Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
MRR wheel strength?

So most of us here have spent plenty of time on the track and I'd like y'alls "professional" opinion. I'm looking at a track / AutoX setup and the MRR FS01 seem to be a good, customizable, flow forged option. I'm planning on ordering a 19" staggered set up with a slightly lower offset (about 5mm).

Here's the million dollar question, or at least the one that I'm curious about. Have any of you first hand, seen these wheels have issues on the track? I'm worried about the strength and don't want these to disintegrate on an apex at COTA at 150 mph??

As always I appreciate your input guys!
tx6g1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
They should be fine, but just be aware flow forged is not quite as strong as regular forged wheels like the OEM ones. It also makes it so they can't get all the fine details. If you look at a MMR wheel, next to a OEM SS 1LE wheel, you will see they are not as detailed or dimensional.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
I have 19x10 and 19x11 on a 5th gen 1LE OE offsets. I have done a few track events but mostly autocross. No problems at all. I am going to be changing out sizing and these are for sale if you know of anyone looking. $1200 for the set in gloss black.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
meyouand987.2

Drives: 2011 Cayman R 2017 1LE
The time when you actually find out how "strong" the aftermarkets are, it will be too late. I track my car a lot and have been around on tracks for the better part of 40 years and I would NEVER use a wheel that was not truly forged. You may be OK autoX, but I would not want to hit the apex marker on turn 6 at Laguna at 90mph and find out how weak the wheels REALLY are. Just google image aftermarket wheel failures and that should do it for you, it would for me!
meyouand987.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyouand987.2 View Post
The time when you actually find out how "strong" the aftermarkets are, it will be too late. I track my car a lot and have been around on tracks for the better part of 40 years and I would NEVER use a wheel that was not truly forged. You may be OK autoX, but I would not want to hit the apex marker on turn 6 at Laguna at 90mph and find out how weak the wheels REALLY are. Just google image aftermarket wheel failures and that should do it for you, it would for me!
Well I wouldn't discount all aftermarket wheels, there are many manufactures that make wheels superior to the OEM wheels. But, at a cost...like HRE, Forgeline, ADV1, etc...but I hear ya on that.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
^^^ This. I whole heartedly agree. I help manage a road course in NH. We have the most elevation change in the country and I would not want to skimp on a proper wheel. Many Aftermarket wheel are fine but you have to pay good money for the correct application. I would want a fully forged wheel with history. Forge line or another set of OEM wheels would be my choice. MMR would probably be fine for AuotX but I would not trust them for track days.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Weird. No one has issues tracking the stock wheels on a SS and those are cast.
Many cars from different manufacturers are ripping around tracks on stock cast wheels and no one has questions.
The 1LE has a forged wheel.....why would you want to switch? If You can Drive the car and say " Hmmm, It needs 19's...", hats off too you.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Many cars from different manufacturers are ripping around tracks on stock cast wheels and no one has questions.
The 1LE has a forged wheel.....why would you want to switch? If You can Drive the car and say " Hmmm, It needs 19's...", hats off too you.
Cast wheels aren't bad at all, but if you hit something on track that is where the extra strength of a forged wheel can be vital.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
The goal was to find a customizable 19" wheel with a more aggressive offset and stuff some beefier tires on it. I love the 1LE wheels and I would never separate with.
tx6g1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Sorry man but this is not how it works. Guessing with fear is not the smart way to approach the situation. Using Google to create confirmation bias is literally illogical.

To prove the point, the factory Lotus LSS wheel on the Elise and Exige is forged, however it's notorious for cracking at mid-spoke on the track, I've seen two cracked LSS wheels in person. Furthermore, I used a JWL/VIA certified cast Rota on my Exige S and no amount of curb-pounding for years did any damage. There are two real world points that disprove your theory.

The best approach is to choose a wheel that has the JWL and VIA certifications. Those certifications represent good design practices and actual strength tests. There are tons of "boutique" forged wheels out there that are not certified and rely on off-the-hip design, and there are plenty of gravity cast that are properly FEA'd and fully certified. The different manufacturing methods can offer varying levels of ductility and weight at different price points, but that doesn't inherently undermine their stiffness and load bearing strength.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx6g1le View Post
So most of us here have spent plenty of time on the track and I'd like y'alls "professional" opinion. I'm looking at a track / AutoX setup and the MRR FS01 seem to be a good, customizable, flow forged option. I'm planning on ordering a 19" staggered set up with a slightly lower offset (about 5mm).

Here's the million dollar question, or at least the one that I'm curious about. Have any of you first hand, seen these wheels have issues on the track? I'm worried about the strength and don't want these to disintegrate on an apex at COTA at 150 mph??

As always I appreciate your input guys!
For example, Forgestar claims they test to JWL VIA, however they chose to go 3rd party with an SFI work-up instead of getting the actual certification. It doesn't mean they're bad wheels, but it means they think the customer won't know the difference.

http://www.forgestar.com/wheels/testdata/

IMO the biggest problem with wheels, both OEM and aftermarket, is there is no USA regulation to mandate minimum quality. Sure it allows for ultra-low cost offerings, but is that really the goal? The best we can do is uphold manufacturers to a high independent standard.

Picking a wheel based on what the Internet pictures show is about the least wise thing you can do.