Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #57
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Noticed in another thread where a guy with a Whipple has had 2 methanol pumps fail so far. Makes me wonder if a PD blower car can setup their IAT table to pull things back when the methanol system has failed, as effectively as with a centri or turbo. With a centri or turbo setup, we already know about putting the IAT sensor shortly after the methanol nozzles, so the effect of the methanol is very noticeable. But with a Whipple, Edelbrock, LT4, or Magnuson supercharger, isn't the IAT sensor after the rotor packs, and therefore it would not get such a strong effect from the methanol?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #58
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Fwiw I believe the IAT spark table is set up in regards to sensor placement. So a Centri car might be set to start pulling timing around 130 degrees since the sensor is closer to ambient air where a PD might be set to pull timing starting around 155. That doesn't mean the Centri car is going to make more power. PD places a temp sensor post IC bricks down by the intake runner in the lower part of the supercharger manifold...it's obviously going to see higher temps then being closer to the throttle body.

And yes you can set up the IAT vs Spark table as a fail safe in the event a meth pump fails but only if you are using it for cooling/octane and not additional fuel. You would simply note the IAT reading with the meth on and set that table to start pulling timing if temps climb above that point. If you are using it to fuel the engine I am not sure pulling a bunch of timing would save the engine if it goes extremely lean. I guess that would depend on the setup and how aggressive it is. Ideally you would want to be able to open the bypass valve or be able to trigger reduced power mode.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 08-10-2021 at 09:19 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #59
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Noticed in another thread where a guy with a Whipple has had 2 methanol pumps fail so far. Makes me wonder if a PD blower car can setup their IAT table to pull things back when the methanol system has failed, as effectively as with a centri or turbo. With a centri or turbo setup, we already know about putting the IAT sensor shortly after the methanol nozzles, so the effect of the methanol is very noticeable. But with a Whipple, Edelbrock, LT4, or Magnuson supercharger, isn't the IAT sensor after the rotor packs, and therefore it would not get such a strong effect from the methanol?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Fwiw I believe the IAT spark table is set up in regards to sensor placement. So a Centri car might be set to start pulling timing around 130 degrees since the sensor is closer to ambient air where a PD might be set to pull timing starting around 155. That doesn't mean the Centri car is going to make more power. PD places a temp sensor post IC bricks down by the intake runner in the lower part of the supercharger manifold...it's obviously going to see higher temps then being closer to the throttle body.

And yes you can set up the IAT vs Spark table as a fail safe in the event a meth pump fails but only if you are using it for cooling/octane and not additional fuel. You would simply note the IAT reading with the meth on and set that table to start pulling timing if temps climb above that point. If you are using it to fuel the engine I am not sure pulling a bunch of timing would save the engine if it goes extremely lean. I guess that would depend on the setup and how aggressive it is. Ideally you would want to be able to open the bypass valve or be able to trigger reduced power mode.
There is a whole other side of this not being talked about.

When running any meth injection you need to pull fuel from the injectors and add timing in order to get a complete burn and additional power.

So when the pump fails you can pull timing but you still have a lean condition, and HOW FAST IS THE IAT SENSOR RESPONSE???

Not as fast as a piston burns.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #60
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Alky Control posted a new Meth pump where it uses a pressure switch in the filter. Its supposed to be mounted near the pump and direct swap for older units. My filter is right before the nozzles which is like 12 feet aay from the pump. I also dont believe I have a pressure switch in my current setup. I think its built into the head of the pump. Maybe I should put the filter right after the pump, how Julio is describing it.

https://www.alkycontrol.com/shop/pump

"Brand New for August 2021. Pump and Switch. Plug-n-Play with our existing system. The new design moves the adjustable pressure switch post filter, so it will read true pressure from the liquid the nozzle is seeing. There is 30 inches worth of wiring between the pump and its pressure switch. If the filter in the system is located further than 30 inches, please contact us for extensions or adapters. Warranty will now be 18 months on the new pump. Below is the option for the short hose and inline coupler to allow moving the existing filter close to the pump."