Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
Some Random Guy

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Feature skip regret?

Hey team, new member here!

I’m getting close to ordering a Camaro after my BRZ was wrecked at a red light. Are there any features you regret skipping? I’m all over the place on potential builds, so here are the candidates:

2SS Coupe Manual Transmission and magnetic ride control (top candidate)
LT1 Convertible M/T and technology package
3LT Convertible M/T V6, Hd cooling/brake

I’ve never tracked a car, so I probably won’t track this one. I feel like the 2SS with the fancy rearview and the blindspot monitoring is worth it because I dodge the convertible tax I was paying on the other 2 for increased visibility.
That being said, I’d love input on what features you think are must-haves after some time with yours. Also, are there any much easier to do on your own? For instance, is the Magnetic ride or a similar aftermarket simple enough to install I can skip it from the factory?
Thanks for the insight/wisdom!
Some Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Magnetic ride control was a MUST HAVE for me. Best way I can describe it is it’ll drive like a Cadillac and corner like a corvette when needed. This is a feature where you cannot get it installed outside of factory (well at least to my knowledge).

The NPP dual mode exhaust system (quad tip) is another great feature to get.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
Staves

Drives: women crazy
My '19 is a 1SS A10 with zero options. $35K discounted plus I owned a Mustang at the time so got that rebate too. So $33K was what I paid. I put a Borla S-type axleback on afterward which sounds better than the NPP option IMO and costs about the same.

Ride quality in stock form is great. Never once have I wished I could change it or soften it up, not once and I've taken 800 mi trips in my car. Visibility is a non-issue. Hate leather....love cloth. Not a single option I wish I had to be honest. I'd get my car the exact same way again. So probably not helpful to you, lol.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
ocurtis
Searching for my 6th Gen

Drives: In The Market
Since I have never had MRC, I can't say how much better it is. I do know that the car is a bit stiff over rough roads, but its expected for a sports car. this isnt my daily driver so I dont mind. if it was, I probably would. my 2019 Ram 2500 rides like a cadillac compared to the Camaro. that being said, the Camaro is perfect when I decide to drive it!

as far as the fancy camera thing for the rear view mirror - I thought it was a huge must have. after having it, I NEVER use it (I do mostly drive with my top down but even with it up I dont use it.) it is very wierd having a camera there that is constantly grabbing your eyes. I much prefer a standard mirror.

I thought NPP was a must, but after putting AWE axle back on, I prefer what I have. I did change to the quad tip for looks (required buying a new valance.)

If you dont care about leather, I would consider a 1SS. I love my 2SS but I require leather - so much easier to maintain
ocurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
npp was only the only factory option i wanted and got 1ss m6 with npp everything else i have addded/modified myself
Old 07-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post

I’m getting close to ordering a Camaro after my BRZ was wrecked at a red light. Are there any features you regret skipping? I’m all over the place on potential builds, so here are the candidates:

I’ve never tracked a car, so I probably won’t track this one. I feel like the 2SS with the fancy rearview and the blindspot monitoring is worth it because I dodge the convertible tax I was paying on the other 2 for increased visibility.
That being said, I’d love input on what features you think are must-haves after some time with yours. Also, are there any much easier to do on your own? For instance, is the Magnetic ride or a similar aftermarket simple enough to install I can skip it from the factory?
I'd go 2SS with MRC and NPP
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post

If you want MRC, get it from the factory. It's basically impossible to add the factory setup after the fact, and I don't think aftermarket systems are any cheaper or easier or better, unless you're building a serious racecar. My car doesn't have MRC and seems perfectly fine.

My car is a base 1SS, other than the NPP exhaust. Only option I really wish I'd gotten is the "split spoke" wheels, versus the doofy "twin blade" ones that seem to be standard. I don't understand how the "twin blades" can be standard in a world where all those other options exist.

If you look here, my car has RQAs, but I wanted RQ9s.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/09...ions-detailed/
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
My '19 is a 1SS A10 with zero options. $35K discounted plus I owned a Mustang at the time so got that rebate too. So $33K was what I paid. I put a Borla S-type axleback on afterward which sounds better than the NPP option IMO and costs about the same.

Ride quality in stock form is great. Never once have I wished I could change it or soften it up, not once and I've taken 800 mi trips in my car. Visibility is a non-issue. Hate leather....love cloth. Not a single option I wish I had to be honest. I'd get my car the exact same way again. So probably not helpful to you, lol.
If I was looking for the best bang(s) for buck: 1SS with no options - Upgrade to AWE dual axle back exhaust, upgrade to aftermarket speakers, amp, upgrade seats to after market covers (or order with recaro’s). Add other bits and pieces as you see fit. Wheels, tires, splitter, side skirts, paint protection film, rock guards. Consider ordering with the trunk lid the 1LE uses (so you can get the 1LE lip spoiler instead of the typical stock pedestal spoiler) This option is not available for convertibles.

I will say magnetic ride controls is nice for rougher roads, but non mag ride has a better more connected steering feel.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
Some Random Guy

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Thanks everyone, I never thought about the exhaust since that’s not exactly a feature of my Jeep or my previous cars. I forgot how much fun a V8 can be to wring out.
I definitely want the safety features of the 2SS vs the 1SS. Too many bad drivers doing crazy things, so a second set of sensors beyond my eyeballs and ears helps me out.
MRC seems pretty mandatory if I’m already spending this much.
Some Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
shoe5163

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS
I had a 2012 RS so it was loaded for a V6, then upgraded to 6th gen 2SS it was like a night and day difference and bonus the V8 shuts off 4 cylinders and gets better mpg than the V6. Then I traded my Ford Escape in for a fully loaded Cadillac SRX, can't live without all the bells and whistles now. You will enjoy the 2SS over the other 2 I believe.
shoe5163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
If I was starting with a no frills Camaro V8, and 1LE options were off the table (since you can't pick and choose, it's the whole package or not) I would take in this order:
Manual transmission
MRC
NPP
HUD
Recaro seats
Upgraded stereo infotainment

If the 1LE was an option I would take it plus everything above, some of which is a part of the 1LE package.

I'm more apt to miss performance options than luxury/entertainment options.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #12
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
only thing I wish I have that I don't is Recaros. much better seat for a spirited drive. but I didn't order new so my selection was limited.
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #13
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Get the Mag ride, You will NOT regret it, The ONLY owners that say don't bother with it are the ones that have NOT got it on their cars OR have Never Driven a car with it!!! Go for the NPP as well, You'll LOVE IT!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #14
Arizona_Droptop

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I was able to pick mine up used, and mine had basically every option. No way could I have afforded all these options new:

2SS, 6MT*, Convertible, NPP, Mag ride, Ground effects package, Performance air intake (plus radio and tires, but those are hardly noteworthy. I would rank them like this:

6MT
Convertible**
Mag ride
2SS stuff
NPP
Performance Air Intake
Ground effects package

*6MT is not an option per se since it comes standard, but it's the most important feature of the car to me
**Convertible is highly subjective. I live in Arizona, so year round sunshine and I don't track it. If you plan on tracking or live somewhere with a messy climate, probably not good for you. Otherwise it is probably the 2nd most important feature of my car.

You should be fine mixing up any of the top 4. The latter stuff on my list is great too, but you could easily omit them just fine
Arizona_Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote