Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #8247
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
132 MPH trap speed...he was moving!!
Holy shit you actually understand and acknowledge this

Like I said from the beginning, throw DRs on that GT500 and it's easily in the 10s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I beat every 6th Gen I ran yesterday, stock or not. And don’t forget, being a convertible I’m carrying a couple hundred extra pounds. The only time I lost against a 6th Gen yesterday it was an LT1, stock except 305s on the rear instead of the factory 245s. I clowned him the first time we ran, then I showed him how to use his launch control and he caught me at the line. Being an LT1 he’s much lighter than my convertible. The two ScatPacks that were there couldn’t get out of the 13s. And one of them was on Mickey Thompsons. I don’t mind being slower than the magazine numbers if I’m faster on the track where it counts. That’s why comparing different days / different tracks tends to go nowhere.
I remember your car is a convertible and I'm glad you listed most other car's times. I think many people don't understand real world drag strip times are not all VHT and roses. They are far from optimal conditions that hero runs and magazine times come from. Especially true of high hp cars on street tires.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #8248
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i believe most people:

a) don't know what their car should run
b) can't drive the car to its potential

neither of those mean just because everyone else was slow, you should be too

example: when i raced by car bone stock, here was the scenario

street night
bone stock 18 1LE
3940 lb raceweight (3720 car + 220 lb driver) i weighed the car (and myself)
da 2500'

car went 12.6 @ 115

there was a pray ported im/tb + rotofab a8 1ss car there,
it went 12.4 @ 114

also an a8 convertible with bolt ons/tune, made "470 whp". it went 12.2 @ 116

ive been drag racing various cars (and locations) for a long time. about the only time a car should be down 7+ mph is when the da is astronomical. otherwise there is a problem

maybe that track is uphill or something. i see a lot of underperforming cars come out of MI. maybe all you guys are going to the same tuner, idk.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #8249
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
DA at Lapeer Int. Dragway was about 1100' when he ran on 5/1 at 1:17 pm. That's not that high of a DA - in fact I love any DA less than 2000' here in Boise since it's usually higher (63 deg F and 3500' as I type this message).

Anyway, 112 mph trap does seem several mph low in 1,100' DA w/ LTs and Flexfuel tune and ported TB...even if it's 200 lbs heavier than a coupe.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #8250
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i believe most people:

a) don't know what their car should run
b) can't drive the car to its potential

neither of those mean just because everyone else was slow, you should be too

example: when i raced by car bone stock, here was the scenario

street night
bone stock 18 1LE
3940 lb raceweight (3720 car + 220 lb driver) i weighed the car (and myself)
da 2500'

car went 12.6 @ 115

there was a pray ported im/tb + rotofab a8 1ss car there,
it went 12.4 @ 114

also an a8 convertible with bolt ons/tune, made "470 whp". it went 12.2 @ 116

ive been drag racing various cars (and locations) for a long time. about the only time a car should be down 7+ mph is when the da is astronomical. otherwise there is a problem

maybe that track is uphill or something. i see a lot of underperforming cars come out of MI. maybe all you guys are going to the same tuner, idk.
I believe that there is also the C option...those who don't really care to run the car all the way to it's potential. Some people just go to enjoy the track and see what the car can do. Not everyone wants to sit around loading up race tunes, paying for race gas, lowering the tire pressure, trying different launch techniques, etc, just to squeeze out every last 100th which BTW doesn't bring them any money or any benefit. I might be in the minority but I personally never cared to do any of that. The fastest my 5th Gen went was a 12.8 and that was just feathering the clutch at takeoff and on regular tire pressure. My ZL1 went 11.8 and that was just easing onto the gas. I was completely satisfied with those results because I know I can squeeze more out if I had to or wanted to.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #8251
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
There’s also a D option. Could just be a slow track. I ran against (3) 6th Gen coupes and beat them all. I only know the mod status of one of them (same mods as me plus axle-back and LT2 intake), so I’ll assume the other two were stock. One of them best me the second time we ran after I showed him how to use launch control. FWIW, most of my trap speeds were in the 114s.

There were also two ScatPacks there that I don’t think ever got out of the 13s. One of them was on Mickey Thompsons.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #8252
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
people go to the drag strip in performance cars they pay premiums for....but don't care how they perform. people are further modding performance cars to make them perform better, yet refuse to acknowledge there may be an issue when they don't.

yep, nothing has changed at the drag strips in the last 20 years lol
Old 05-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #8253
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
people go to the drag strip in performance cars they pay premiums for....but don't care how they perform. people are further modding performance cars to make them perform better, yet refuse to acknowledge there may be an issue when they don't.

yep, nothing has changed at the drag strips in the last 20 years lol
I'm not saying they don't care how the car performs. I'm saying they're satisfied with what they might think is good enough. For me, 11.8 was definitely good enough considering how little effort it took me to run that time. It certainly wasn't worth it to me to lower tire pressure or do any other tricks to get the most out of it. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Even with my SS I never cared to do any of that extra stuff. I got it to 12.8 and that was good enough.

You have to remember that the performance numbers are not the only reason we pay premiums for these cars. If performance was the only thing that mattered then we'd all be in older cheaper cars. We pay for ZL1s because of the performance, style, options, features, etc. On top of getting a car that is out the box much faster than a SS without having to void a warranty and while still holding a much higher value.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #8254
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
There’s also a D option. Could just be a slow track. I ran against (3) 6th Gen coupes and beat them all. I only know the mod status of one of them (same mods as me plus axle-back and LT2 intake), so I’ll assume the other two were stock. One of them best me the second time we ran after I showed him how to use launch control. FWIW, most of my trap speeds were in the 114s.

There were also two ScatPacks there that I don’t think ever got out of the 13s. One of them was on Mickey Thompsons.
I don't think that track is really slow, after all, 132 trap speed for that GT500 is really good.

As far as your own 112~114 trap speeds, I do think those are below expectation with the mods that you listed. Yes I am accounting for the weight of the convertible, as I know someone with an SS vert and bolt on mods, so I have seen what they can do.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #8255
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I don't think that track is really slow, after all, 132 trap speed for that GT500 is really good.

As far as your own 112~114 trap speeds, I do think those are below expectation with the mods that you listed. Yes I am accounting for the weight of the convertible, as I know someone with an SS vert and bolt on mods, so I have seen what they can do.
It is, but a 11.25 1/4 is slow for a GT500. Just like a 13s 1/4 is slow for a ScatPack.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #8256
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
It is, but a 11.25 1/4 is slow for a GT500. Just like a 13s 1/4 is slow for a ScatPack.
This is launch related, the MPH of the GT500 proves it, and I'm sure the Scatpacks likely had poor 60' times as well.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #8257
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm not saying they don't care how the car performs. I'm saying they're satisfied with what they might think is good enough. For me, 11.8 was definitely good enough considering how little effort it took me to run that time. It certainly wasn't worth it to me to lower tire pressure or do any other tricks to get the most out of it. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Even with my SS I never cared to do any of that extra stuff. I got it to 12.8 and that was good enough.

You have to remember that the performance numbers are not the only reason we pay premiums for these cars. If performance was the only thing that mattered then we'd all be in older cheaper cars. We pay for ZL1s because of the performance, style, options, features, etc. On top of getting a car that is out the box much faster than a SS without having to void a warranty and while still holding a much higher value.

you can't lower tire pressure hahhahahahahahhaa OMFG ROFL
Old 05-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #8258
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Probably driver related, those GT500s have fat 315 tires do they not, and he got a 2 second short time. The fact that you got a 1.8 short time, assuming that you had street tires not drag tires, points to the track itself not being so bad.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #8259
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
you can't lower tire pressure hahhahahahahahhaa OMFG ROFL
For me at least, lowering tire pressure has no effect. Run-flats have very stiff sidewalls. A couple years ago I was lowering my pressures after every run, wondering why I wasn’t getting improvement in 60’. Then it hit me like a freight train.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #8260
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post

Lapeer Intl Dragway just posted this to their FaceBook page...don’t know if this has any bearing on the times / trap speeds...

Attention in the pits!!

Sense we had the track Re surfaced , there was always that choppy spot at the 1000’ area and the concrete to asphalt transition has gradually been getting worse. We are getting that re done during the first or second week in June . At that point we can open up the quarter mile for competition!!