heat in 5 minutes of idling as bad as the stock hood.

The faster I went, the cooler the temp was above the intake manifold. Since the Camaro's engine temp is calculated and not actual, the gauges didn't give any useful data.

This obviously was not an extensive test, but for street driving the hood appears to be effective. As I stated, the faster I went the lower the second temp went. I would think the hood should provide decent heat extraction on the track as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #47
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Pete been awhile but still making these 5th gens look awesome as always!

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #48
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I've been asked several times if the hood actually helps remove heat. While looking at it you would certainly think so, but I finally decided to run a quick test. I bought two digital temp meters and placed one above the intake manifold hanging down from my strut tower brace. The other I placed in front of the throttle body.

Ambient temperature was 75 degrees. I installed the stock hood and went for a 20 minute warmup drive and got everything up to operating temps. I then waited 15 minutes and repeated the drive going the same speeds and route. I made note of the temps changes and driving affects. I then swapped the hood to the Showstopper hood in a 15 minute window, and went for another ride same route and speed as before.

What I noticed is that the temperature above the intake manifold had dropped as much as 25 degrees at times with the new hood. The temp in front of the throttle body did not appear much different with either hood. I suspect that is because the bulk of the air probably came off the radiator which was at a steady temp.

One thing I noticed is that the new hood only seemed effective at removing heat when the car was moving. Even though the back of the cowl has holes and the front is vented, it still built up heat in 5 minutes of idling as bad as the stock hood.

The faster I went, the cooler the temp was above the intake manifold. Since the Camaro's engine temp is calculated and not actual, the gauges didn't give any useful data.

This obviously was not an extensive test, but for street driving the hood appears to be effective. As I stated, the faster I went the lower the second temp went. I would think the hood should provide decent heat extraction on the track as well.
Good to know Mike. Thanks for sharing the info.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote