Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2022, 11:36 PM   #1
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Electric Vehicles

Cool tech, fast as hell given the weight..

My concern for the car scene in general is that the days of buying a ss and modding it to higher performance is over. That is sad. With EV you pay for what you get.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:51 PM   #2
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Yeap. Unless manufacturers allow their performance divisions to still have ICE models alongside their EV counterparts, we will become more of the minority.

I need to go to bed, I have a meeting at 8am.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:59 AM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Enjoy it while it lasts, although I dont think the world is going 100% electric anytime soon. Will take time to ramp up the production to have enough Lithium to produce all the batteries. We will see, maybe we can have some sort of hybrid future.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:59 AM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
it will suck to be slower than whatever EV is next to us though.if there is a next gen camaro the base EV model will probably be almost as fast as a ZL-1 is now.i just hope its a real 2 door camaro and not a 4 door sedan...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
PostalLDMC

Drives: 2022 2LT RS Convertible
Well, we got our new 2022 vert and love it, so we're set for a long time being in our 70+. We'll go all electric>>> in our wheelchairs<<< But then again we'll weir name tags.: crazy:
PostalLDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #6
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I figure, by the time that EV is my ONLY choice, I won't be driving or caring! I'm old enough to ride out my V8 dinosaurs until it won't matter. I'm good!

Not concerned about faster, there is always another car faster than you! I am only concerned with the experience and pleasure, none of which you get with an EV
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #7
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I actually like EV. I don’t think it’s the solution folks think it is, but that’s another discussion lol.

My point is with EV it is what it is. The days of buying a lower level car and modding it to perform with the higher trim models are over.

Case in point I purchased a SS, I would have liked a ZL1 but the wife would not be happy dropping that coin on a car…. but honestly didn’t bother me because I can mod my SS to ZL1 power levels pretty easily.

With EV I don’t see that as an option.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:33 AM   #8
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Blaqwhole entering in 3.......2.......1.......
Old 04-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #9
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
By tuning the car are you foregoing any over the air updates the manufacturer provides? This could be a big deterrent holding people back from upgrades the OEM isn't providing. It just depends on how many people will want aftermarket support for their EV and how accessible the ECU is to tune.

I could see manufacturers locking it down and making upgrades available only through dealers. Going all in with feature availability only through a subscription model. Not because these things aren't possible now but with this shift there is an opportunity to say this is how we do it now.

There could be a manufacturer that caters to enthusiasts and allows, or at least turns a blind eye to third party tuning but that will require someone at the top with the right mindset or an unfulfilled market.
EV's have proven themselves fast. The Hummer weighs over 9000 pounds and can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. So maybe the EV aftermarket isn't chasing speed but rather engagement. Light weighting and dropping in manual transmissions could be the thing.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #10
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Tesla is local here in the Bay Area. We've seen them testing at Laguna on some of our track days. I've yet to see them complete a 20 minute session. After a few laps, they hook up to a gigantic diesel generator until the next session (where they do 3/4 laps). If they ever do manage more than a few minutes, any actual race that requires a pit-stop will cause the EV to lose badly. Unless it's a drag-race, or autocross, they're pretty far behind the ICE.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
I'd be ok if they did something like this with the Camaro: https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...a-future-cars/

Quote:
The Z06 will be followed by a new ZR1, which will likely bolt two turbochargers to the Z06's powerplant and subsequently pump out about 850 hp. Around the same time, expect to see a gasoline-electric hybrid Corvette, which will be the first production all-wheel-drive version of the model in its history. The rear wheels will be powered by the C8's 6.2-liter V-8 (or possibly something with a couple of fewer cylinders) and an electric motor. The front wheels will each get an electric motor.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #12
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’m not really worried about being able to mod the car as I am past that point in my life. When I wanted a car that performed as well as my SS, I saved up and bought my SS. I now want a car that performs as well as a ZL1 while costing the same or less than a Zl1. Instead of trying to get my SS to be as fast like I would have back in the day, I am just saving up for a ZL1 instead because at this point in my life I’ve learned to appreciate oem reliability and performance.

When it comes to electric cars, for me to get one we will have to be at the point where electric versions of normal cars like Honda civics and corollas, perform past whatever my gas performance car is in the future while also costing the same or less. I’m specifically referring to 60-130 times as I don’t care about 0-60 as doing constant launches will cause my drivetrain to eventually break. I’m looking forward to seeing how often half shafts (or whatever the equivalent is in an electric car) get replaced in the future from people doing high torque launches with them.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
My concern with EVs in the battery lifespan, currently you are looking at 10-12 years

When you compare that cost to gas cars it is roughly about the same amount as replacing the entire motor.

Kind of kills the whole used car market when you need to factor that in. Imagine looking at a 2012 Camaro right now and knowing it will need a full motor swap soon (regardless of miles) So, unless it was beyond bargain priced would you still want to buy it?
Old 04-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #14
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
My big issue with EV, is there are many questions and no solutions.

Forced switch to EV is like quitting heroin cold. Its just not that simple. There are things to consider and do before you can get to that point, and the EV industry is just not there, let alone is the infrastructure there to support it.

Example: In Detroit, MI they want to develop charge as you drive roads. Why? Most people in Detroit couldn't afford an EV anyways? Not to mention location is everything. Charge as you go roads should be major highways. Now add to the fact just how effective that system is going to be? Lack of charging stations is a big factor as well. So are only Major cities allow to charge as they drive? Here's a better question why hasn't anyone developed a self charging EV motor yet? I heard rumors Chevy might be working on it.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote