Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-01-2021, 05:27 AM   #1
Jverado

Drives: 2004 Silverado, 2020 ZL1
2020 tail light housing cracks

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post, but I've had what look like stress cracks, randomly appear on both sides. Has anyone had this? I've never seen or heard of it. I know it's still under warranty but I'm worried about the dealer scratching stuff in the replacement process.
Attached Images

Jverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:22 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I've seen cracks like that before in polycarbonate. In that case the plastic was under high static tensile stress (induced by thermal stresses from 3000 watts of ultrasonic welding) and later exposed to chemicals (alkaline) that attacked the plastic which then developed a very similar pattern of sawtooth cracks along the stressed interface.

If you're using anything other than soap and water to clean the car, or anything solvent based on those lights ... then stop. Or it will repeat with the replacements.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
Jverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I've seen cracks like that before in polycarbonate. In that case the plastic was under high static tensile stress (induced by thermal stresses from 3000 watts of ultrasonic welding) and later exposed to chemicals (alkaline) that attacked the plastic which then developed a very similar pattern of sawtooth cracks along the stressed interface.

If you're using anything other than soap and water to clean the car, or anything solvent based on those lights ... then stop. Or it will repeat with the replacements.
The only thing those lights have ever seen besides Adams car shampoo and water, is some spray detailer. It's a very weird issue, but then again I've had a few odd little things with this car. Do they have to remove the rear fascia to replace these housings?
Old 10-06-2021, 11:14 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverado View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post, but I've had what look like stress cracks, randomly appear on both sides. Has anyone had this? I've never seen or heard of it. I know it's still under warranty but I'm worried about the dealer scratching stuff in the replacement process.
I just checked my 2020 2SS and don't see anything similar, is it on both sides? Perhaps it was overtightened at the factory and they broke the studs on the back, cracking the housing?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
Jverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I just checked my 2020 2SS and don't see anything similar, is it on both sides? Perhaps it was overtightened at the factory and they broke the studs on the back, cracking the housing?
Yes it is on both sides but seems worse on the passenger side. That's a good possibility although I thought that kind of stuff was done with calibrated, preset tools? It could also be maybe a bad set/molding? I'll have to make an appointment for that and the moisture trapped inside the lens of my, currently third backup camera
Old 10-08-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I have less noticeable ones around the edges of the lenses where they attach to the lamp body.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverado View Post
The only thing those lights have ever seen besides Adams car shampoo and water, is some spray detailer. It's a very weird issue, but then again I've had a few odd little things with this car. Do they have to remove the rear fascia to replace these housings?
OK probably a molding, subsequent assembly, or handling issue. Or someone somewhere got a solvent on them before you got a hold of the car. Shit happens.

Tail lights can be replaced easily (and DIY) by opening the trunk and removing the plastic cover plates on the sides at the top of the bumper. Bumper cover can stay on IIRC.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #8
Jverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
OK probably a molding, subsequent assembly, or handling issue. Or someone somewhere got a solvent on them before you got a hold of the car. Shit happens.

Tail lights can be replaced easily (and DIY) by opening the trunk and removing the plastic cover plates on the sides at the top of the bumper. Bumper cover can stay on IIRC.

I guess it's time to make an appointment at the dealership. Always a pain.