Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
RexB92

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS & 2011 Camaro 2SS
416 LT1 Procharged Cam

Hello everyone, I currently have a 416 LT1 with a F1A-94 procharger that made right at 700RWHP on about 14lbs of boost. I have the MAMO MSD, nick Williams 103. My current fuel system is the LT4 System and injectors with a DSX low side pump.. my motor is currently shot and rebuilding it here soon at the shop. I was wondering I could only run E40 max on that old set up. My old cam was a custom cam with these specs.

.603 .594 214 228 118+4 32% overdrive

If I went with a bigger cam and got a 40% or 38% fuel lobe do you think i would be enough to get to the full E85 mark with that? Or do you think the power I would pick up with a bigger cam I could then run less boost and make it there? Just can’t justify getting the XDI injectors and fuel pump for 6k just to run full E and only be able to run up to 800 RWHP.. And I DO NOT want to add meth injecton.. any input would be great thanks!!
RexB92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexB92 View Post
Hello everyone, I currently have a 416 LT1 with a F1A-94 procharger that made right at 700RWHP on about 14lbs of boost. I have the MAMO MSD, nick Williams 103. My current fuel system is the LT4 System and injectors with a DSX low side pump.. my motor is currently shot and rebuilding it here soon at the shop. I was wondering I could only run E40 max on that old set up. My old cam was a custom cam with these specs.

.603 .594 214 228 118+4 32% overdrive

If I went with a bigger cam and got a 40% or 38% fuel lobe do you think i would be enough to get to the full E85 mark with that? Or do you think the power I would pick up with a bigger cam I could then run less boost and make it there? Just can’t justify getting the XDI injectors and fuel pump for 6k just to run full E and only be able to run up to 800 RWHP.. And I DO NOT want to add meth injecton.. any input would be great thanks!!
Car should be making a lot more power than 700 WHP in my opinion. I’d reach out to CamMotion and have them spec a cam for exactly what you want to do with your build.

Read some of KingLT1’s posts on this board about fuel system sizing. You don’t need to run full E to make big power, E50-E60 will get it done with a significantly lower strain on the fuel system. There’s a crap ton of great info on sizes of pumps & injectors and what they will support for power at different E ratings. But you’re going to have to make an investment in the fuel system if you want to make big power. Either:
1. Port injection
2. XDI setup
3. LPE BB HPFP and +52% injectors
Old 12-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
RexB92

I agree it should be making more power but I think it’s because the motor was built for 30lbs of boost and there was a shit ton of blow by and it just wasn’t efficient.. I had a valve drop and destroy the block.. so I am now going with the Frankenstein head package so I should pick up some power there also.. just weighing out different options
Old 12-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
I agree it should be making more power but I think it’s because the motor was built for 30lbs of boost and there was a shit ton of blow by and it just wasn’t efficient.. I had a valve drop and destroy the block.. so I am now going with the Frankenstein head package so I should pick up some power there also.. just weighing out different options

What caused the Valve to fail? The valves should handle that power with no problem is what I'm thinking.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
What caused the Valve to fail? The valves should handle that power with no problem is what I'm thinking.
The factory valve seats/guides in LT1 heads are prone to failure when you run a aftermarket cam and heavier valve springs. If one plans on using stock castings then it would be wise to have the seats/guides reworked. Plenty of info out there supporting this. TSP has a disclaimer right on there website about it.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Did your valve seats, particularly intake, break apart? When I think "dropped valve" I only thing a broken spring leading to a "dropped" valve?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #7
RexB92

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The factory valve seats/guides in LT1 heads are prone to failure when you run a aftermarket cam and heavier valve springs. If one plans on using stock castings then it would be wise to have the seats/guides reworked. Plenty of info out there supporting this. TSP has a disclaimer right on there website about it.
Yes, will be getting them reworked by Frankenstein
Old 12-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #8
RexB92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Did your valve seats, particularly intake, break apart? When I think "dropped valve" I only thing a broken spring leading to a "dropped" valve?
Yes the valve seat broke leading to the valve dropping on top of the piston and boom
Old 12-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
so i have a custom boost cam by pray, its bigger then his stage 2 he offers. On 93 i made right at 800, i went 50 percent 93 and 50 percent e85 and make a good amount more then 800. again this is now with meth but i feel like you definitely should of made more then 700, i'm making over 800 on 12 or 13 pounds. i would consider meth, helps a ton, just my 2 cents.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #10
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Car should be making a lot more power than 700 WHP in my opinion. I’d reach out to CamMotion and have them spec a cam for exactly what you want to do with your build.
word. Also IMO, you need a zl1 pump, and an external low pressure pump too. I like the LingenP high pressure pump and LT4 injectors for 700 HP.

There is no E85 in Hawaii so I really don't need the LingenP injectors.

If I new I would end up in a farm in Hawaii with no E85, I probably would have done an 8 injector meth route. ie dual inject.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
IMO, the valve seat issue is partially caused by cams with too steep of a ramp vs lift.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:03 AM   #12
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I see you're in Nebraska. Who out here does your tuning?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #13
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post

Read some of KingLT1’s posts on this board about fuel system sizing. You don’t need to run full E to make big power, E50-E60 will get it done with a significantly lower strain on the fuel system. There’s a crap ton of great info on sizes of pumps & injectors and what they will support for power at different E ratings. But you’re going to have to make an investment in the fuel system if you want to make big power. Either:
1. Port injection
2. XDI setup
3. LPE BB HPFP and +52% injectors
I did 3 but tossed around 1 for a while. I'm in Hawaii now so there is no E85. I am thinking of 8 point meth, Weapon X SPI but I don't know if that can do meth / water. Snow can for sure. Long story short 1 or 3 is great if you can get E85, but now that I can't, I'm thinking meth.

To the OP, 6K for fuel system is in my opinion built into the cost. You gotta pay to play. I felt the 6K plus I put into the fuel system was well spent, just like the 600 bucks to put real valves into the head and I'm at 7 to 12 PSI depending on fuel and exhaust. Currently I'm at 6 PSI on a 4" pully stock headers and custom cats and 3 total mufflers.