Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-31-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Nocturnal Z

Drives: 2018 1SS
Keep the TSP cam...or not? Advice needed...

So I bought a 2018 1SS 6-speed, and it already had some mods:

*TSP VVT-2 Cam, Specs: 231/235, .645"/.635", 116 LSA
*all other camshaft related upgrades, LS7 lifters, pushrods, valve springs.
*TSP 1-7/8" Longtube headers
*TSP non-catted x-pipe
*Roto-Fab CAI
*Mishimoto Catch-can
*Flex fuel sensor

The engine is otherwise stock.

And the car was of course tuned for these mods, I know the shop owner personally. With these mods, the car made 485rwhp on 91 octane. It was never tuned on E because the sensor was added afterwards.

My goal is to make 600+rwhp N/A on E.

My plan on reaching that goal is to add Factory Mast CNC heads (large valve option), Cometic .028 head gaskets (to bump compression to 12.27:1), MSD intake manifold, and 103mm TB. And then of course to be re-tuned on E.

Now this is where I'm seeking advice: Will the existing TSP camshaft get me to my goal or do I need to go with a different cam? It would be great to be able to just swap out the heads and add the intake & TB and go...but if the cam needs to be replaced with something different I'd rather do it while I'm already that far into the engine.

Also, is a 103mm TB necessary to reach my goal or would say a ported 95mm LT5 unit be sufficient?

Any other thoughts or advice on the combo I'm thinking of would be appreciated too!
Nocturnal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
you won't reach it on that cam, Race proven motosports seems to hit where youd like to be easily with their cam and head setup. I had the TSP VVT3 cam and i was at 560 wheel and 500 torque. with ported msd, heads, and 103 TB to include everything else you currently have.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
Nocturnal Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
you won't reach it on that cam, Race proven motosports seems to hit where youd like to be easily with their cam and head setup. I had the TSP VVT3 cam and i was at 560 wheel and 500 torque. with ported msd, heads, and 103 TB to include everything else you currently have.
Good to know, thanks. Yeah I'm familiar with RPM's builds, I watch their youtube channel quite a bit. The numbers they get from M6 cars is right where I wanted to be. I was just kinda hoping that I could get there with using what the car already has, but it's looking doubtful. I've searched quite a bit (not just on this forum) for results from the TSP vvt cams, but really didn't find much. With what your telling me of you experience with the larger vvt-3 cam, I think I'm starting to see why.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Z View Post
Good to know, thanks. Yeah I'm familiar with RPM's builds, I watch their youtube channel quite a bit. The numbers they get from M6 cars is right where I wanted to be. I was just kinda hoping that I could get there with using what the car already has, but it's looking doubtful. I've searched quite a bit (not just on this forum) for results from the TSP vvt cams, but really didn't find much. With what your telling me of you experience with the larger vvt-3 cam, I think I'm starting to see why.
Nope you're going to need a bigger cam and possibly more compression like in the 13s. At the bare minimum 12:5:1 compression.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:47 PM   #5
Nocturnal Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Nope you're going to need a bigger cam and possibly more compression like in the 13s. At the bare minimum 12:5:1 compression.
Fair enough. From what I'm calculating, If I milled the heads ~.015-ish combined with the thinner head gaskets, compression should end up at 12.8:1...now just need to figure out a solid choice on a camshaft that'll do the trick.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:38 PM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Z View Post
Fair enough. From what I'm calculating, If I milled the heads ~.015-ish combined with the thinner head gaskets, compression should end up at 12.8:1...now just need to figure out a solid choice on a camshaft that'll do the trick.
need to determine ptv. milling cyl heads and using a thinner gasket is going to limit the camshaft size and valve events will become more important to avoid contact. esp with bigger valves.

edit: also i don't think you'll see 600 on that dyno. doesn't appear to be near as generous as RPMs uncorrected dyno.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
doesn't appear to be near as generous as RPMs uncorrected dyno.
That’s what I was thinking as well
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:26 PM   #8
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
If you do the cam, while your in their I would do pistons and rods
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #9
Nocturnal Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
need to determine ptv. milling cyl heads and using a thinner gasket is going to limit the camshaft size and valve events will become more important to avoid contact. esp with bigger valves.

edit: also i don't think you'll see 600 on that dyno. doesn't appear to be near as generous as RPMs uncorrected dyno.
Agreed, I was thinking about that yesterday. I'm not opposed to fly cutting pistons if need be.

And if I don't see the magic 600 on the dyno, I'm not that worried about it. I realize a dyno is just a tool. I'm mainly looking for a solid 100rwhp gain over where it sits currently.