Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Technostalgia tail lights better now?

I always like these tail lights for the Camaro, but I have read a lot of horror stories about them. I like how they flicker 3 times when the brakes are applied and how the sequential turn signals look. I understand there have been a few variations since their inception.

Have the bugs been worked out?

Anyone have the "newest" variation?

TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
what kind of horror stories?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnashlenz View Post
what kind of horror stories?
Electrical problems, LED's burning out.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Yes, it would seem they suffered from electrical problems. Most times I have also read that the manufacturer would perform the repair for free. But that is just a pain removing the tail lights ever so often and having to put in the OEM ones.

Anyone have any recent purchase of these lights?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
They were, and are, and always will be junk. Stay far away
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
They were, and are, and always will be junk. Stay far away
Thanks for the reply. That really is too bad because they look pretty darn cool.

More to come.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I have had mine in the car for going on 3 years now with only minor issues, and they were fixed very quickly by Todd at Techno. The first set that came out were the problem units, I have the second go round of tails, he has since upgraded them to a newer version and eliminated most of the issues they showed, especially the battery drain problem. I am very happy with mine and wouldn't have any other in my Camaro, love them and attracts lots of attention. In 3 years I have only had to send 1 back for repair due to it leaking water, got a new one sent to me. So the decision is yours to make. Cheers
Old 01-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
I have had mine in the car for going on 3 years now with only minor issues, and they were fixed very quickly by Todd at Techno. The first set that came out were the problem units, I have the second go round of tails, he has since upgraded them to a newer version and eliminated most of the issues they showed, especially the battery drain problem. I am very happy with mine and wouldn't have any other in my Camaro, love them and attracts lots of attention. In 3 years I have only had to send 1 back for repair due to it leaking water, got a new one sent to me. So the decision is yours to make. Cheers
Thanks for the honest review and information!

More to come.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
one of my lights was spazzing out of control.....going through all the modes. A few were getting condensation. I shipped them to Todd the owner to fix all of them he did, but took him like a month to do so and one day they magically appeared on my door step. Dude that bought of me hasnt had any issues since been over a year. They are hit or miss.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
OP, listen up carefully.

In terms of reliability, this product is truly hit and miss, but that is not the problem..

You see, the first round of repair (and you WILL go through a round 1 one day...), and getting hold of them is an OK process... round no.1. There is downtime, though, could range a week to a month...In my case, it was like 1.2 weeks..not bad at all.

Everybody gets dibs at "first round" of repair with them lol!!

Mine came back in worse shape after round 1 of sending them in. The repair job looked like a 10 year old had worked on them, to pay for chocolate and candy, lol.

It_is the second round(should you need a second round) that is the real kicker! Their call screening begins @ round 2.

Be proactive for the future, if you plan to have zero downtime with your car and zero headaches. After a round 2, you will be on your own. Just a FYI

Lol @ their "don't worry be happy" (or was it?) "everything is going to be alright" hold music from their phone!

I still can't get over that

Last edited by Camaro Dude; 05-28-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Thank you for the replies everyone! Great to have forum and members willing to give actual feedback and not product bashing. I am really on the fence, meaning 50/50 on ordering these. I did find a online website with a great price, but I am not sure on which version they are selling. Is it old or new stock. I really like them and want to give them a chance, but as anything that can be hit or miss makes me feel like .

More to come.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Thank you for the replies everyone! Great to have forum and members willing to give actual feedback and not product bashing. I am really on the fence, meaning 50/50 on ordering these. I did find a online website with a great price, but I am not sure on which version they are selling. Is it old or new stock. I really like them and want to give them a chance, but as anything that can be hit or miss makes me feel like .
Someone with the last iteration of this product needs to chime in.

I think it was 3 versions?

I had the second version. No leaks ever(1st versions leaked), but the lack lustre durability of those el-cheapo, led bulbs for the afterburner, reared their ugly head. You must replace the entire strip, not bulbs separately on my version 2. I found their supplier in China fwiw...anyone can find them.

I'm sure 3rd version(last version?) will be a charm LOL

Again, it is the customer support that sucks. I emphasize SUPPORT.

The product itself is better than the support, but without support, what is the point in the long term? Without crutches, when you are broken, you aint standing...unless you make them on your own.

Conclusion: There is an End Game with this product.

Great looking product, no support, excellent example to Pay to Play, always at loss in the end.

At least you can always resell, recoup some costs.....

Would I do it again? For a couple of brownies, yes. Full retail price, NEVER!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Well I just ordered a new set. Found them for a great price. Hopefully they work with no problems. If I get a couple years out of them...well at least it will be somewhat worth it. lol

Thank you everyone for your input.

More to come.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #14
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Well, like they say FaceBook Prayers Sent !!!!
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote