Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenobi13 View Post
So we are going to add the blower kooks catless long tube headers full gt haus exhaust system going to upgrade the fuel system and the tune for engine and trans and my shop said that we can do cams pistons pushrods and some internal upgrades that we can push around 800whp to be safe not blowing anything.

It's just going to be a weekend car.

Thank you
I have no idea as to how your shop is doing all this for $10k or less.. ..I'd be very skeptical.. ..the blower alone is going to eat into about 70% of that budget, add the supporting mods and you're EASILY over $10k in parts alone, we havent even gotten into labor...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:27 AM   #16
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
LT4 is forged but GM cheaped out and didn't give us LT1 guys a forged bottom end.
LT1 crank is forged. the stock LT1 rod has seen 900 whp & over 8k rpm (not simultaneously). not sure what more you want from a na motor. the "weak point" is ring gap.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:11 AM   #17
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang N’ Bang View Post
Enough to ask the question “why didn’t I just get a zl1”.

10k+ a LT1 doesn’t equal a ZL1. That’s like 30k more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:32 AM   #18
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Since no one is answering your question, I first went NA heads and cam with no forged internals, now to being forged internals and procharged has costs just over 40k+ i believe i'm in the 50s but have to look/find receipts to confirm exact amount, thats with changing a lot like my cam and upgrading minor parts such as timing chain swapping to different throttle bodies multiple cometic head gaskets and so on. This is without labor as car was built by my dad, brothers and I. however the only part that i did not install because i lack on wiring knowlege although it seems easy enough i just don't trust myself unless walked through it is the RPM methanol kit, i had a shop do that for me which severely screwed up and did not know what they were doing which cost me around 800 then that alone cost me 2000 to fix and take to a new shop to find out the problem. the kit alone for that was 1000, so definitely find a reputable shop near you that will honor and prove the work was done before. i looked into them but also didn't ask owners or those who already had work done on how the car performed.. needless to say i don't think that shop exists anymore. only other cost i'd add to this would be tuning, i went through 3 tuners, 1 is reputable on here that i didn't like how communication was so i got a "startup" tune that didn't work and got left stranded which was $600 (basically just gave it to him) 2nd was a shop that did NOT know how to tune a 6th gen, at the time in their defense i was one of the first there so thats on me. 3rd tuner which is my tuner now is crazy good and knows what he is doing, that alone maybe around 2k in total for tuning changes throughout my build.

before i keep rambling on, its to early in the morning, if you have specific questions please don't hesitate to PM me, very transparent when it comes to my build and frustrations throughout it. their is a reason why i built it myself. i wanted to know my car inside and out and know it was done "correctly".
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #19
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
Since no one is answering your question, I first went NA heads and cam with no forged internals, now to being forged internals and procharged has costs just over 40k+ i believe i'm in the 50s but have to look/find receipts to confirm exact amount, thats with changing a lot like my cam and upgrading minor parts such as timing chain swapping to different throttle bodies multiple cometic head gaskets and so on. This is without labor as car was built by my dad, brothers and I. however the only part that i did not install because i lack on wiring knowlege although it seems easy enough i just don't trust myself unless walked through it is the RPM methanol kit, i had a shop do that for me which severely screwed up and did not know what they were doing which cost me around 800 then that alone cost me 2000 to fix and take to a new shop to find out the problem. the kit alone for that was 1000, so definitely find a reputable shop near you that will honor and prove the work was done before. i looked into them but also didn't ask owners or those who already had work done on how the car performed.. needless to say i don't think that shop exists anymore. only other cost i'd add to this would be tuning, i went through 3 tuners, 1 is reputable on here that i didn't like how communication was so i got a "startup" tune that didn't work and got left stranded which was $600 (basically just gave it to him) 2nd was a shop that did NOT know how to tune a 6th gen, at the time in their defense i was one of the first there so thats on me. 3rd tuner which is my tuner now is crazy good and knows what he is doing, that alone maybe around 2k in total for tuning changes throughout my build.

before i keep rambling on, its to early in the morning, if you have specific questions please don't hesitate to PM me, very transparent when it comes to my build and frustrations throughout it. their is a reason why i built it myself. i wanted to know my car inside and out and know it was done "correctly".
Just to be clear - are you saying you spent $50k to build your engine, in addition to the price of the car??

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #20
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Just to be clear - are you saying you spent $50k to build your engine, in addition to the price of the car??
no just in engine, i changed a lot of things within it so i'm counting the parts i bought while i was NA and changed when i went boosted. i plan on creating a video if i can locate receipts of it all showing the changes and added cost of just parts with a full breakdown of the "labor" when it comes to what i didn't install and tunes.

I just need to make some time to do so, i've been non existent lately because my job / contract i'm on decided i needed to obtain CASP and GCFA.... i hate studying for certs..
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
Old 09-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #21
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
$50k on an engine is crazy. I think I was quoted $23.5k for drop ins, heads/cam, fuel system, bolt ons, and ECS blower.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #22
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
$50k on an engine is crazy. I think I was quoted $23.5k for drop ins, heads/cam, fuel system, bolt ons, and ECS blower.
yeah my issue is i did changes with losing out on a bunch of things/parts. i'll have a better picture of it all when i sit down and lay it all out.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #23
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
An engine built for the race track costs more than 50.

Quote:
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #24
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
An engine built for the race track costs more than 50.
Race cars yeah, but I'd wager 90%+ of us on this forum are just street cars that might see a track 2-3 times a month if that.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #25
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
You're right

Quote:
Race cars yeah, but I'd wager 90%+ of us on this forum are just street cars that might see a track 2-3 times a month if that.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #26
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
10k+ a LT1 doesn’t equal a ZL1. That’s like 30k more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah but 10k isn't getting you anywhere close to ZL1 performance either.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #27
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Quote:
Agree. SS 1LE + $50k in total dollars ($95-100k) buys a hugely fast ZL1, Hellcat Redeye, C7 Z06, new GT500, used GT-R, maybe a used 911 Carrera S (not sure on that one), etc. I'm sure in hindsight he would have done things differently. Gotta know when to take your losses and move on.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:15 AM   #28
Kenobi13

Drives: 2021 chevy camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I have no idea as to how your shop is doing all this for $10k or less.. ..I'd be very skeptical.. ..the blower alone is going to eat into about 70% of that budget, add the supporting mods and you're EASILY over $10k in parts alone, we havent even gotten into labor...
Oh no for the blower was around 6.5k kooks catless headers is 1.5k exhaust 3k. Lt4 high pressure fuel pump is 1.2k, and the kit comes with the injectors and with intercooler. So but they told me with this setup we will be around 630-650whp max with tune and trans tune. Labor for everything is 2k and the tune for engine and trans is $750.
So the thing is I feel I am doing everything and I want to do cams and forged pistons and rods so it will be fully build but my shop does not do it. They have to ship another to another shop so they will rebuild it and they said with labor and parts it will be 10k but I think it's way too much.
So that's why I was asking do you guys have an idea how much will it coast to do internal jobs fully forged pistons and rods and also oil pump gear.

Thank you
Kenobi13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lt1 6.2l engine, performance chevy